Dilemma: New bulp or projector ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by salty, Dec 28, 2006.

1. salty

salty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a Sony VPL-VW10HT which the bulb went on a little while ago, looks like its gonna be about ~£400 to replace it. I got it a few years ago second hand and haven't looked at the market for ages. But am aware it was hellishly expensive when it first came out.

Problem is looking at the prices of some projectors nowadays do I go for a new one or replace my bulb ? What sort of quality would I be looking at for a slightly higher price ? would I be outclassing mine or be looking at a lot more to get to similar quality ?

The VW10HT is pretty old, released 6/7 years ago I think but is,

LCD HD, 1366 x 768 (720p, 1080i, 480p/i) 1000 ANSI lumens.

And I've always been very happy with the picture quality - and HD albeit only tried with a 360 looks fantastic.

Anyone help me out with some advice, bit of a newbie on the current batch of projectors and a load of reading up isnt swaying me one way or the other...

Cheers.

2. SuzyG

SuzyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally i think you should take a trip to your local AV outlet and go in for a demo. i think you will be surprised by how much things have moved on. My husband had a top of the range BenQ £3500 projector which was nearly 3 years old. i was happy with it to be honest and it wasnt until we demo'd a £1300 Infocus In76 that the difference was noticeable, better quality at a better price..it got better the further up the price scale we got and so we are saving now!

3. Dwayne Dibley

Dwayne Dibley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +346
    Oh SuzyG, I wish my wife were so understanding:D

4. Ellispa

Ellispa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I had a similar problem recently, when the bulb on my Panny AE500 blew on me.

I'd been umming and ahhing about upgrading for a while, and balanced up spending £200 on a new Bulb, or £900 on a 3 generations better Panny AX100.

I went with the new Panny. Probably stupid, as the old projector was perfectly good, but I was in need of a little retail therapy. Was surprised at how much bigger the new Panny is over my old one, but its also much better, quieter, flexible etc.

Now only got to figure out what to do with the old Projector. Should I sell it for a pittance without a bulb, or blow £200 on a bulb, and hope to get £300 on fleabay!

Any Takers!

5. salty

salty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all - what makes it more difficult for me is mine would have been £4-6K when released, I paid a pittance second hand and it was in as new condition -so it owes me nothing.

Plus the specs are pretty good, HD, decent resolution, very very well reviewed, ok its a little noisy and has a massive footprint but otherwise I have no complaints. If I was looking at £1-2k on a new one I'm not sure I'd be getting more quality for my bucks.

6. mjw1999

mjw1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I too had the 10ht. the best pj of its time IMO.
    it will be bettered by the sony hs60 which can be bought for aboyt £950 from discount tv.
    save £400 on bulb
    sell 10ht for £150 on ebay/avforums
    you only have to spend an extra £400 and hs60 will outclass the 10ht for contrast, blacks, noise level, setting up lens shift, hdmi interface and the list goes on.
    i had the same dilema as you and went for the Hs50(the one hs60 replaced) and was happy with the decision i made:thumbsup:

7. salty

salty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MJW - really useful to hear another previous owners experience.

I ended up caving this afternoon and ordering the bulb - after reading a load more around the projectors at likely pricepoint and deciding that if upgrading I'd want to factor in a lot of other things like cabling, switching to ceiling mounting from shelving, screen upgrade etc,. Plus I can be back with HD viewing from tomorrow fingers crossed rather than spending ages checking out potential replacements.

I think we'll sit with this for a little longer and either move to a spare room on upgrade or sell online hopefully for something reasonable.

Thanks to all for advice, much appreciated.

8. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Similar dilema but i have a hs10 which will soon need its third bulb.

Last time I changed the bulb I had a look at a HS50 (redimentary iris off putting, short throw not suitable) and H79 (lovely & quiet but my wife saw rainbows). Compared to a PJ with a defunct bulb they of course look great but IMHO they were not night and day better than what i knew I already had and just changed bulb.

This time I am going to get a Pearl or the new JVC but it will take that type of move to 1080 to make me get rid of it.

cheers
    rob

9. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Salty,

I think you have done the right thing - the vw10 still gives a cracking picture and (IMO) still competes in todays market. (other than the bl**dy noise level!!)

I currently have the vw11 and, like Rob, will stick with what I have unless I go for the pearl or jvc - even then I am not too sure about the pounds spent/improvement gained ratio?

Enjoy the bulb!

10. salty

salty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers all - arrived, installed and back to the joys of cinematic viewing once more ! :smashin:

11. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If it's any help, well probably way too late but I recently went round the same decision process and instead of a new bulb for my 6 year old 10HT I bought a HD70 returned and then a Panasonic AX100, and to be honest I think the 10HT can still compete regardless of what others and manufacturers claim.

Enjoy the next 2000 hours on your Sony, I could list the differences if you wanted but there is a picture quality on film material that the AX100 just can't deliver. Saying that I'm concetrating on the bits that are better on the AX100 just to make me feel better!

Slingshot

12. mjw1999

mjw1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    still a great PJ and you will not be dissapointed with another few years service.
    went to the tower of london this weekend and 10ht's were everywere.
    if there good enougth for the queen!:thumbsup: