Dimplex Storage Heater Problem - Help Wanted Please

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

I freely admit that my problem is probably going to sound either very complex or very easy, but it's got me stumped, and I don't know what else I can do.

I have a Dimplex Storage Heater in the living room of my flat, that runs on Economy 7 overnight cheap(er) electric rates. I don't know what the exact model number of the heater is, and can't seem to locate one on it. :( Thus, looking for an Operating Manual or Instruction Guide on the Dimplex official website has proved useless so far.

The heater has two wires coming out of it, and going into 2 separate sockets on the wall, and both have on/off switches, but the electric cables go straight into the walls (presumably for safety reasons). Now, since the weather's got colder over the past few days, I've had to put the heater on, but the problem is, I ain't getting anything out of it! :mad:

I can put the Boost on, and that gives me manual heating, but if I leave one, or other of the wall socket switches on, the heater doesn't appear to charge overnight, and is stone cold to the touch in the morning. :(

All the other buttons are set to output heat, so that doesn't appear to be the issue. Hence, I can only assume it's me that's not doing something right. :(

The heater clearly works, but there's no way to tell which switch should be on, as neither is labelled or marked, and/or whether either or both of them need to be on for the heater to store heat overnight. So, having tried all combinations, e.g.
- leaving switch 1 on, and 2 off
- leaving switch 1 off, and 2 on
- leaving both switches off (totally :suicide: I know)

... and getting nada, what am I doing wrong? Should both switches be left on, in order for the heater to work, or :confused: I thought I'd tried this the other night, but again, nada. Do they need to both be on, before a certain time of night, e.g. 10pm and left on all day and night, or can the switches be switched off.

:eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

Any help would be much appreciated. :) Thanks. Details on how to locate a model number would also be appreciated too. I've posted some photos online, if that helps anyone. See...

The Heater

External Controls

Hidden Controls

The Double Plugs

Pooch

IronGiant

I can't help on the heater, but have you checked the fuse in the right hand of the two wall plates?

Dave

bouncer

You know your ment to leave everything closed for 24 hours to store the heat before you let it out right?

lynx

Senior Moderator
It sounds though it's two heaters in one - a convector, fed from the switched fused spur, which can be turned off or on when needed, and a storage radiator which will be switched from the double pole wall mounted switch adjacent to the radiator.

If you turn the radiator control to max, does it store any heat at all during the night?

alnwrd

You have a combined storage heater and convector heater. This allows heat anytime just like plugging in an electric fire. One socket switched on should provide instant heat whilst the other socket will presumably be on a timer for economy seven. I wonder if the timer is incorporated in the heater or is separate somewhere. Each electricity supply will be separately fused at your fuse box. Can you identify these circuits and check the fuses? Do you have a modern switched fuse box with rocker switches? are these on?

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Problem solved. :) Thanks folks. I just switched both switches on, left it overnight, and now it's heating my lounge lovely. Cheers for the help! :thumbsup:

Pooch

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Problem solved. :) Thanks folks. I just switched both switches on, left it overnight, and now it's heating my lounge lovely. Cheers for the help! :thumbsup:

Pooch

Just wait till you get the bill:eek::D;)

Bat-man

IronGiant

So long as Pooch is using the "stored" heat :)

jamiesdad

Hi,

Pooch

Pooch thedome is Quite right leaving the convector part of your heater on all night will be expensive :eek:

The convector part should only be used to boost the room temperature

Cheers:thumbsup:

Monopot

Hi,

Don't worry, I'm only using the convector on rare occasions. :)

Pooch
Your lucky mate. My first house had the same heaters as you by the sounds of it. Ended up having a similar problem but it turned out the storage heating part of it died so only the convector would work. We ended up initially getting a small electric heater as the convector was too expensive to run.

A few months after that one broke the one upstairs went as well so we scrapped the lot and forked out for Central Heating. Best thing we ever did, paid for itself inside a year as our electric bills went down about 60%!!

Glad its working fine now though.

C

cudgules

Have exactly the same problem.When i turn both switches on at the wall it make a noise like it working but thats all the time.Does that mean its using electric all the time? Just moved in so dont know how these heaters work and scared in case im wasting electric.The booster works though.

sue_s36

Standard Member
Found this old post as I was looking for online help with a similar problem. I too have Dimplex storage heaters in my flat and they take a very long time to heat up. I've left the ones in my living room on since 8 AM this morning and they're still stone cold (it's 9.30 PM now!). I don't know what the model of my heater is and there aren't any manuals that I could look at. My landlord hasn't been of any help either. His suggestion was to "leave it on for a week or so and it should then heat up".

What am I doing wrong here? My heaters have only one wire leading out of them to a switch and I expect to get heat by turning those switches on. Earlier this week, I had to leave it on all night and it didn't start heating up until 4 AM or so. Does anyone know what might be going on here? Also, there doesn't seem to be a booster of any kind for instant heat either, so I'm left shivering most of the time.

Apologies if I sound like an idiot but are such storage heaters controlled by the timer I set on my immersion water heater?

Peridot

I've left the ones in my living room on since 8 AM this morning and they're still stone cold (it's 9.30 PM now!).

They won't heat up during the day. You need to leave them on all the time. They heat up during the night (on cheaper electricty) and release the heat over the course of the following day. There's normally an input control that sets how hot they get when they're storing heat, and an output control that determines how quickly the heat is released during the day. Turn down the output control at night to avoid loosing too much heat and turn it up during the day as the stored heat is gradually lost.

The switching is normally controlled automatically by equipment at your fuseboard - no connection with your immersion heater timer :)

D

Deleted member 174041

Dont the blocks inside the heaters stop holding heat after a certain period of time?

Peridot

Dont the blocks inside the heaters stop holding heat after a certain period of time?

They're basically just bricks so their performance doesn't really change over time. Breakdown of the insulation around them, or wear on the mechanical dampers inside the heater, may cause heat to be lost during the overnight charge period rendering them less effective during the day.

sue_s36

Standard Member
They won't heat up during the day. You need to leave them on all the time. They heat up during the night (on cheaper electricty) and release the heat over the course of the following day. There's normally an input control that sets how hot they get when they're storing heat, and an output control that determines how quickly the heat is released during the day. Turn down the output control at night to avoid loosing too much heat and turn it up during the day as the stored heat is gradually lost.
:)

Er, so how do I get the damn thing to work if I go on holiday for a couple of weeks and then need heat in the flat when I get back? Surely I can't be expected to wait until later in the night for heat. Isn't there any kind of overriding mechanism to get them to provide instant heat?

D

Deleted member 174041

Er, so how do I get the damn thing to work if I go on holiday for a couple of weeks and then need heat in the flat when I get back? Surely I can't be expected to wait until later in the night for heat. Isn't there any kind of overriding mechanism to get them to provide instant heat?

I suggest that if you turn dial's to the lowest heat 'output' then little heat will be lost during the night and saved for the day.

K

karen1

Can anyone tell me, do dimplex night storage heaters normally turn the wall above it black? It is not turned up full either!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom