Dino Dini's Kick Off Revival - Out 17th June 2016

hotspur77

I tried it late on Sunday night. A good few improvements. I like the ratings in brackets so you know how you rank against your opponent. I lost 6-5 against someone ranked way above me (top 3 or 4) and even though I lost my ranking went up and his went down. It was good to make a little bit of sense of it. Also the cards are a good addition however some refs give straight reds for any foul at all and others give no yellow or red card for a bad foul just outside or even inside the box. I'm pleased you can adjust the sound volume, such as music, crowd etc. Overall a decent improvement and I seemed to be able to find a game online much easier. That was possibly due to a lot of people on testing the new patch though.

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
Patch hasn't changed much for me, it's still a really poor game unfortunately. I played a few games last night, then switched to SWOS on an Amiga emulator and SWOS walks all over KOR. And SWOS is 22 years old!

SuperSportBilly

Patch hasn't changed much for me, it's still a really poor game unfortunately. I played a few games last night, then switched to SWOS on an Amiga emulator and SWOS walks all over KOR. And SWOS is 22 years old!

We do agree that SWOS isn't better than Kick Off 2 though don't we !?!

We do agree that SWOS isn't better than Kick Off 2 though don't we !?!

Only if you're mental! SWOS was amazing, the depth has never been matched and the gameplay sublime.

Miss the days of being able to play 4-5 seasons in a day! Now it's 4-5 months to play a season in Fifa!

Jimster71

Distinguished Member
I went from kick-off 2 to Sensible Soccer/SWOS and then back to Goal. Sensi was fun, but it got too predictable and too easy to score. Had much better matches on KO2 and Goal. Playing Kick Off Revival last night felt a lot more like proper Kick Off than it did before the patch. It has the potential to be better than Kick Off due to the full analogue controls. People don't have the patience to learn games these days. It took ages to get decent at Kick Off games. There's always more than a touch of rose tinted spectacles when remembering retro titles.

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
I went from kick-off 2 to Sensible Soccer/SWOS and then back to Goal. Sensi was fun, but it got too predictable and too easy to score. Had much better matches on KO2 and Goal. Playing Kick Off Revival last night felt a lot more like proper Kick Off than it did before the patch. It has the potential to be better than Kick Off due to the full analogue controls. People don't have the patience to learn games these days. It took ages to get decent at Kick Off games. There's always more than a touch of rose tinted spectacles when remembering retro titles.

I'd argue that opposite, people will see a poor game being good because they have such love for the series that they'll only see the positives with rose tinted glasses.

You see it an awful lot with PES in particular with people sticking with it and swearing each year is amazing despite so many others disagreeing.

Jimster71

Distinguished Member
I'd argue that opposite, people will see a poor game being good because they have such love for the series that they'll only see the positives with rose tinted glasses.

You see it an awful lot with PES in particular with people sticking with it and swearing each year is amazing despite so many others disagreeing.

I'd heard that recent PES games were pretty decent. I've not tried them though (or fifa for the past couple of years). Rocket League is the best football game there is anyway ;)

SuperSportBilly

Only if you're mental! SWOS was amazing, the depth has never been matched and the gameplay sublime.

Miss the days of being able to play 4-5 seasons in a day! Now it's 4-5 months to play a season in Fifa!

Nope - Kick Off 2 had far more depth and required more skill. As mentioned earlier in the thread myself and my friend pitched ourselves into the National Championships a few years ago and did okay. We took a few wins off the regulars on the circuit much to their surprise at the newbies coming from nowhere.

We certainly put the work in through long nights at University so certainly earned those wins with sweat, tears and probably blood !!

I enjoyed SWOS and its sense of fun but Kick Off 2 was hardcore !

We introduced Kick Off 2 to our sons recently, aged 10 & 12, and to our surprise they really enjoyed it once they got the hang of the ball not sticking to the foot and stopped laughing at the graphics. They enjoyed it because they were learning together and were of a similar skill level as they progressed. They were then genuinely impressed by our skills having wrestled with trying to control the ball themselves. To see a flighted diagonal ball dispatched with a volley into the net with the perfect amount of after touch to leave the Goalie clutching at thin air was a thing of beauty !!

The Amiga still works perfectly although the Kempston Pro joysticks have seen better days.

Now the patch is out I will pick this up and give it a go - Cheers.

Last edited:

hotspur77

£4.99 on the Playstation Store at the moment for anyone thinking of taking the plunge. It's not for everyone but I love it.

Last edited:

goonergaz

Distinguished Member
yep, time to buy for those on the fence @ £5 (the cost of a McDs!)

I need to dust this off, been hooked on NMS but now the cards are in I won't be kicked off the park by any dirty spurs fans!! :p

addyb

Distinguished Member
I kind of miss this. Wouldn't mind a pc release now that's the only way I'll get to play it.

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
To be honest I'm not even sure I'd be happy with it for £5 right now. Maybe once more features are added and it's in more of a finished state rather than very early access, it could be worth it.

To be honest I'm not even sure I'd be happy with it for £5 right now. Maybe once more features are added and it's in more of a finished state rather than very early access, it could be worth it.

And you're buying any old sh*t at the moment, which speaks volumes! :D :D :D

goonergaz

Distinguished Member
Well I think what we have now is a proper game, it feels very much more finished (if a little light on content).

I just wish online wasn't dead :(

DameC

Anyone any new opinions on this? Tempted to buy it while it's on sale but didn't get good reviews initially. Has it been patched recently and is it now a complete game with all the missing features added? Just wish PSN had a refund feature like on xbox so I could give it a try regardless.

GreasyTopLip

I tried it on disc (Boomerang rentals) at launch and it was pretty horrible.
Sent back the next day.

Can't comment on the updates but they'd have to do sweeping changes to make it good imo

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony adds LinkBuds S to its earphone series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
T+A announces Solitaire T headphones