dimmable downlighters - low energy or mains???

music

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Finally putting downlighters in.

Probably going to use a varilight dimmer - and can't decide whether to go down the mains bulbs route or low energy transformer route.

I've been told that the mains bulbs blow far more often.

I've been told that low energy bulbs with transformers buzz more.

Finally, if low voltage is the answer, is it best to go for one transformer per bulb or one bigger capacity transformer for a number of bulbs.

Thanks

Any opinions welcome!:lease:

I don't want to sound pedantic but you mean low voltage rather than low energy. I would go for low voltage over mains halogen every time, just pick a decent brand of transformer such as the good quality Aurora electronic types. Low voltage gives a "nicer" crisp white light and can last longer than mains. If you can set it up then do use a slow fade on & off, and try not to run the lamps at 100% output. These changes can make you lamps last many times longer. I've been in my house for 2.5 years now and have only replaced 2 lamps to date (I have LV Aurora fittings, transformers and lamps throughout), I use Helvar Digidim lighting controls in most rooms with the slow fades and 90% maximum output limits on all dimmable circuits.

I'm thinking of using a varilight 4 gang dimmer. would you recommend aurora in any event - or is there some force in using varilght transformers to match the varilight switch?

I don't see why Varilight transformers would not be a good choice, you would expect Varilight to choose models that would work well with their dimmers.

In my case I bought the Aurora packs which had the transformer pre-wired to to the fitting and included a lamp, just made it much easier in my case as I was fitting out my house (a self-build) so the time saving was of real benefit. The Aurora packs also had a 5 year wanrranty which included the transformer so that was also useful.

hi,
Id try and avoid the sets personally, i always find them being cheap and not lasting. i would proberley fit a jcc range of downlighter, they do a good range of fire-rated fittings and supply a branded lamp too.
try not to buy budget lamps frm supermarkets, they never seems to last.
also just keep an eye on not overloading the dimmer u get :D
Go to a local electrical wholesalers, you'l get better fittings frm them than frm b&q or the other diy shops :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom