1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dilemma of Pioneer PDP503HDE v's Hitachi 42PD5000

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by FairyCake, May 12, 2004.

1. FairyCake

FairyCake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a quandry I find myself in.

I have recently returned from my local Richer Sounds where I had gone to view and possibly purchase a Pioneer PDP503HDE for £4278.

I was presented with the ubiquitous 'Finding Nemo' and 'Toy Story'. The screen was straight out of the box and may have needed some fine tuning/ alterations.

It was attached to a Marantz DVD (I don't know the model) via a scart (S-Video wasn't used). The images on Finding Nemo and Toy Story were both just ok, whilst watching an action movie (Rush Hour 2) the images were very granulated and pixelated. Certainly not what I had envisaged. Everything had an overall 'fuzzy' feel. I was gutted.

whilst watching this I noticed a Hitachi 42PD5000 in the background. This I tested with the same films. Blacks were black and flesh and skin tones seemed excellent. This was how I imagined the images should be.

They didn't have one in store but were expecting a delivery today !12 May 2004) and I placed an order for one. I returned home and carried out some research.

I was able to find it cheaper in only 1 place by £125 excl of delivery. Richer Sounds were throwing in a free wall bracket, delivery and scart adapter box. I found several favourable reviews by US customers then I came across one particular thread which really threw a spanner in the works. Apparantly during some soaps, gardening programmes, holiday programmes etc etc (Location Location Location - Changing Rooms - Ground Force etc etc. I apologise to non UK readers who are probably wondering what these programs are, but I guess you get the gist) skins tones around the face contours on these programs turn from flesh colour to green/red when they move across the screen and then back to flesh when the movement stops. This does not happen all the time , but enough to be disconcerting and to spoil the enjoyment and realism of the program.

I have read quite a lot of reviews on the Pioneer PDP434HDE and these seem very favourable yet I haven't been able to see on working yet. I have also just read a review of the Pioneer PDP-504 HDE in June's ed of Home Cinema Choice which also seems favourable. However, again I have yet to see this myself.

So do I get the Hitachi 42PD5000, the Pioneer PDP434HDE or the Pioneer PDP434HDE???

I would appreciate any help on this matter as I have the money burning a hole in my pocket and I'll probably spend it on beer.

2. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Shall we all go and discuss this in the pub? £4K should get you some interesting opinions.

The Pioneer settings out of the box wouldn't have been good. Do a search on recommended settings, and go back to RS for a play - its certainly a popular screen. The blacks are better on the Hitachi, due to the glass they use. Not sure how either cope with poor sources - apart from the opinions you should get here, see if they can demo the screens with free-view. You'll still be able to improve these after, with either scaler/de-interlacer, leads etc,

3. FairyCake

FairyCake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked in the store if it would be possible to view either Sky or terrestial tv. The reason being whilst I enjoy the odd DVD and watching 'Finding Nemo' or 'Toy Story' just the once, 90% of my viewing will be Sky.

Unfortunately the chap in the shop said they didn't have Sky in store. Nor a regular Terrestial tv link either.

The journey to the Richer Sounds store is quite a bit out of my way.

Do you seriously think the fine tuning/ adjustments to be made could be worth the journey? If so I'll gladly make it.

I just wouldn't want to be as disappointed as I was the first time around :eek:(

Keith

4. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Also did you take note of connectivity and the quality of the cables used...

couldn't get a decent comparison in any shop for the screens due to plasma settings, cables used and type of connectivity..

was also worried about TV viewing on my panny plasma as I hadn't ever seen a decent pic. However after the advice on this forum and searching endless posts the best set-up i've seen of the panny is at home, also very delighted with freeview.

5. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I can't speak for the Hitachi pd5000 but I have had a PD3000 for over a year and on comparing the two side by side in a shop I could not see much difference. The PQ on Freeview for programs such as those mentioned is entirely down to the transmitted quality, some weeks it can be stunning, others much poorer - digital displays tend to be more critical of poor signals. I have never seen the colour changes that you describe, I am sure that I would notice a green faced Charlie Dimmock! DVD playback is always excellent and the AV box copes well with PAL and NTSC DVD signals, whether interlaced or PS.

It is a big price difference to pay for the Pio, I have not regretted buying the Hitachi (even with the recent price drop). Nothing is perfect and new and improved models always appear at a rate of knots. :thumbsup:

6. BKATZ

BKATZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    £4300 for a 503, OR £4800 for a 504.....

IMHO I would pay the extra & have the new piece of kit!

Regards,

B. :)

(504/868/VSXA5)

7. FairyCake

FairyCake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice guys.

My next step is to try and find a dealer that will let me view Sky on any of the above.

8. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best solution is to not watch Location Location Location, Changing Rooms or Ground Force on your new plasma TV. :)