• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Dimmable switch for GU10 LED's

bl0ckev

Prominent Member
All,

I have 3 spotlights in my house which are controlled by 1 gang dimmable switch.
I have since replaced the halogen bulbs with some 3.5W GU10 LED bulbs

With all 3 LED's in the dimmable switch seems to be suffering and flickering a little.

Does any one know if buying a new dimmable switch would fix this? Online they seem to say
  • Minimum load 10 Watts
Does this mean 10W per LED bulb or 10W in total - therefore this should work for a 3 x 3.5W setup?

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
I think that's probably 10 watts load for everything - so 10.5 watts is just over that but may be borderline.

Are the LEDs dimmable? Not all are, so maybe it's the LEDs and not the switch that's the problem?

Gary

bl0ckev

Prominent Member
Thanks for the reply Gary.

Yes the LED's are dimmable - should I be looking to buy higher power LED's ?!
I went with 3.5W because I did not want the light to be too bright.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
It's shame if you have to go brighter when you don't rally want it brighter just to get the switch to work correctly.

I guess that if you swapped one LED for a halogen to bring the wattage up, then none of them will flicker? I'm only suggesting that as a test just to see if the (remianing two) LEDs then work with no flicker.

Gaary

bl0ckev

Prominent Member
Correct, at the moment 1 is halogen and 2 are LED as it stopped the flickering - unfortunately different colours as the warm white LEDs are not too warm white looking

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
That seems kinda conclusive then. It does look like you will have to get a new dimmer switch with a lower load threshold as you suspected.

Gary

ufo550

Distinguished Member
Bit late now, but just for the record;

LED lamps & Incandescent or Mains Halogen lamps require different dimmer switches.
Incandescent or Mains Halogen lamps require Leading edge dimmers. LED lamps require Trailing edge dimmers. You mike strike lucky, but invariably using the wrong dimmer may cause the dimmer or lamp to fail, flicker, or poor diming range. Wattage has a bearing as been mentioned, only because Leading edge were designed with higher wattage Halogen lamps etc. You do need to consider how many LED lamps you intend to dim, as most LED dimmers have a minimum load of 10w. You may need to use a resistor, as mentioned, with a small load.
You should check with the manufacturer of the lamp, as to which dimmer to use. However, as the market is awash with LED lamps of different quality, many do not have such good technical advice.

Varilight V-Pro is good quality dimmer at a reasonable price, and is suitable for most LED lamps; Trailing Edge & LED Dimmer Switches White

At the other end of the market are, for example, Zano LED; Zano Controls - The Answer to LED Dimming

Word of caution: buy good quality LED lamps, as they will last longer, and some of the cheaper imports are, in some cases, dangerous; Some LED lightbulbs on sale now in the UK are potentially LETHAL

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom