Dipole/Bipole Surrounds For Yamaha DSP-AZ1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Apocalypse, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently use Paradigm ADP 150 bipolar surrounds for the DSP-A1 which is 110watts per channel with the speakers rated to 90 watts. At the end of the month I'm getting the AZ1 which is rated to 130 watt per channel so I think I need to beef up my surrounds now. The problem is even surrounds costing £400-£500 can only rate up to 120 watts (Monitor Audio Silver FXi or B&W CDM-SNT) so am I at risk of killing these speakers with the AZ1 or am I missing something here :blush:

On another note, as the Yamaha uses a single rear centre is it possible to use a centre speaker for these duties :)

If anyone has some suggestions for other surround speakers preferably costing under £500 please fire away.

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The wattage rating on speakers isn't really important, and it's meaning is all but inconsequential. I'm sure that someone with more technical eloquence will be able to tell you more accurately why this is the case. Rest assured that your Paradigms are fine for the Yamaha.

I think that you can use a pair of speakers in the same binding posts, rather than use a single centre. One of the magazines (I think it was HCC or Hifi Choice) did this on the old AX1 with a pair of KEF THX dipoles. If you still want to use the single centre, then I would use the same centre speaker as the front one.

Russell

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply m8, if my Paradigm's are fine for the AZ1 I have a cunning plan then, I'll prolly get the Monitor Audio surrounds for the side of the room and the Paradigm's for the rear. I'll have to look into this using a pair of speakers on the same binding posts thingie, thanks for the tip ;)

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Agree with russraff, shouldn't be a problem as this is the maximum power handling and not the constant load.

So if you keep things at a normal level I wouldn't see a problem.