Dining room project

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Attached some photos of the under construction room.

Basically, I am REALLY into interior design. I love it. However one thing which has always held back the interior design of most room I've been in and I've occupied is the sinister device known as a TV. A TV is where all the furniture is aimed at, a TV is generally pretty ugly when off, it forces the use of horrid stands or it sticks out massively from the wall or involves a false chimney breast.

Since using projection, its been liberating to know when an electronic screen, my room can be restored to its normal state with no intrusive viewing black box. Anyway... Projection has its obvious cons so I'm digressing massively now.

I have bought a new house. It had a dining room with a little sun room attached. Awful idea for a brick construction from the former owners. anyway it'll be extended eventually 6M out but thats going off topic. I knocked out the wall connecting the 'sun room' to the dining room which gives me an extra 2M throw distance.

The reason I did this is a 'demo' for what will become the proper HT room when construction is done. I also want to experiement with different screen sizes because I will have to eventually decide whether to go with an ALR screen and a smaller screen with speakers infront or an AT screen but a bigger screen.

These are photo of the current room!
Completely not ideal for HT.. and its not really meant to be a true HT room. The vibe of this room is a 'hidden' projector experience. I'll update as stuff happens.. for now I've got to:

1. Level the floor between the two rooms
2. Get blinds for the windows & doors
3. Paint the PJ wall with PJ paint
4. Paint the walls a decent colour which will reflect less light AND look okay as a dining room
5. Find a way to mount the PJ or position the PJ when its needed to NOT hit the furniture in its way and not hit the dining table

So this is a room with... crap light control, open to the kitchen AND has awful architecture for positioning... but as I'm doing construction on the house, I am in YOLO mode and at last can let out my inner child of doing whatever stupid idea I want.

Attachments

• IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1374.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1384 (1).jpg
    IMG_1384 (1).jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 175

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
So, I've spoken to Mr MissisippiMan, the ultimate god of DIY paint and home theatre.

He has advised:

PJ wall paint wise either Black Flame or a Modest Grey from Dulux. Black Flame being far superior. Modest Grey being a .. 'modest' option.
In Neutral Grays two good colors would be Gallant Grey for the Ceiling, and Natural Slate for the Walls under the Dulux 'mixing flatt matte' category.

I want to go for Black Flame because the sooner I play with this paint, the sooner I will know if I will use this paint long term next year in the dedicated HT room. It would potentially save me £2000-4000 in having to buy an electronic screen too. However, for the sake of wiring, I do think I'll end up asking Ricky if he can make me a custom screen.

So these paints should maximise perceived contrast of the PJ without treating the entire room in black (trust me, I want to do this.. now is just not the time as the house is not extended yet so I can't afford to 'close space' yet) unless I was to convert my double garage.. which I can't do because that is where workers will come through the house for the extension.

We have NEARLY levelled the floor at the back. Should be done by the end of today. Blinds wise, I have asked a friend of family to come over and price it up. Hopefully he can do me a good deal on some roll down blinds which will be pretty sleek and hidden.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
FYI, if this was a 'final room' with a more dedicated HT spin which wasn't pending construction, I would have:

1. Further knocked out the wall to provide more space and make the two rooms more open with some supporting structure
2. Moved the radiator and got a vertical one stuffed somewhere or did underfloor heating
3. Installed hidden electronic (or manual) curtain track which would have black MVEL/velour curtains which would then go around the entire room
4. Put a door entry from the kitchen into the room

etc. etc.

sebna

Looks like the beginning of very interesting story about to unfold and I have a feeling with at least few twists along the way :). Congrats on the house purchase.

How long do you think before you move in?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Looks like the beginning of very interesting story about to unfold and I have a feeling with at least few twists along the way :). Congrats on the house purchase.

Thanks seb! I’m living between homes at the moment.

pending planning permission and getting some money together before I can move forward with stage 2 of the plan so trying to get a few things in order to quell my HT thirst in the interim period.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
black out blinds priced up. Only 200 quid or so. Dining table will move to the back of the room most likely if it will fit so I have lounge seating at the front.

Debating whether to change the radiator to a smaller one which will allow for bigger 16:9 screen.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

painting is halfway done..

No light control obviously
Moana.. going from 16:9 to 170'' ultrawide aspect ratio via lens shift. MADVR tone mapping. I think that was in 'natural mode'.. not bright cinema which would have been better. MADVR tone mapping wise I haven't played with the values yet. I can obviously make the picture a little more brighter perception wise than what is shown there.. but whats the point calibrating MADVR for worst case scenario.

I've found from 5PM onwards (once the sun seems to get over that back window), the picture is pretty astounding and dramatically improves every 15 minutes and really does look similar to my ALR screen in some respects (albiet ALR in a different room, not fighting such severe light AND not projecting as much of a big image).

Before the paint on the screen walls and ceiling, I would have not been able to see anything on the camera so its pretty insane. Also the colour has been surprisingly awesome. It reacts differently to where the light catches it so you get some nice contrast wall to wall whilst still being pretty seemless. Everyones loved it so far (surprisingly).

Its also not THAT gare-ish.. despite it being neutral greys, it comes across like I've taken a fashion risk rather than a full out nerdy blacked out room. It does make me think whether when I do the extension I should do the dark living room or not now... The 'lighter' colours of the grey make the space still feel open and entertaining, I fear the dark will now be too depressing. arghhh.

Next plans:
1. Replace radiator with a smaller one for a bigger 16:9 image
2. Blinds Black or Dark Grey for ceiling, back window, side window, PVC door.
3. MVEL22 curtain for the left side of the room for opening to the kitchen
4. (OPTIONAL/subject to interior design) an MVEL 22 curtain on the RIGHT side of the room... this is unlikely due to logistical reasons
5. Put in the home cinema gear
6. GS2 + AAA
7. I might try and buy an ALR screen from Ricky for daytime viewing if it'll help at a smaller 110-130' and use the wall for night time. Not sure if an ALR screen can help me in my room though because a lot of the light is coming from infront aka where the PJ is.. which is not ideal for ALR.
8. HDR content needs more pop via DTM.. I need to fiddle with my numbers but i cant be bothered at the moment when conditions aren't ideal
9. Need to paint the coving
10. Might invest in a rug... not a pure black one but a stylish blackish pattern one
11. Cable in all the crap in the room and maybe try to install ceiling atmos speakers.

Last edited:

sebna

That looks surprisingly watchable for daytime and 170" :O

I don't think x7900 would by as good in those, however unlikely conditions.

Make another one for us after dark. Will be interesting to see it in full glory.

What is GS2 + AAA?

You are making good progress and you have what seems like a very nice garden space.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

Make another one for us after dark. Will be interesting to see it in full glory.

What is GS2 + AAA?

You are making good progress and you have what seems like a very nice garden space.

thanks sebna. I love the garden 🪴needs loaaaaads of work tho!

gs2 is grey steel 2 . Dulux colour. Aaa is a special aluminium flakes which ppl recommend adding to bring back vibrancy to the whites.

I am going to the house as an antique dealer is selling me a mirror so I will take some photos of it in the dark. I think the black bar level is not good enough in the dark but I think that’s down the Epson.. which is why your jvc is like be amazing in that situation 😉😉

it should improve I hope with the room treatments I’m planning but I can’t find a cheap way of doing mvel22 curtains
after 5pm honestly with the lights on, it is very very watchable along as it’s not the dark knight during the dark scenes 😂😂

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

What is GS2 + AAA?

Mulan. I think my iPhone is filming in hdr so will switch to sdr next time

sebna

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I just realized I have never seen Mulan :) - ordered.
watched it yet?

Installed blinds. Still waiting for the ceiling blind.

As I'm knocking down this room eventually, decided to go for cheap manual blinds rather than electric/solar. Will get solar for the ceiling.

Dad said he would have gone electric but if I have that mindset, I'll end up spending £10k extra which should be going towards the build and construction.

Got the Arendals in the house. I had to downsize the image for 2:35:1 from 170 inches to 165 inches to fit the towers in the room. AMAZING sounding. My BK monolith plus I am going to try and put behind my seating for now until I build....

THE HOVERBOSS!! finally this month I shuld get around to building it. massively excited.

Furniture wise I went for simple italian leather sofa 3-4 seater and an oxblood armchair for a bit of suave/traditional sass... again all just temporary.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Got dining table been waiting months for and arendals. Obviously gotta position stuff properly. Replaced denon with arcam cos it broke. Definitely need external amplification for ppl sitting at the dining table

To do list:

1. MVEL22 curtain
2. New SSD for PC
3. Diniing chairs
4. Blind for ceiling (should arrive 2 weeks)
5. wire up dolby atmos speakers
6. buy amplifier
7. 2-3 more coats paint in dining area
8. fireplace
9. skirting board

then i think i will leave it for now.

dining table cost more than the entire home cinema so budget is nearly dead for this now until extension lol :D:D:D:D

Attachments

• A3020D65-3470-40F0-A43B-1DF4EEBEDE05.jpeg
    A3020D65-3470-40F0-A43B-1DF4EEBEDE05.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 90
  • C4C349C4-2315-4627-A9F1-A9990D9257B8.jpeg
    C4C349C4-2315-4627-A9F1-A9990D9257B8.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 89
  • ED4C3E8C-E211-44C4-8927-FDB6A37ACDBD.jpeg
    ED4C3E8C-E211-44C4-8927-FDB6A37ACDBD.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 1459521B-D91D-4004-A92A-A3CB3CE65042.jpeg
    1459521B-D91D-4004-A92A-A3CB3CE65042.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 84E0B313-A095-4932-A9B7-8281D18705A3.jpeg
    84E0B313-A095-4932-A9B7-8281D18705A3.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 65D709E3-A747-48FE-BFBA-236B1C2F6A79.jpeg
    65D709E3-A747-48FE-BFBA-236B1C2F6A79.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 87
  • FC12BFA1-BD69-4D1E-B2F2-6382B0A48214.jpeg
    FC12BFA1-BD69-4D1E-B2F2-6382B0A48214.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 5E164EF5-B7A2-4E2B-AD2B-C592E78819D8.jpeg
    5E164EF5-B7A2-4E2B-AD2B-C592E78819D8.jpeg
    333.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 8570759A-8350-444D-B86D-9C4729DA9373.jpeg
    8570759A-8350-444D-B86D-9C4729DA9373.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
This is setup for the ALR screen. Got tigers eye coffee table in 🥰🥰😆🥰
Google them.. quite rare :)

This room i am doing 2x floor to ceiling bookcases cos ceiling quite high. oak wood panelling same as bookshelf over the PJ screen (will raiuse it myself to the ceilings. paid someone to hang it, they said this is best they can do)

I will run a 2.0 setup here. middle underneath PJ screen will be a traditional fireplace. I will also buy a third probably green chesterfield chair for symmetry.

This is more a diguised 'oh wow didnt know there was a projector room'/

using 110'' ALR draper react screen so I dont need to darken room.

Attachments

• F662F1DE-A66C-4A0C-BDAC-FBDD27835703.jpeg
    F662F1DE-A66C-4A0C-BDAC-FBDD27835703.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Subs installed now for this space.
Got my valve index plugging in at last.
Installed a makeshift curtain pole for now with green IKEA curtains.

mvel22 curtains are under construction.
Planning to make the opposing wall opposite the curtain a black feature wall.

planning to drape across the back a 4-5m piece of mvel22 to provide temporary masking.

got to install some arendal 1961 to ceiling

need to buy some amplification for speakers

ordered an oak base for the hoverboss which will make in the next month or two. Dad said easier to get a friend who is a carpenter Tom make it from solid oak.

need to install some windowsills made out of granite at the back of the room, adjust the drop of the blinds and deal with the light leakage from blinds (only affects viewing 7 to 11am during summer which is when sun is there)

need to find a black rug.

need to find a home cinema chair to replace the Chesterfield which I will move to the lounge.
8161FF78-61EE-4F0E-9890-C90707A671A9.jpeg

sebna

Looking sweet. I was looking at the photo and the wall and was wondering where is the screen only to remember that the wall is the screen :). It is huge and the gear gives nice scale perspective.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Looking sweet. I was looking at the photo and the wall and was wondering where is the screen only to remember that the wall is the screen :). It is huge and the gear gives nice scale perspective.

Thank you Sebna. Very slowly but surely getting somewhere close to what I thought it'd look like.

I am struggling with a good masking solution at the moment. Horizontal masking, curtains. Masking at the bottom, I'm not sure.

I use 3 aspect ratios:

1. 150'' Normal 16:9
2. 165''2:35:1
3. 160'' IMAX 16:9.

(approximate numbers).

Using both the IMAX and the normal would cause me to be able to find a more mobile masking solution and I can't thin of one :(

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I am struggling with a good masking solution at the moment. Horizontal masking, curtains. Masking at the bottom, I'm not sure.
Yeah I'm planning on some sort of curtains for the sides, and something like a Roman blind for the top. So they'll all be adjustable, but for the bottom I'll make a one size panel that sits on the screen frame. I'm not yet sure where I'll store it. More thinking to do.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Yeah I'm planning on some sort of curtains for the sides, and something like a Roman blind for the top. So they'll all be adjustable, but for the bottom I'll make a one size panel that sits on the screen frame. I'm not yet sure where I'll store it. More thinking to do.
How are you doing the blind mate?? I can’t find anyone who can make a 4+ metre blind

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
How are you doing the blind mate?? I can’t find anyone who can make a 4+ metre blind
For me it's just a black masking blind in a dedicated room, and I'll be making it myself.

The bottom will have a long pole of some sort (for a straight edge) wrapped in the fabric, and I anticipate having a simple cord through eyelets to pull up both sides (not pulling up the bottom directly, but part way). I think the cord will have a loop at the bottom, and I'll have fixed positions to hook onto, to match the various ratios I program.

That's the current plan at least. It would be different if you were after something pretty for a non dedicated room. I hope mine will look neat, but given it'll be black in a black room, it doesn't have to look living room nice.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
For me it's just a black masking blind in a dedicated room, and I'll be making it myself.

The bottom will have a long pole of some sort (for a straight edge) wrapped in the fabric, and I anticipate having a simple cord through eyelets to pull up both sides (not pulling up the bottom directly, but part way). I think the cord will have a loop at the bottom, and I'll have fixed positions to hook onto, to match the various ratios I program.

That's the current plan at least. It would be different if you were after something pretty for a non dedicated room. I hope mine will look neat, but given it'll be black in a black room, it doesn't have to look living room nice.
Thanks mate. Manual or electric? Could you do a build thread as I have to do something similar. No idea where to buy the pole from 😂😂

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Thanks mate. Manual or electric? Could you do a build thread as I have to do something similar. No idea where to buy the pole from 😂😂
Oh definitely manual. I know some people have built some really amazing 4 way electric masking systems, and someone here even had it automated to their projector. That's just too much work for me, and beyond what I need.

I think most of the time we'll have the screen set to the large Scope setting, because that's most of my content.
When I do use 16:9 I'll either just close the side curtains, or if I find that's a bit smaller than I'd like, I'll close the curtains a bit less, and also raise the top.
I also plan to have a smaller setting for Scope, when the filming in an action movie has too much motion for it to be comfortable at full size. That will probably only require the sides and top to close a little. I'm not sure whether it will require a mask at the bottom - I'll be testing all the zoom options before I make any masking.

Finally I'll have a setting for IMAX, where the width stays the same as my standard large Scope setting, and I raise the top mask.

For the pole to go at the bottom of the Roman blind, I'll just use a strip of metal, plastic tube or even 15mm copper pipe. It won't need to be able to hold straight over the width of the screen, because the fabric won't let it sag.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Oh definitely manual. I know some people have built some really amazing 4 way electric masking systems, and someone here even had it automated to their projector. That's just too much work for me, and beyond what I need.

I think most of the time we'll have the screen set to the large Scope setting, because that's most of my content.
When I do use 16:9 I'll either just close the side curtains, or if I find that's a bit smaller than I'd like, I'll close the curtains a bit less, and also raise the top.
I also plan to have a smaller setting for Scope, when the filming in an action movie has too much motion for it to be comfortable at full size. That will probably only require the sides and top to close a little. I'm not sure whether it will require a mask at the bottom - I'll be testing all the zoom options before I make any masking.

Finally I'll have a setting for IMAX, where the width stays the same as my standard large Scope setting, and I raise the top mask.

For the pole to go at the bottom of the Roman blind, I'll just use a strip of metal, plastic tube or even 15mm copper pipe. It won't need to be able to hold straight over the width of the screen, because the fabric won't let it sag.
Sides I was also thinking a blind. For the bottom I was just going to stock a piece of MVEL22 velvet across the length of the room.

the top part is difficult for me though. I am trying to find an affordable electric blind 4M and can't.. especially electric which is ideally what I'd like.

I feel like it can't be difficult to make. Surely just a motor and a pole and some velvet.. but what do i know lol...

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Sides I was also thinking a blind.
I can't picture that? A curtain with a straight metal edge seems an easy and nice solution.

the top part is difficult for me though. I am trying to find an affordable electric blind 4M and can't.. especially electric which is ideally what I'd like.

I feel like it can't be difficult to make. Surely just a motor and a pole and some velvet.. but what do i know lol...
I bought reasonably large electric blinds for my kitchen from Custom Made Blinds | Electric Blinds | Fly Screens (made to measure)
I imagine you could get a wide, but short drop from them, and then just add MVEL onto whatever they provide.
The motors allow programmed drop settings.

But I don't want to increase the spend on my project, so I'd like to go manual. Particularly bearing in mind I plan to leave the masking in one place for most of the time.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I can't picture that? A curtain with a straight metal edge seems an easy and nice solution.

I bought reasonably large electric blinds for my kitchen from Custom Made Blinds | Electric Blinds | Fly Screens (made to measure)
I imagine you could get a wide, but short drop from them, and then just add MVEL onto whatever they provide.
The motors allow programmed drop settings.

But I don't want to increase the spend on my project, so I'd like to go manual. Particularly bearing in mind I plan to leave the masking in one place for most of the time.

Makes sense. I'm wary not to spend too much too as this is all temporary and will be ripped out in a year or two... but its hard when you catch the upgrade bug lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 16th June 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Deezer introduces 360 Sessions to showcase spatial audio
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
E3 2021: Ten of the Best
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber expands Lumina speaker range