Question Dilemma..new car? fix current? PHEV?

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by ant_j, Sep 12, 2018.

1. ant_j

ant_j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    So just to set the scene..
    There are 2 adult and 2 kids (7 and 4 yrs) living at home.
    I have 2 boys from a previous relationship; have every other weekend and a couple of longer periods up to a week thru year. (8 and 14)
    I own (outright) a 58 plate smax 1.8 diesel. avg 8-9k miles a year (7 seater to take everyone out)
    Always owned a used car, never financed.
    Also have a small runaround 1.2 punto 54 plate for wife shop and trips. <3k miles a year.

Punto ok in terms of reliability etc, £120 tax which is a pain. £20 fuel every 6 weeks
    Smax £180 annual tax £80 fuel monthly.

So, smax is 185k miles, just had new clutch flywheel £600, needs a cambelt (400 ish) and currently not running (may be a simplke fuel issue).

Getting old and high miles looking at options.

Through work i can get salary sacrifice for a car that must be <75g co2 per kg so choice is limited.
    7 seater my options are volvo xc90, tesla x, rangerover. All over an affordable monthly amount but are 7 seats (and the only ones available)

My preferred option from the available cars is the mitshi outlander PHEV 5hs. Looking at a hit on my wages by £380 per month for 36 months, all but fuel paid for.
    I can try justify that with the fuel savings, repairs on smax etc, but only 5 seats. Meaning we all cant go out together. Wife says to go for it and we could always hire a 7 seat for rare times were together.
    She says my eldest will be 15 soon and loose interest in holidays to coast and going on family outings etc.

So my dilemma is two fold 'renting a car', and going to a 5 seater.
    Plus/minus the punto?
    Or do i patch the smax for a while longer??

What to do...

2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,334
    If you are willing to sacrifice your salary by that much, why don't you do it on a personal basis and actually get what you want? Then you don't have to have the limit of less than 75g co2 and it opens up a whole range of cars for less than £380/month as well.

Also with the children getting bigger, the 3rd row in the S-Max really isn't that great is it? A Skoda Kodiaq in 7 seat form is cavernous in comparison, or if you want to stay in the MPV segment than Renault/Citroen/Peugeot have some good value for money options as well.

But ultimately spending the money on the S-Max is in the short term by far the most economical option.

3. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    smax @ 185k there will always be a bill every month. Time to change

Range Rover not that reliable, Volvo expensive, Tesla ???

Skoda Kodiaq worth a look, Outlander has good name. Keep the Punto for 2nd car