Dink in my speaker cone

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by RegaRob, Mar 1, 2013.

1. RegaRob

RegaRob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I just got hold of a pair of TDL Nucleus 3's very cheaply and on receiving them found that they had been damaged in transit. There is now a bit of a dent to the back of one of the cases and the woofer has a dent in the centre where something has pushed it in a little.

I cant hear any noticeable damage just wondering if anyone had any nifty tricks for pulling the dent out?

Also wondering if it is likely to cause any audible problems.

Great little floor standers not sure what to pair them up with yet. Need an amp and cd player to go with.

Been thinking about Cambridge audio azur 540A or something similar and maybe the D500se cd player.

All opinions and advise are gratefully received :)

Thanks

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,195
    For those who would like to know what this speaker looks like, go to the link below and scroll down to Post #15 -

TDL Nucleus 3 - Hangsugárzók - AVX Fórumok

Can you confirm that these are indeed your speakers?

Generally dented dome can be pulled out with Tape. The question is what kind of tape and how will the dome react?

Start with Masking Tape, GENTLY press it to the dent, and carefully try to pull the dent out.

Where you go from there gets difficult. If the Domes look like delicate paper, then obviously you can use tape that will tear or pull apart the paper. If it is some kind of coated paper, then perhaps you can go to stronger tape - Cellotape, the packing tape, perhaps adhesive (bandage) tape. BUT you must use reasonable judgement as to how the center Dome is going to react to the tape.

If the dome is plastic coated, even if ti is paper under the plastic, used carefully, pretty much any tape will work.

However, other materials that might peel apart need to you tape like Masking Tape.

There are as many method of pulling dents as there are people to think of them.

Some people have had good luck simply pressing their mouth to the dent and Sucking it out. That's right, sucking the dent out.

Others have said a tiny drop of hot melt glue on the head of a pin or small nail, pressed to the center of the dent. Carefully pull the dent out, then EVEN MORE CAREFULLY, cut the glue with an Xacto knife to release the nail/pin.

Some have used vacuum cleaners, though that strikes me as very dangerous and uncontrolled.

Generally, these dents do not really cause any problems, so don't get too carried away. It is primarily of cosmetic value.

As near as I can tell, given the material shown in the photos, you are likely to be able to pull the dents with masking tape, which is reasonably safe on most surfaces, but you need to be careful, and apply a large dose of common sense.

As to an amp, that depends on your budget, and whether you are looking for new or used. There are a few reasonably good amps NEW, for under £200, or just a bit over. If you like I could list and link to a few. The Yamaha AS300 and the AS500 are nicely priced, but dealers seem to be closing out inventory on them. We suspect new models will be release soon.

The Denon PMA-520 is reasonably priced, and there are pretty decent discounts on the Denon PMA-720 amp. The PMA-720 is only just a bit more power, but it was originally a £360 amp, so we expect a boost in general quality.

The Cambridge 540A should be fine amp, and of course, given that they are old, it would be a used amp.

There are a few other New amps to consider around £200, but I'll wait for you budget before I offer more details.

Steve/bluewizard

3. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,720
    For a small dent, try a drinking straw or short length of plastic tubing slightly larger diameter than the dent. Simply place over the damage and suck gently.

TBH, it is only cosmetic as you will not hear the difference.

4. RegaRob

RegaRob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for the tips I will set to it when I get home later :)

My budget for an amp and a CD player is £300.
    I am only really looking 2nd hand to get more for the limited money.

This is a system I a putting together for someone else, so it's hard to say exactly what is required sound wise. It is mostly likely to be for classical music and easy listening.

I own an arcam 7r amp, arcam 8 cd and an upgraded rega planar p2 turntable

Thanks again for all the different tips ill let you know how I get on.