1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dilemma : Getting a new Plasma with DVI or keeping the old one

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by robycasag, Aug 18, 2005.

1. robycasag

robycasag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered a Denon 2910 with SDI output which will feed my Cinemateq
    plus with SDI input . now I have a Panasonic TH 42PHW5 which indeed
    is HD but does not have the possibility of a DVI input.
    the only way I can connect the scaler to the plasma is via the normal analogs video output. ( component/super video etc etc)
    What should i do? try to sell the plasma and buy the PHW7?
    Any advise will be helpfull.
    Roberto

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You could consider an 8 series, but I would not rush. I've got a client with a very similar setup, he uses the digital output of a scaler for his projector, analogue for plasma. It looks terriffic with SDI sky, though he has an analogue DVD input specially for the plasma as it won't make HDCP into analogue.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Keep the plasma and run it either native resolution or 720p, RGBHV via the VGA connection. Not even the latest Panasonic screens will accept native resolution via DVI unless you convert things to 50Hz. I would take the benefit of your Cinemateq and SDI player for a while now, then get into upgrading the plasma more when there are suitable screens available

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I guaruntee that even if you bought an HD8 panny you would still want to connect it via RGBhv, the analogue inputs are still going to give just as good an image and allow 50Hz at the resolution you want.
    Wait for the next gen when hopefully you will be able to input native resolution at 50Hz on the digital inputs.
    The PW5 still gives a stunning image, I prefer it to the 7 series with pal and ntsc is no different. Save yourr money mate, or by a PHD8. ;)