DinoPC - New Gaming PC advice

OldSkoO1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Not feeling PS4 gaming, can't get the same feel as i did on PC gaming.

Would like to get back into gaming and want something decent. Not too fussed about 4k as i know there are too many sacrifices on graphics. I am out of touch so i have a few questions.

How about this
Primal GTX SLI Gaming PC

Upgrades
CPU: i5 6600k - OC to 4.5ghz
Memory: 16GB @ 3200mhz

Not sure about
GPU: Should i upgrade £100 to - NEW! 2 x MSI GeForce® GTX 1070 ARMOR 8GB OC Edition

Motherboard: Should i upgrade this?

Cooling: Should i get additional cooling?

Anything else to consider?

Reading up, it seems that the preferred config is 1440p with 144mhz g-sync and an ideal of 60fps avg in games like BF4/BF1.

thanks

Personally, I'd go single card. What display will you be using, and how would you feel about a self-build?

I have self built before yes, is it a cost saving suggestion / get more for your money?

How come single card? I thought SLI would give me the most performance as the current Nvidia 1080 cards aren't quite there yet and a dual 1070 would outperform them?

Monitor wise, i'm yet to buy but a 1440p 1ms 144mhz monitor i thought but open to suggested for any build up to about 1,600 excluding monitor.

thank you

How come single card? I thought SLI would give me the most performance as the current Nvidia 1080 cards aren't quite there yet and a dual 1070 would outperform them?
General rule of thumb is to get the very best single card you can afford now, and add another (or upgrade) later. If I could afford two 1070s, then I'd rather get a single 1080.

Most, if not all, current games run very well at max settings in 1440p on the 1080, especially if you have a g-sync monitor. And it gives you the option of getting another later rather than maxing out your SLI configuration to start with and then having to ditch both 1070 cards sooner rather than later.

SLI can also introduce weird issues in some games (mostly older ones) and it doesn't always scale as well as you'd expect - it's very game-dependent on how well it works. Also if you have any plans to get into VR, then SLI is off the table (for now anyway).

I have self built before yes, is it a cost saving suggestion / get more for your money?

Yes, agree with @ArmitageShanks, if you've got bags of cash then go for a 1080! We all recommend self-builds, you know exactly what you're getting and yes, you can potentially save some dosh. If you go to something like the UK part picker website, or check out the recommended builds in the sticky thread, you might see something you like. Scan's daily deal page is worth bookmarking too, you get free delivery as an AVF member.

Thanks for this advice i really appreciate it.

It has saved me money and mistakes. I researched this today and SLI vs 1080 benchmark videos show it isn't worth going SLI.

i guess i've switched up my ideas a bit now. I quite like this overclockers build
Titan Virtual Force VR Gaming PC - Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphic

although slower ram.
I don't think i need the i7 for gaming but could be persuaded.

I plan on getting a 1440p 144mhz g-sync 1ms monitor. Asus or Benq i've seen.

Opinions differ concerning i5 vs i7. If your budget is large then go i7, otherwise I'd get the top-end Skylake i5 K edition. A bunch of us are on i5s going way back to Sandybridge and they seem to be holding their own for gaming still, especially with a boost OC.

Storage-wise, I started with a smallish SSD back in the day for Windows, subsequently added a 512Gb one for games (plus a HDD for everything else). I'd recommend going large "just in case", especially if you like open world games as they do benefit.

although slower ram.
Ram shmam :p

RAM speed is not as crucial as you'd think, at least when it comes to games. 2400MHz RAM would be fine, anything faster is really subject to extreme laws of diminishing returns.

I blew money on 3200MHz memory only to discover it's horribly unstable on my particular rig, so run it at 2400MHz instead. It doesn't make a huge difference IMO.

thanks great to hear this advice.

I think i have settled on this now
I went with i7 6800k in the end.
Code:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/titan-virtual-force-vr-gaming-pc-intel-core-i5-6600k-4.5ghz-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-graphic-fs-002-og.html#p=AqDV)+AqEV))AqF16~_AqGV)!AqHV)uAqIV)xAsTV~~ACDV:,DIO11~*

but i have asked to swap the GPU to
Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 iChill Air Boss X3 8192MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card (C108V3-2SDN-P6DN
Seems to have higher base and is overclocked, also massive cooling. I just wonder if i could fit 2 in the case for SLI in future if i ever do that.

And a different SSD
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/samsu...hd-22d-sa.html
That seems like the next gen and is pretty rapid.

If i can swap those 2 i will probably place the order.

To go with my dell s2716dg

Well done fella. Stress test the shizz out of that thing and make sure it stands up to it

all done :)

looking forward to getting it next week :)

i7 6800k @ 4.5
16gb 3000mhz ram
256gb m.2 Samsung SSD
inno3d GTX 1080 iChilll x3 (core clock 1759MHz) - massive cooling

Really looking forward to it now. Hope it is stable.

Enjoy your new PC!

thanks great to hear this advice.

I think i have settled on this now
I went with i7 6800k in the end.

You do understand a i7 6800K is a 6 core Broadwell-E processor that needs a 2011v3 socket - X99 chipset - motherboard. It's unlikely you'll get a 4.5 GHz overclock out of it. Maybe 4.2GHz at best.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom