Dilemma..

spikeyjac

Right basically I discovered my iPhone has a slight paint chip in it, and a scratch on the metal ( the reflecting type of scratch)
Orange have said I can send it back thus cancelling my upgrade, and then upgrade again when they give me the ok..
But what are the chance of me actually getting one before July 17th as I go to NY then!
What would you guy's do?
Jack

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Not a hope! Apple site is now saying 3 weeks for pre orders.....could be even longer dude :(

I could see it being the same for the rest of the company's etc

spikeyjac

just take it to your local apple store if you can and they'll exchange it there and then.
I got it from orange upgrades though..
And apple will probably just say it's from my own wear and tear..
But don't forget Lee that that's for sim free iPhones..
I just don't know what to do :thumbsdow
Do I stick with the chip ( and will it continue bugging me) or do I send it off and risk not having an iPhone :thumbsdow

spikeyjac

Can you not send it off when you get back? or if it's really bothering you get someone to send it off to orange
I only have a 7 day period.. Because it's an upgrade..
Otherwise it will have to go down as an orange insurance claim which I don't want..
The lady on upgrades said I would probably be able to have one by next week ( only if the stock's in obviously)

tigermad

Distinguished Member
As others have said, go to the Apple store. They changed my 3gs twice for me even though I bought from O2 online.

spikeyjac

As others have said, go to the Apple store. They changed my 3gs twice for me even though I bought from O2 online.
I would do but my nearest apple store is 1h30min drive away..
And they will just say the cosmetic damage is my fault..
Jack

I finish work at 1 tommorow, so as soon as I'm home I'm going to ring up apple then orange ( explain my predicament about going to NY etc)

Last edited:

spikeyjac

Bumpp :)

Nuggsy

Novice Member

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
I'd put money on Orange (and others) having kept some back to deal with customer complaint, returns, etc...

Just get it sent off ASAP and I'm sure they'll sort it quickly.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
I don't get it.

I'm presuming the OP has damaged his phone, but has rung Orange to get out of the contract by using the "7 day cooling off period" clause, but not telling them it's damaged?

If so, they will simply refuse the get out when they get the phone back and realise it's damaged.

No different if you took it into a store in person and had the same conversation.

The clause will state that it "must be returned as you received it", "in new condition" and "with all accessories" etc.

Last edited:

spikeyjac

No I haven't damaged my phone.
It's been on my desk syncing since thursday and then after a little play ( holding it in my hand) I put it back..
Friday morning I noticed a chip and a scratch on it ( not big enough , if I had dropped it, then it would have been bigger than this)
I've rung orange and they have basically said I can send it back as I recieved it with cosmetic damage , and they will basically cancel my upgrade.. This will take about a week and then I will just have to upgrade again.
I go to turkey next week, and so won't be able to upgrade for a week, and then I'm only back 4 days then I'm going to New York..
What I can't decide to do is either send it back and risk not having an iPhone on my flight to NY and for use in NY ( Because we don't have a clue what stock levels are going to be like)
Or keep it and put up with the chip..
It's a tiny chip, but it could become annoying..
Here's a picture :

And I realise I spelt dilema wrong, oops :p

spikeyjac

Just keep it and stick a silicone gel cover on the whole phone, that will cover the ever so tiny dent :)
I don't want a silicone case on it :p :p
I'm gonna have a proper think this weekend :)
Cheers
Jack

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
That would annoy the hell out of me even if I covered it up (cos I'd know it's there). I'd say just send it back quick smart and cross your fingers. Can't you just get someone to upgrade over the phone on your behalf while you're in Turkey?

spikeyjac

Yeah I'm gonna send it back.
Going to ring up tonight, and send it off monday.
Yeah hopefully there will be a new iPhone 4 waiting for me when I get back!

spikeyjac

I just hope that I'm not without one for months :(

muffins

Just Book a Genius at your nearest Apple store. All Orange will do is send it back to Apple, as it is Apple who handle all the returns and such.

spikeyjac

Just Book a Genius at your nearest Apple store. All Orange will do is send it back to Apple, as it is Apple who handle all the returns and such.
Called Apple.
They said because it wasn't bought from them, they wouldn't be able to swap it over..
Jack

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 18th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton