1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dillinger Escape plan...calculating infinity

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by karkus30, Feb 2, 2003.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    In one word this album is incredible...is it nice poptastic stuff, is it fudge. Its not even possible to describe it, its music for Terminator (revenge of the machines) or something like that. How the hell they can play at this speed, alter all the time signatures and use weird, weird jazz style progressions mixed with the heaviest rock around. I was looking for the cutting edge and this is probably where its at as an antidote/alternative for dance music.

Mad, mad, crazee stuff:clap:

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Told you so.

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    you did, you did........how much of this do you listen to in one go, think I will wait for a quiet hour one afternoon, when nobody is around to disturb me. Listen to it in bite sized chunks.

It makes Prodigies Music for the Jilted generation sound like Gospel stuff:eek:

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    All the way through, again and again.

Strange, that for the last few weeks two bands have dominated my CD player, Dillinger, and quite oddly, Coldplay.

Some combo.

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Your probably just disturbed;) but on secondthoughts its probably for balance, like sweet and sour.

Coldplay is slow and ploddy (and people complain about that on Radioheads OK Computer:eek: ) and DEP is, well, extreme, noisy and fast as chisels.

Surely, theres more than one drummer or is it pre programmed into a drum machine, Im knackered just listening to the percussion.

6. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like I'm going to have to get this album:D

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided to "sample" some Dillinger this weekend, cause I'm a huge fan of Mike Patton and Mr. Bungle. (I don't buy albums unheard anymore) I wasn't very impressed with the songs I tried.

Course, some of the Mr. Bungle stuff needs a few listens to grow on you. Anybody want to recommend a good "entry level" Dillinger song for me to start on?

8. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just listened to one of their tracks - 'Variations on a Cocktail Dress'. Blimey they are loud aren't they:eek: !

As for recommendations of songs to start with, I'd go for 'Cocaine Running Around My Brain' :D, you can hear what the bloke is saying as opposed to the Dillinger Escape Plan song.

Searched for DEP on web, found this quote:
    this band laid down perhaps the seminal recording for the now flourishing math-metal genre, blending elements of math-rock, metal, and hardcore with a tip of the hat to modern jazz

Anyone tell me what the hell 'math-metal' is :confused:

Cheers,
    Dazed (and now Deaf) and Confused

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Cant tell you what it means, but its accurate in its description, incredible stop starts, with amazing precision, so mathematical it is. I havent been this shocked since I heard 21st century Schitzoid man by KC.

10. sinister_stu

sinister_stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw Dillinger supporting System of a Down last year. Suffice to say, they were the biggest pile of **** (In fact he made one at Reading last year live on stage) I had ever heard. I decided to download a few of their songs from Kazaa just in case it was the production at the gig that let them down. It wasn't.:thumbsdow

11. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Those assholes at the SOAD concert were just little kids who wouldn't know real music if it shoved a nuke up their backsides.

Dillinger take some listening to. If it were easily accessable then it wouldn't be as brilliant as it actually is.

I'm getting a bit tired of people dismissing bands as crap simply because they don't personally like them.

12. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    listened right thu' the album tonight. I think its easier for me to appreciate it, because Ive lived thu the progressive era and stange jazz timings dont phase me. Its never going to be the first album I reach for, but its definitely got something. Its never going to be popular, but theres lots of ideas in there. If people dont like it, thats not a problem, I can understand why they dont.

One thing you cant fault is the musicianship, wish I could play with a fraction of that level of skill.

Vive la difference.

13. sinister_stu

sinister_stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If my opinion is that I don't like a band, then I'm allowed to say that they are crap if I want to. So I will. Dillinger Escape Plan are crap. Happy now?

I like plenty of inaccessible music, In fact I like music to be inaccessible as this generally means that the band have some form of musical ability (a sadly unheard of thing in lots of music today) and also that it will be interesting.

Karkus30: I play the saxophone and listen to jazz all the time. I went a jazz club last weekend. I think that jazz timings don't phase me. I agree with you on one thing though, excluding the singer/vocalist they are all brilliant musicians.

[EDIT- Can we all just calm down here. I like moderating this forum because no on causes trouble. Stu, don't provoke Pointon as he is easily roused but his input is very much appreciated round here and Pointon don't get riled by this and respond with more insults. I'm not editing either post as you're all entitled to a view but just watch the language ok? Please just lighten up guys- thanks, G]

14. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I have now listened to this album on the car CD, right the way through and I still like it, weird, but I dont really know why, the screamed lyrics should put me off.