Dilemma - Panasonic PT-AE4000 or JVC HD350?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The JVC will give a native 30k although that will be depending on the room decor. But have no fear the 350 will be clearly the winner in any room over the 4000.

phoenix_rising

Standard Member
It's settled... It's the JVC! :)

I plan on using the projector in two rooms (on ocassion) and will need a screen for one of the rooms... does anyone know of a good slimline, black hideaway manual screen that would be worth checking out... Im looking for something around 2m wide...

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Thank goodness for that I can go to bed now, just in case you change your mind and don't get the JVC tell your mate I will have it @ £550.:D

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Great choice on the JVC....I have one and love it ! Mind you, as its your first PJ I suspect that even the Panny would have been great for you, as the wow factor of the big screen experience takes over. You do realise its all downhill from here now with the pursuit of perfection in your home cinema :) .....my advice, sit back and admire the great picture you're about to buy and watch some great. Don't look for faults/issues/tweaks etc too much otherwise you'll drive yourself and the missus mad! Just enjoy it ! Good luck

phoenix_rising

Standard Member
Thanks for all the advice, opinions and explanations guys... Not to mention your newb-patience! i appreciate eveyones input on this... i've paid up for the 350 so it should be arriving Friday! Happy days! Is there a good link anywhere on this site or in the threads for "Calibrating and setting up without outboard testing kit." Just want to get organized so i have all the resources for Friday? any links or info that'll help me get it adjusted and setup opimally would be a god send?

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Best to download the AVS HD709 disc* and just set up the basic controls for brightness and contrast. IMHO the sharpness and detail enhance should be set to zero as they cause ringing and other artifacts with motion, but some like to crank them up (each to their own I suppose).

Stick with HDMI 'Normal' rather than the 'Enhanced' that some use as it doesn't really gain anything and you just have to change the contrast and brightness settings to correct (which otherwise will probably be spot on at '0' for both).

Try 6500K colour temp in 'Custom colour temperature'. Gamma is room and user dependant, but as a starting point try a custom gamma with it set to 2.3 (which will actually measure below this figure anyway).

Don't even attempt to adjust the RGB cuts or gains in the custom colour temp menu if you haven't got a meter. Though if you find the colours a bit too saturated you can try just lowering the main colour control, though this isn't really a 'correction' in calibration terms (since it's just reducing the luminance of the colours not the saturation), but subjectively you might find it better.

Best of luck and enjoy your new 'toy'. :thumbsup:

* This is th AVS HD709 link:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom