1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dipolar speaker placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gandley, Dec 31, 2004.

1. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Hi all need some advice

Im just closing a deal on a brand new property and so i am giving advanced consideration to my home cinema setup.
    As the place is new i want to limit the amount of seen cable and at present dont realy want to open up the walls.
    is there any reason why i cant fit all 4 surround speakers at ceiling level and route the cable between the floor. this would put the speakers quite high up but then they arent high ceilings. Would this be a bad idea for the sound. the speakers would be angle towards the floor slightly but is there a good reason why i shouldnt do this?

Thanks for the help

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I dont see any reason why that wouldn't work :D

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I cant see a problem either, but i get this nagging feeling it might not be ideal. Having said that i will be sitting closer to the rear wall so i dont want them right at my ear level when sat down either. I also note the odeon speakers are high up as well so it cant be all wrong. Should be alright? :rolleyes:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Just to make sure that we have the terminology correct as it depends on what you mean by four "surround speakers". If you mean four rear speakers then you shouldn't have a problem mounting them high and facing them downwards if the seats are not flush against the rear wall but if you are referring to a pair of fronts and a pair of rears then ceiling mounting the front pair will not be ideal

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Sure, surround backs and surround rears (as 6.1 setup) not fronts, centre.

Will the seat need to be forward by much say 0.5-1m?(the side 2 will be ok but the surround backs is what i mean here distance wise)