Question Dinosaur Philips tele,

Gondawanna Man

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey there guys šŸ™‚
Iā€™m still using the Philips PFL47ā€ we bought in London quite a few yrs back. When they first came out with the Ambilights. It still works fine even tho used daily now with the lockdowns. I remember how much better the picture was over the previous Sony Plasma. And Iā€™m still impressed with it but my question is itā€™s now quite old tech with 4K and eARC and OLED here and it is used a lot for music via Spotify plus we have Apple TV 4K and a new Denon receiver so given that the screen size canā€™t change much maybe to 50ā€ due to the room being quite small is it worth the upgrade? (Especially regarding sound quality).

Sorry but I canā€™t just delete this. Iā€™m just gonna get the new 50ā€ anyway if itā€™s got eARC a local shop has them on sale so probs the 2019 model. Reading the thread Iā€™m sure it will be a big improvement with 4K.
Of course if Iā€™m wrong please feel free to stop me wasting money I donā€™t havešŸ˜Æ

I am 99% certain that Philips TV donā€™t do earc, so, if thatā€™s Important to you then any other tv whorls be required.

I would not buy a new TV on the assumption the picture quality / sound will be better, nor would I suggest buying one if you are happy with current set up.

would suggest that you ask the shop to do you a demo (DVD, Netflix Program or TV programs that you usually watch so that you can see the quality. Try to sit at the same angle to that which you normally watch TV

I am 99% certain that Philips TV donā€™t do earc, so, if thatā€™s Important to you then any other tv whorls be required.

I would not buy a new TV on the assumption the picture quality / sound will be better, nor would I suggest buying one if you are happy with current set up.

would suggest that you ask the shop to do you a demo (DVD, Netflix Program or TV programs that you usually watch so that you can see the quality. Try to sit at the same angle to that which you normally watch TV
agree, no earc and demo is a must as philips changed since then. Another best option buy and test with your kit before 14 day runs out if don;t like it return. Main issue is that there are always compatibility issues with one or another.

Ok sound advice lol Really appreciate your input.
Iā€™ll do the demo. The 65 PUS (horrible acronym rightšŸ¤¢) is still Made in the Netherlands so maybe Iā€™ll give that a try as itā€™s on sale here now. I was only thinking eARC to control more components like a Mac and DVD with the one RC.
šŸ¤™

Ok sound advice lol Really appreciate your input.
Iā€™ll do the demo. The 65 PUS (horrible acronym rightšŸ¤¢) is still Made in the Netherlands so maybe Iā€™ll give that a try as itā€™s on sale here now. I was only thinking eARC to control more components like a Mac and DVD with the one RC.
šŸ¤™
keep in mind 43 and 65 pus has IPS panel as oppose to other sizes. Whilst I personally have nothing against IPS but you might experience some glow and lack of black, but then with VA you loose viewing angles. Tv supports ARC and does have I think easylink support, well at least my soundbar is controlled by tv remote. But you do loose onscreen volume display, no big deal but weird :D

Well I donā€™t have anything negative to say about this old 47ā€ PFL or PLF (canā€™t remember correct acronymšŸ˜…) I think the demo idea is gonna be the answeršŸ‘

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom