1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dimmer Switch, that doesn't buzz?

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by image165, Jul 11, 2005.

1. image165

image165

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello. Does anyone know where I can buy a dimmer switch in the UK, that doesn't buzz? I want a very normal looking wall-mounted light switch, in white, with two silver dimmers on it. BUT I don't want it to buzz/hum when I have the lights dimmed. I want it to be as silent as possible. Does anyone know of such a product?

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    Lutron Telume.
    Also has the advantage of actually saving electricity rather than simply wasting it. The telume can also be controlled by remote control.

I've got one, and can confirm it is silent.

3. image165

image165

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey, thanks for telling me about those Lutron switches. The Telume looks nice, but what's the difference between it and the Rania? And how much does the Telume cost?

Will both these switches control 2 light circuits? I currently have a light switchl, with 2 switches on it. One switch turns the ceiling light on and off, and the other switch turns the wall lights on and off.

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    The Telume is for a single zone (circuit) only. They aren't cheap in comparison to your bog standard dimmer from B&Q.... I think mine was about £80.

If you need more than 1 zone, there are other models in the range that can control about 4 or 6 zones ('graffic eye' I think is a popular one), but these are very expensive.

You could probably use 2 telumes, but the disadvantage being that the remote control would operate them both simultaneously!

I should also add that although remote controllable, the actual remote control costs extra. However I operate mine from my universal controller with the necessary codes downloaded from remotecentral.com

5. image165

image165

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So two Telumes, to control 2 different light circuits, would cost £160! Frankly I think that's just a little too much to spend on a dimmer switch! At that price, the switch ends up costing more than all the light fixtures in the room combined!

6. electricery

electricery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. image165

image165

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  8. electricery

electricery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One quick touch and they go off or on leave your digit on the switch and they dim or brighten you can use there remote to program lights or I use my home cinema remote to operate the lights, I am using mains halogen down lighters and up lighters, you will have to check there spec if you want to use low voltage lighting.

9. image165

image165

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought one of those TLC dimmer switches. It's nice, but it does make a very faint buzz if you put your ear up to it. So, it's not 100% silent. Doesn't matter though, because the buzz is almost inaudible.

10. compolitus

compolitus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi There

Use a dimmer that has a wired remote control panel and IR sensor and stick the dimmer itself in a ventilted cupboard. The remote panel will be silent the only noise to deal with then is the slight buzz you may get from the transformers.

11. anov24

anov24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here, I bought the satin finish 4-way for 2 banks of 3 mains 50W halogen downlighters and 2 wall 150W lights and control them via my harmony, works great :thumbsup: and I can't hear any slight buzzing at all.
    However, the plate is continually warm (not 'hot') whether the lights are being used or not. :confused:

12. ta1

ta1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. pronto

pronto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah image165.... i've just installed 6x50w downlighters(low voltage)in my new home cinema room they are matt black and so new that the company haven't got this colour on their web site yet,heres a link. http://www.aurora-lighting.com/ go to their product navigator the code is AU-DLL311.,also i've used a 400w remote/touch dimmer here another link http://www.varilight.co.uk/index products.htm and i can control the lights right down to almost extinguished and no buzzing whatsoever :D

14. compolitus

compolitus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there

Agree with pronto. I have a varilight dimmer in a bedroom driving 200w of GU10's and it is virtually silent at all levels. The learning remote sensor is also a boon, as well as the price.

15. Stingingwasp

Stingingwasp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also have the Varilight, a single dimmer in the bedroom controling a standard 100W light bulb, operated via the Sky remote. And a double dimmer in the living room controling 300W of GU4 operaterated via Harmany remote.

The buzzing is so slight that you have to press your ear right up against the dimmer to hear it, so not a problem at all.

Great system.

16. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    There are a number of these on ebay too, just bought one for £10 inc using a bit of spare paypal funds, quiet as a mouse on a 100W lamp and it learned a spare button on my remote quickly and easily - the best thing about these is that you don't even need a learning remote to use one, just a button that does nothing otherwise (can be found on most TV remotes and easily on a Sky+ remote!) as the switch learns not the remote!!