Dinosaur Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Sep 18, 2007.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      Reviewed by Chris McEneany
      A great film that actually tells a darker and more vicious story than you would normally expect from Disney. All the prerequisite things that the studio endorses are here in spades – outsider gains acceptance, finds love, family values of trust and dependability, standing up for oneself as well as the greater good – but the villainy involved is of an altogether different order than usual. Conniving crooks and swindlers are out, as are greedy, back-stabbing siblings. "In" are prehistoric animals that are just nasty because they are either bigger or hungrier than the good guys.

If you have the SD double-disc release, I really can’t see the point of an upgrade to this edition. The picture may be better, barring that colour banding issue, but not by enough of a margin. The sound isn’t even much of step-up from the old DD mix – definitely granny and neighbour-friendly – and the extras are simply woeful. Disney were quick to roll this one out it seems, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to discover them unearthing it again for a remastered, all-singing, all-dancing version some time in the future. For the time being, leave Dinosaur’s Blu-ray fossils were they are and make do with your more, perhaps, primitive standard copy.
      Read the full review...

2. Andy_Jack

Andy_Jack

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18
      Not much improvement for Blu-Ray then? I don't know, you didn't compare.

I have the normal SD DVD version and it looks fab. Not worth getting the BD version?

3. Chris McEneany

Chris McEneany

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +390
      This review was never meant to be a full-on comparison. But I still made plenty of references throughout it about the quality between the BD and SD versions that I have. The final paragraph in the verdict says it all really.

The BD does have a better image and sound, as I state, but with nowhere near-enough superiority to warrant upgrading to if you already own the double-discer, in my opinion.

cheers,

Mad Mac :devil:

4. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +71
      This is the weakest Disney release and it was from their first week of releasing. Avoid it like the plague.