Dinosaur R1 - Info Needed, please help

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Ace007, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know what the situation regarding the re-issue of Dinosuar on R1 is?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Ace

2. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A while ago there was talk of a reissue. I just wanted to know if there was anything confirmed yet?

Cheers
    Ace

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ace, we've had a lot of thread on this subject. Disney's official response was there there would be no recall as the disc was not defective on all players (just most! hehe).

At least in the US, they were offering to refund anyone not happy with the DVD. I would expect that any subsquent pressing of Dinosaur have no such problems though I haven't heard that for definite. As for discs supplied over here - dunno.

It's basically bad authoring and quality control. Though an absolutely gorgeous disc in terms of image and sound quality, it seems to trip up a lot of players. It's also not the first time Disney have managed to fudge a release.

Rob Gillespie www.hometheaterforum.com

[This message has been edited by Rob Gillespie (edited 27-03-2001).]

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem was caused by not all players having enough memory to buffer the onscreen menus etc,

Technically the disc is meant to be in spec, but as some players make cutback and the dvd spec isn't exact this means that some players won't play the disc.

Mostly the cheapo ones.

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not just the menus and it certainly isn't only cheap players that are affected.

On my Pioneer Elite DV-09 the pause function doesn't work most of the time. Hit pause on the front of the deck and you're taken into some of the supplemental sections at random. Only way to get back into the film is to stop and reload the disc.

It's the only disc I've ever had any kind of problem with on the DV-09.

7. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob is right, I had the problem on my Pioneer737 which not exactly a budget machine.

Didn't they make a statement a while ago on how they wanted to keep their customers happy, which suggested they may have something planned for a re-issue?

Cheers
    Ace

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pause button not working is a feature of the disc.

The disc defaults to a subtitle track that feature locks many of the controls, this is so kids dom't accicently jump backwards/forwards in scenes etc.

Also one of the subtitle tracks is used to jump between the film and extra features. (bit like the white rabbit feature on the Matrix)

Setting subtitles to off manually gives you back full control.

9. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried turning subs off, no difference!

10. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you here that this was an official feature CW? I don't recall Disney saying anything about this in their response.

Thing is - cycling through the subs brings erratic results. Sometimes the subs themselves stay on despite turning them OFF. The pause function does indeed work with the subs on but it's still haphazard and upredicatable.

Sorry, I'm not saying you're wrong but it if Disney did say that then it just sounds like a poor excuse.

[This message has been edited by Rob Gillespie (edited 29-03-2001).]

11. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Guys,

This is straight from Disney, I just gave them a call(USA) and was told that they are working on a re-issue but are having problems getting it to work on all players.

So at least they are working on it, I think they will eventually do a re-issue because they can always disable the gimmicky interactive content and just have them in the extra's, like they do anyway.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
    Ace

12. Brigadeer

Brigadeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be a "pop" fault on the dts centre track towards the end of chapter 2 as the bird flys over the waves with egg in mouth...has anyone else noticed this?

13. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +514
    Just to add my bit, my Sony 7700 didn't play this disc properly either (another cheap player!!!!!).
    My player would freeze for a couple of seconds on about three scenes before resuming play.
    Play247 refunded me, and (for the first time in ages) I purchased the R2 version of the disc. This works fine but is minus the DTS track which is a slight downer.

14. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the record, I've got a Panasonic 110 R1 and a Sony 725 multiregion and it works fine on both!

I thought for a minute that it might just be Pioneer...but maybe not?

BTW, my kids must have watched it well over 40 times! ;)