1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dinosaur Jr

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by karkus30, Oct 6, 2003.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    "Living all over me"

A proper album is this, not a prog. bit in sight.

I have waited over a year to get this and it was worth the wait.

Its out of print, but after a long search, eventually found a copy for sale on the USA Ebay.

Whats it like ?

If your a Husker Du, Nirvana, Replacements and Meat Puppet fan you will love it.

Noisome pop / Grunge with clever melody lines.

Anyone else own this?? :smashin:

2. Kali

Kali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't be out of print, I've seen it several times in the shops.. personally I only have Green Mind and Bug, but Living All Over Me is meant to be one of their better releases.

On a slightly similar vein headin to see Lou Barlow & Jason Lowenstein doing an acoustic Sebadoh set next week.. can't wait.

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    "seen enough to eye you, but I've seen to much to try you..."

ace band, seen them live too... 8o)

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    If you have, buy it and sell on ebay. Its definitely not in print, tried all the usual routes, lots of sites promising they could get it. Tried loads of shops in the UK just in case..........but no dice.

Cost me about £12 so Im happy with that, but saw it selling for over $30 + !!. Tried the SST site, cos meat puppets are also on that label and were re released, but nothing.

5. ratso-rizzo

ratso-rizzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Meat Puppets stuff was rereleased on another label (Rykodisc). 'Huevos' - top album, especially 'Sexy Music'. 'Up On The Sun' - another lost classic.

'Living All Over Me' is a fine album - always preferred it to 'Bug'. Haven't seen it in the shops for ages (though I haven't been looking as I bought on CD around 1989!).

Anyone have the one sided vinyl thingy of 'Just Like Heaven' with the freaky etching on the other side? I bought it on CD instead - wish I'd got the vinyl now....

Ever listen to a band called 'Thin White Rope'? Sort of a cross between Johnny Cash, Sonic Youth and Crazy Horse. Monstrous guitar noise and feedback etc. with a country flavour. Check out their 2nd and 3rd albums - 'Moonhead' and 'In The Spanish Cave'. You'll thank me for it.

Ratso:D

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261

Yeah,
    your right it was Ryko, I have Huevos and up on the sun and a signed poster (drummer only) of the Up on the sun album cover as a poster (if that makes sense).

Is Thin White Rope easy to find, seems right up my street.

7. ratso-rizzo

ratso-rizzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Karkus,

You should be able to find TWR on eBay relatively easy - there 3 or so copies of 'Spanish Cave' up for grabs at the moment. It's probably the better of the two albums, though 'Moonhead' is still fantastic. There's also a compilation album called 'Spoor' but it's mostly singles which didn't feature on albums and rare tracks etc. If you can get it cheap, fair enough, but I think I would still start off with the other two albums.

Ratso

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    :eek: :blush: :laugh: now I know what "thin white rope means"

What about the album "sack full of silver" (another double entendre I would presume). All music guide rates it as the best buy??

9. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Spent a rainy Sunday in anout 1993 repeatedly spinning my flatmate's TWR collection...very good it was too with "Sack Full Of Silver" and "Squatters Rights" being the albums I can remember striking that certain chord.

I always meant to pick up their stuff for myself but never got round to it..."Ruby Sea" got rave reviews when it came out (I missed it :rolleyes:) and so did "The One That Got Away" (missed that too :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

Not sure about the Dinosaur Jr comparison -- thinking back, they may have had more of a Calexico style about them which ought to please Mr Karkus.

10. ratso-rizzo

ratso-rizzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - a family forum such as this is probably not the place to discuss the origins of TWR's name:eek:

'Sack Full' was their first major label album and a bit diluted compared to the two previous ('Moonhead' etc.). 'Squatters Rights' was a compilation CD though most of the tracks later reappeared on 'Spoor'. 'One That Got Away' was a double live CD of their last gig (there was also a video released).

I saw them live quite a few times - completely awesome. Their rendition of Lee Hazelwood & Nancy Sinatras 'Some Velvet Morning' reduced me to a blubbering wreck every time. Their version of 'Yoo Doo Right' by Can was also a bit of a ****kicker.

Ratso:D