1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dimple Speaker Dome advice....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by harrisuk, May 11, 2004.

1. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Ok just got a new speaker system. Unpacking them I noticed there is a tiny dimple on one of the tweater domes. I mean its small milimeter diameter or less.

You cant really see it even with the covers removed and as one of the fronts 6ft or more away no chance. I know its highly unlikley to effect the sound, but I will always know its there !

Spoke to the supplier they were great and said they would come and collect them, and once verified send me another set.

They are not mega expensive £370 odd quid plus stands, just wondering what peoples thoughts are, its still hastle having them collected and no gurantee I wont get another set with some other minor or more serious imperfection (Its one of the Satellites they wont just replace the one effected unit)

I know I am being picky but they are great looking speakers just a bit of a shame.

What are the experts thoughts on this ?

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Come on chaps some one in the know must have an opinion on this, even if its stop being daft harris !

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If it affects the sound it must be replaced. If it is only cosmetic you still have the problem of what happens if you sell them to someone as picky as yourself so you might as well still get them replaced.

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Good Point Ian about the resale. Hastle it is then.

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I have heard that dimples in dome tweeters can be popped back out with careful use of a vacuum cleaner. I have never needed to try this so cannot offer any more information.

I would presume that the end of the hose should be brought near the dome, but how much suction and whether the dome should be restrained (with your third hand?) I have no idea.

I merely offer the idea without guarantee of success or failure and take no responsibilty for this information.

I would imagine the cack-handed could suck the dome right out of the baffle with no effort at all. Just thinking about it makes my eyes water. :eek:

Nimby

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well the retailer has offered to replace everything and the manufacturer has offered to just replace the item in question.

With this in mind I have actually decided to do nothing for the time being. If it bothers me too much in the next 12 months I will just send it back to the manufacturer to be replaced.