Dilemma - upgrade receiver (Anthem MRX710) or buy HDFury device

smashmouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Background

I have Anthem MRX710 that I'm happy with (other than old HDMI ports). I have a 4K TV and did have 1080p projector that I've just recently upgraded to a 4K projector. For a 4K source, I have a HDFury Integral 2 that sends 4K to my TV and 1080p to my MRX710. I would then drive my 1080p projector from my MRX710. But now I have to 4k displays I need two 4k outputs and then send 1080p / audio to the MRX710. I could buy a HDFury Vertex 2 to manage this but £400 makes me think I should just upgrade the MRX710 but would need another chunk of cash to do so. Although I would like to go to Atmos one day, it's not planned for my current house, so I could go for MRX540 but seems limited, so could go MR`X740 but even more cash and wouldn't be using the extra channels. Plus slightly reluctant in this investment until they come with HDMI 2.1 even though my projector is not 2.1.

I really wish HDMI would sort itself out and remain constant for a long time. Seems a change to replace a perfectly working amp with something else for the sake of HDMI switching.

Looking for inspiration.

Not exactly same situation, but I also had mrx710 which I was super happy with. Till bought new 4k TV. Things got complicated, I managed to use hdmi splitter, but decided finally time to upgrade.
Got myself mrx1120 second hand, and guess what, soon after installed atmos speakers, and it was great step forward.
So maybe look at second hand market, and get smth good for sensible money.

Background

I have Anthem MRX710 that I'm happy with (other than old HDMI ports). I have a 4K TV and did have 1080p projector that I've just recently upgraded to a 4K projector. For a 4K source, I have a HDFury Integral 2 that sends 4K to my TV and 1080p to my MRX710. I would then drive my 1080p projector from my MRX710. But now I have to 4k displays I need two 4k outputs and then send 1080p / audio to the MRX710. I could buy a HDFury Vertex 2 to manage this but £400 makes me think I should just upgrade the MRX710 but would need another chunk of cash to do so. Although I would like to go to Atmos one day, it's not planned for my current house, so I could go for MRX540 but seems limited, so could go MR`X740 but even more cash and wouldn't be using the extra channels. Plus slightly reluctant in this investment until they come with HDMI 2.1 even though my projector is not 2.1.

I really wish HDMI would sort itself out and remain constant for a long time. Seems a change to replace a perfectly working amp with something else for the sake of HDMI switching.

Looking for inspiration.
Getting a projector and a TV to both work through an AVR even with every 4K is a pain. The Anthems dual HDMI outputs are basically a splitter and getting a picture on either the TV or the projector can involve powering down the one you are not using. This isn’t great for an OLED.
I go sources onto an Anthem 520, then Vertex 2, then to projector and TV. It’s an amazing device and can sort out most HDMI headaches.
You can as you say put all sources to the Vertex and then send audio to your 710.

So you could buy a 540 but then find you will still need the Vertex.

I guess this is also a concern and may need some tweaking with HDMI anyway. Think I'm convinced to keep my current Anthem for now. I was already swaying this way, but was curious if anyone could offer alternative options.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom