Dipoles and Atmos

Martos

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my trusty Arcam AVR450 and Kef R Series speakers (R500, 200c and R800ds) to an Atmos capable receiver and speaker setup, but have been reading up that my rears arent going to work well being dipoles?

Does anyone have experience of using dipoles as rears, as i dont really want ot have to replace my rears. They sound great and arent the cheapest!

gibbsy

Plenty of members use dipoles with an Atmos layout. The same criteria of the height at which you have the dipoles at is the main consideration. They should be at just above a seated head height. Perhaps the most popular at the MA FX speakers. As you rightly say the R800s are just too good to replace, I take it your seating is close to a rear wall?

Martos

Yes, seating is at the back of the room, with the dipoles just behind the seats (on the side wall), and they are about 18" above head height.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I use arrendal S which are tripoles and fantastic for atmos.

your kefs will be phenomenal too for atmos IMO. i still get clear directionality but with an increased bubble as opposed to the old bookshelves i used. i think dolby are just being strict for no reason when hating on dipoles.

gibbsy

No need to alter the height, should be fine. Atmos will be limited to just two speakers with a sofa against a rear wall. If they are to be ceiling speakers then place them above where your knees are going to be in a seated position and in line with the fronts.

Martos

I was going to go for Kef r50 or q50a upward firing speakers for my atmo speakers, as putting in ceiling speakers isn't really an option.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I was going to go for Kef r50 or q50a upward firing speakers for my atmo speakers, as putting in ceiling speakers isn't really an option.

I use them, they are okay. give a nice feeling of height. in ceilling would be better probably. they are subtle.

i think i would probably take a 7.1 over a 5.1.2 tho in hindsight and put my rears and surrounds slightly higher for the illusion of atmos height.

Martos

Unfortunately I can't do 7.1 as its a big window behind the seats and there's nowhere to mount the rears.

I think I'll go for 5.1.2 and see how it fares. Now to get the wife to approve the spend!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

Then get the best you can afford, R50 is clearly spot on with the rest of your gear. Found this:

PS. If you going to stick with Arcam there is AVR550 for 1300£ (2800£ RRP) at Richer Sounds. Looking the specs it looks very similar to AVR450 just newer with Atmos etc. although still 2015/2016 model so misses some newest features.. Newest model similar to your machine AVR20 goes for 3000£. Good thread about the differences:

Martos

Then get the best you can afford, R50 is clearly spot on with the rest of your gear. Found this:

PS. If you going to stick with Arcam there is AVR550 for 1300£ (2800£ RRP) at Richer Sounds. Looking the specs it looks very similar to AVR450 just newer with Atmos etc. although still 2015/2016 model so misses some newest features.. Newest model similar to your machine AVR20 goes for 3000£. Good thread about the differences:

Yes, the AVR550 is what i'm looking at. The additional features of the AVR20 just arent worth the price difference.

rpr

My sides and rears are dipole/bipole which I run switched to bipole and they work really well as such.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
you will have the same setup as me. The tripoles I have as my surrounds make a MASSIVE improvement on creating a rear space so it will work well. The only gap will be directly behind your head (obviously).

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom