Dilemma for new Sony 3LCD KDF-E50A12U

howardg

Standard Member
I cant believe my bad luck. My new KDF-E50A12U seems to have a defect on the screen. I posted a thread to see if anyone else has a white bloom visaible on their screen In other cases it seems to the result of mirror reflection but on my set the mark seems to be a defect.

I bought the set from John Lewis and they have no more sets in stock. They have suggested a replacement screen which seems the best option however Sony have not been helpful in supplying either a new screen or a replacement set apparently Sony have none left. (This is JL dealing directly with Sony). A Sony authorised engineer is coming tomorrow to check the set.

Would you accept a new screen.

Your views appreciated

Dazzyman

Novice Member
I don't know what to suggest mate. I know from all of us what own the 3LCD that when the television is off you can see a bloom effect in the middle of the screen due to light reflecting off the lense but when its switched on you definetly shouldnt get a lighter patch in the middle as that is a definite fault.

I personally adore my television but I have developed a fault also in the last week with mine and also have an engineer coming tommorow Thursday (see here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384717) up until then I've been a very happy bunny with it and have used it around 12hours a day since getting it in January for everything and have been amazed by it everyday for whatever I use (only downside is PC via VGA thats all).

I know tommorow myself though that it will be crunch time to see what the engineer says to me also and if they are out of stock and cannot replace it (as there not even listed anymore with Currys) I might just have to bite the bullet and get the agreement cancelled and get a DLP instead. Sony do have a new model due out I think its October as well so that could be an alternative but for me personally I know if Sony cannot fix my unit or replace it I would go buy a Sagem or Samsung DLP in its place as there around the same price now, if they can fix it then great and I will still be a happy bunny :rotfl: :D

howardg

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice. I did propose the exchange for the new model but JL werent to keen on this due to the price difference between the two models and they werent sure if they were going to to stock a 50" model in the near future but that was only conjecture. I will see what the engineers have to say first and take it from there.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
howardg:

Is this effect visible when
- the TV is on or off or both ?
- the room itself is dark ?

howardg

Standard Member
The mark can only be seen with the set switched off in day light. I just pulled the curtians so the room is fairly dark but not pitch black. I cant see the mark but I think the scrren need some light on it to pick out the mark which is a wave pattern about 6".

Bat-man

Howard
So is there a problem or not?
From what you say it's sounds fine.

howardg

Standard Member
I am still waiting for the engineers to check out the TV. I dont know if its a defect or not.
I'll keep you posted

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be fairly sure, then, that it is, indeed, a reflection of the ambient lighting in the room, off the internal mirrors. Not a defect; simply an artefact of how rear projection TVs work.

b2sbailey

Novice Member
howardg said:
Can I test this by blocking light from entering the TV?
Close the curtains and I bet it's not there

My Sony has the 'bloom' during daylight hours but not at night.

This dosen't bother me in the slightest as it has been said many times that this is how they work/are.

Steve.

b2sbailey

Novice Member
howardg said:
The mark can only be seen with the set switched off in day light. I just pulled the curtians so the room is fairly dark but not pitch black. I cant see the mark but I think the scrren need some light on it to pick out the mark which is a wave pattern about 6".

Just spotted your previous post.
You have answered your own question.
It's not a fault, it's just ambient light reflecting off of the mirrors inside the tv.
It's not that noticable unless you are looking for it.

Forget about it and enjoy the TV for what it is, a fantastic set for the price.

(and I'd say it's a million times better than the new SXRD!!!!;) ;) ;) )

howardg

Standard Member
Thanks for your responses
The engineers have confirmed exactly what you have said that its light entering the set and hitting the reflective sheet inside the set ie no fault. I still dont understand the position of the white mark and its shape. Other owners who discussed this issue said the mark was central on the screen and round. My mark is right of the screen and is a wave shape this why I thought I had a problem.

I can now enjoy the set. What I need now is to know how I can improve my Sky picture (I have a Panasonic 40 box using QED scart set to RGB). I know this has been and continues to be discussed but the variation in quality is amazing from excellent to almost unwatchable. Football on ITV is a disaster. Do all DVD unit upscale? I have a Panasonic E55 with component out. If attach the Skybox to the DVD recorder and use component out to the Sony will it improve.

stavros69

Standard Member

Mr Blunden

As far as I know the only differences are that stand has only one shelf instead of two :thumbsdow and the TV has two HDMI sockets instead of one :smashin:

Forum member kourosh has also stated that the contrast ratio has been improved.

stavros69

Standard Member
Mr Blunden said:
As far as I know the only differences are that stand has only one shelf instead of two :thumbsdow and the TV has two HDMI sockets instead of one :smashin:

Forum member kourosh has also stated that the contrast ratio has been improved.

Does it really have 2 HDMI sockets ?? I cidnt see that. Imight spring for the new model instead now.

W

willywonka

Hi All

Fairly new to all of this, but have just replaced my 46" DLP TOSH for the 50" 3LCD SONY (older 1 HDMI version)

Getting to grips with the new set, needs some major tweaking on all sources (advice would be appreciated) . . . anyway for those who are interested in buying . . .

I got mine from Macro for a steal . . . the old version with 2 tier shelf / 1 HDMI are selling for £699 + VAT, but wait for it . . they are also selling the newer version - 2 HDMI but crappy shelf for £799 + VAT

I dare say that once I get all my settings sorted I will be a much happier chappy

Bat-man

Getting to grips with the new set, needs some major tweaking on all sources
Settings apply to all sources.

W

willywonka

is there a thread on best way to set this monster up ?

Many thanks

Bat-man

willywonka said:
is there a thread on best way to set this monster up ?

Many thanks
Are you having problems?

It's the usual play around with the settings until you find what you want.

Mr Blunden

It depends on your viewing room but you could try the following as a starting point for a couple of weeks and then fine tune your preferences after that.

Contrast 55
Brightness 51
Colour 44
Sharpness 8
Tone Neutral
Iris Mid

Also try and keep the contrast higher than the brightness otherwise you will wash out the blacks.

stavros69

Standard Member
willywonka said:
Hi All

Fairly new to all of this, but have just replaced my 46" DLP TOSH for the 50" 3LCD SONY (older 1 HDMI version)

Getting to grips with the new set, needs some major tweaking on all sources (advice would be appreciated) . . . anyway for those who are interested in buying . . .

I got mine from Macro for a steal . . . the old version with 2 tier shelf / 1 HDMI are selling for £699 + VAT, but wait for it . . they are also selling the newer version - 2 HDMI but crappy shelf for £799 + VAT

I dare say that once I get all my settings sorted I will be a much happier chappy

Will Macro deliver ??? How big is the box otherwise, can i get it in my car ???

stavros69

Standard Member
willywonka said:
Hi All

It's also cheaper on that site i posted with a 5 year warrenty !!

hornet#30

Hi can you help i ordered mine from argos in the bank holiday sale on monday, getting delivered this monday, not sure though if it will be the new version or old anybody have any thoughts?

c.grex

Novice Member
hornet#30 said:
Hi can you help i ordered mine from argos in the bank holiday sale on monday, getting delivered this monday, not sure though if it will be the new version or old anybody have any thoughts?
yep it was in the argos sale cos it was the old one! new one is on there site for £1400!

so you'll get the old one.

hornet#30

good job i don't need 2 HDMi sockets then.:)

Frasermack

Novice Member
stavros69 said:
Will Macro deliver ??? How big is the box otherwise, can i get it in my car ???

Got mine from Makro last november and they don't deliver. Couldn't fit it in a Saab 9000 with seats down etc as the box is massive however, embarrassingly given how often I slag her little car, it fitted in my partners Peugeot 206. I had to put it on its side which will no doubt cause horror to some but knew it would be fine if taken slowly :rolleyes: . Had 4 fits and a bad turn when she promptly set off at 75mph along the motorway with my 50" telly sticking out the back door:eek: . Tch women etc......

I had a PC input cable from my notebook to PC input on the side which worked fine once I'd reduced screen resolution from notebook however now the screen is incredibly green looking when using it. The cable isn't old and can't think how it may have got damaged. Is it possibly the connection on the TV and has anyone else had this? It's only on PC input it occurs...........

Regards,

Frasermack