dimensions for media room

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by daver96, Apr 15, 2003.

1. daver96

daver96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am starting a new house in August, and I am curious about whether my media room is "too square". The exact room dimensions are 17'8 by 17, with a 9' ceiling. Dolby recommends that a listening room not be "perfectly square". Is this room mathematically "not square" enough, or do I need to push one of the walls 6" or so?
    I'll use the room principally for home theater, but occasionally for audio-only listening. And I'm not building another house unless I win the Lotto :D

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Go here to download an Excel spreadsheet for calculating room measurements for good acoustics (taken from stereophil Guide to Home theatre)

I'm using it like you to calculate my new playroom - I'm building my new house :D

marc

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    17 8 by 17 will cause you a few problems, look out for the 'magic ratios' and think about putting an equipment room in at one end to reduce one dimension by say 3 or 4 feet. You can try this all out in the excell spreadsheet.

4. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mr. Beekeeper, what are the 'magic' ratios?

marc

5. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Russ Andrews has compiled a booklet on this very subject, room acoustics. You can order one from his website (www.russandrews.com) for free, or alternatively download it from here:

http://www.russandrews.com/download/shake.pdf

This guide is quite in depth, even going into what building materials to use, quite an interesting read. BTW, according to him the golden ratios seem to to be 13 x 10 x 8 (LWH) for a small room, or 20 x 13 x 8 for a large room (see page 12 of the guide).

It was quite interesting to read this for me because it seem I have the golden room ratio :clap:

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    2:3:5 (hxwxd) seems to be the suggested ideal room ratios by most sources I've seen. This almost fits the large room suggestion above.