Diminishing returns...?

Rob12345678

Hi,

I currently run a modest 5.1 setup:

Onkyo TX-NR709
Monitor Audio Radius 180 HD centre & fronts
Monitor Audio Radius 90 HD rears
Monitor Audio Radius 360 sub

and I'm pretty pleased with it. It's a more budget version that this What Hi-fi 5* package: Monitor Audio Radius R90HT1 review | What Hi-Fi?

I've been seeing how cheaply some of the Q Acoustics stuff goes for - would say the below speakers sound any better than my current set up do you think...?

2050i fronts
2000ci centre
2010i rears

Again, this is similar to this much cheaper What Hi-fi 5* package... Q Acoustics 2000 Series review | What Hi-Fi?

Appreciate any thoughts!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Tough question. Radius HD reportedly has "excitable/thrilling" treble so brighter tone and QAs being more neutral sounding. I had the 2010i & 2000Ci many years ago in small flat. 2050i are going to sound lot different than small speakers like 2010i. The 2000Ci from what i remember did the job fine. I regretted going with the smaller 2010i (main speakers) as when you have owned larger speakers earlier you are going to miss certain things surely. Sadly some times compromises are needed.

Performance wise the QA system is ahead of yours. With 2050i you can fill larger room easily. Listening music should be different experience no doubt. 2050i are over 1meter tall and quite deep with dual 6,5" bass/mid drivers and the QA center channel is also larger with extra driver. They are good bit more efficient aswell, though your receiver isn´t going to run out steam that easy. If you have small room and main speakers would sit close to walls/corners, then this system might not be best idea cause 2050i as any other larger floorstander will need space. I would aim to leave ~30cm as minium for side walls and 30cm space behind speakers and front wall, +2meter apart each other (depends also how far you sit/room).

You could listen QA 3050 with 3090C at some local RicherSounds as they still have those on sale. They should be tonally similar enough to 2000i serie, so you would get some idea of QA sound and how the larger speakers perform against yours. No need to buy anything, just go listen and say you`ll think about it and get back.. I guarantee it will give you some answers!

You have a fine receiver which is nice to see. But the 360 subwoofer is either from original Radius line or HD line. This is where you could do much better as the package subs are rather poor, but it won´t be cheap upgrade (350£+). Anyway keep us updated what you decide or if you can listen the QAs, do share your findings!

Rob12345678

Thanks a lot for this.

I think if I keep my eyes peeled, I can probably do this for just about cost-neutral. The idea of a better sub definitely appeals but this will be a decent cost I think.

My setup is far from ideal (corner recess) - I've attached a (poor) photo to give an idea. It's a pretty big room though.

I'll try and visit a Richer Sounds and maybe see if I can find a bargain set of 2nd hand fronts and centre and just give them a trial before I keep it and sell the MA stuff or re-sell the QA trio.

Thanks again.

Attachments

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks a lot for this.

I think if I keep my eyes peeled, I can probably do this for just about cost-neutral. The idea of a better sub definitely appeals but this will be a decent cost I think.

My setup is far from ideal (corner recess) - I've attached a (poor) photo to give an idea. It's a pretty big room though.

I'll try and visit a Richer Sounds and maybe see if I can find a bargain set of 2nd hand fronts and centre and just give them a trial before I keep it and sell the MA stuff or re-sell the QA trio.

Thanks again.
Ah the corner placement. :( Looking at the picture you would have hard time to even fit 2050i there. It`s really shame if you can`t have the tv/speakers on some longer wall, as you said the room is big. I assume you would need to talk wife over to swap order of room. Up to you, but i would pass the floorstanding route if you need to squeeze them in such tight space. That is kinda the opposite what speaker manufacturer recommends for large speakers. It´s quite safe to assume it won´t sound that good.

If you keep what you got for now, place the 180 centre in front of tv! Put something under the tv feets to raise it up so the speaker won`t block picture. It can sound much better if you get it out from av-cabinet and have it closer height wise to your mains! Center channel covers large amount of stuff and you have one of the most important speaker now hidden shooting your knees. :nono: Let me guess, wife said it goes there... :laugh:

Rob12345678

Thanks for this.

Room is a strange layout so not much scope for change (rear is open plan, left side has a big window, right side has double doors in the middle...) unfortunately.

This is the most wife friendly solution (even thought she thinks the TV is far too big!). I was thinking of putting the right floor stander near the wall, moving the TV to the right and fitting the left speaker in the new larger gap. I have found some 2050is for £100, but if you think it will sound worse I'll give them a skip :-(.

Will have a think about the centre, but again will be tough to get it past the wife!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Try running your system without the Centre - disable it in the AVR settings, there is little need for one when the three speakers are arrayed so closely around the TV.

Slightly tricky working out your seating arrangement within the room from the pic.

The biggest 'upgrade' could be achieved by rearranging the room using the current AV kit - if you have an option to try moving the current speakers using some temp speaker cable you could get an idea of how different the system could sound.

Joe

Rob12345678

Thanks all - think I will put this on hold for a bit then. We're having some work done on the house next year so will try and enhance the layout then!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom