• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dilemma on bookshelf 5.1

UpgradingAgain

Established Member
I have these rather lovely Dynaudio Audience 52s and they are my current 5.1 set-up. They do fill the room with more than enough sound and of a quality i'm happy to listen to.

My question is that if i was to replace these, and I don't like Bose, I'm wondering if more discrete speakers of high quality are available to use. I'd like a bookshelf but small size. I have REL sub and the amp is an Onkyo from around 3 years ago. I don;t have a strict budget so I'm open to what people would recommend.

Thanks for reading.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Which model of Onkyo do you have?
To get the same or better quality speakers would require you to pay more than the rrp of your current speakers. What is your rough budget and/or maximum you are prepared to pay?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I suspect you are not going to get any upgrade in sound quality with that budget especially since you want smaller speakers. The kef r series could be worth a listen.

UpgradingAgain

Established Member
Thanks. I'll have a look at them. I was hoping that I could get the Dynaudio quality in a smaller form factor. I'm quite happy with their sound. Having said that, what would you say is a step up?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I would probably say you need to almost double your budget to get a meaningful upgrade. That said go demo some options to see how they sound to you.

UpgradingAgain

Established Member
Thanks. I'm half thinking I should stick with my dynaudios and just buy the centre to match. Maybe a focus centre? That's the only thing that I haven't got in my set up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom