dinosaur needs help

stvsxm

Novice Member
Reaction score
hi, understand you are talking to someone that still uses a flip phone.... so please answer as if you are talking to a golden retriever ...

i have to travel in the us in august so i bought a new, factory unlocked samsung 547 smart phone. assume for the sake of this discussion that just slamming the sim from my flip ph in it is NOT the answer to this problem...

so i am looking at prepaid sim cards/plans at walmart etc... everybody i contact... mint, trackphone h20 say that my ph is NOT compatible with their network. i don't understand why. the specs are 4g and lte compatible ... whatever that means and when i called samsung tech support on the phone THEY say it should work just fine. can someone shed some light on this for me please ? all i need is a sim card with a ph number for a month or two... seems to me it should't be that hard...

so i bought a new, factory unlocked samsung 547 smart phone. assume for the sake of this discussion that just slamming the sim from my flip ph in it is NOT the answer to this problem...

if this is the phone you’ve bought you can expect even more problems, it’s also a dinosaur and won’t run many modern apps.

so i am looking at prepaid sim cards/plans at walmart etc... everybody i contact... mint, trackphone h20 say that my ph is NOT compatible with their network. i don't understand why. the specs are 4g and lte compatible ...

LTE is a broad term, different countries and different networks operate on different bands. You need to check which bands the desired network operates on (for example, common UK LTE bands are Band 1, Band 3, Band 7, Band 20), the US operates on a number of other bands. That’s something you need to research for each operator.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
hi, understand you are talking to someone that still uses a flip phone.... so please answer as if you are talking to a golden retriever ...

i have to travel in the us in august so i bought a new, factory unlocked samsung 547 smart phone. assume for the sake of this discussion that just slamming the sim from my flip ph in it is NOT the answer to this problem...

so i am looking at prepaid sim cards/plans at walmart etc... everybody i contact... mint, trackphone h20 say that my ph is NOT compatible with their network. i don't understand why. the specs are 4g and lte compatible ... whatever that means and when i called samsung tech support on the phone THEY say it should work just fine. can someone shed some light on this for me please ? all i need is a sim card with a ph number for a month or two... seems to me it should't be that hard...
Dinosaur, or are you exhibiting american standards of poverty ?

Upvote 0
well... i am not without a sense of humor but i don't get what you are driving at . while there is certainly ample ammunition for picking on amnerican stereo types, this isn't one. i just like to keep things simple and i find the fact that you guys need to spend a grand on a different phone every three weeks so you can update your facebook acct in .00087 nano seconds instead of .00092 more than a little amusing myself.

Upvote 0
i actually did that. there is a frequency checker Samsung SGH-i547 Galaxy Rugby Pro / Galaxy Rugby LTE Compatibility in United States and it lists all the carriers and all the frequencies but when you talk to these guys its like talking to a stone wall.... they say " its not compatible " i say " why ? " and they say " it's just not " and i don't need or want any apps... all i need is a phone.

To be honest, you’d be better off looking for an old style feature phone, the Samsung i547 is so antiquated that it’s unlikely to even operate satisfactorily as a phone, it’s performance capability will barely run the operating system.

Upvote 0
well... i am not without a sense of humor but i don't get what you are driving at . while there is certainly ample ammunition for picking on amnerican stereo types, this isn't one. i just like to keep things simple and i find the fact that you guys need to spend a grand on a different phone every three weeks so you can update your facebook acct in .00087 nano seconds instead of .00092 more than a little amusing myself.
there was no offence meant, my phone is 12 years old, and i can't remember the last time i used it, just found that clip relevant because you seemed embarrassed with your flip phone

Upvote 0
Tracfone , h2o and Mint use other networks to connect to. They are Mobile Virtual Network Operators. Some use T-Mobile which uses CDMA rather than GSM (which most of the world uses). This means many phones are not compatible with it.

Mint uses T-Mobile and Tracfone uses a variety of networks including T-Mobile. h20 uses AT&T which is standard GSM.

Avoid Mint unless you want to source a CDMA phone. Tracfone you will need to specify it's a GSM phone you have.

Upvote 0
Mint uses T-Mobile

Avoid Mint unless you want to source a CDMA phone.

I think you’ve confused T-Mobile with Sprint. Sprint was merged with T-Mobile and run a CDMA based network (it’s in the process of being decommissioned and new customers are connected to T-Mobiles GSM network), T-Mobile is a GSM based network (UMTS 3G and now LTE 4G and NR 5G).

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom