1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dilemma: AE, Velodyne or Paradigm sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by dejongj, Jul 9, 2003.

1. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Upgrade fever and one of those most difficult decisions which sub. The fact is that you can hardly demo any of these units anywhere so my gospel that you should listen and not read doesn't really work here.

I was decided that it had to be a cht-10, cht-15 or servo-15 to partner my Aegis 3's and centre based upon all the recommendations in this forum. The main decision would then be size as to whether it fits below my projection screen .....

But now I can get the AE Aegis Sub brand new for £99 pounds which is a bargain...The question is whether the subs mentioned above are really 300-500 pounds worth better?

I know these are opinions but that is what I want...

Are there any AE Aegis Sub owners on this forum?

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +889
    Hell, yes. The decision as to whether it's worth going from something costing £500-£700 up to something costing £1500-£2000 is a little bit tougher.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    The CHT-15 and Servo 15 aren't even in the same ballpark as the Aegis sub as they are so far ahead of the budget subs sonically that there is just no comparison.

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi dejongj
    Get the pardigm or velo dont waste your time with the little boys you will only get upgraditis and probably end up with either of those anyway and thats from experiance (had 3 subs in 6 months hopefully this next will last a lot longer).
    Gonzo.:D

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent! Sounds like I should forget about the Aegis Sub.

Better start measuring to see which of the subs mentioned earlier will get there place underneath my projection screen!

6. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    just thought i would let you know that i have a aegis sub , and while being well made and better than nothing all the 'proper' subs i have heard kick the crap out of it!
    i only brought it cuz i did'nt know what i was doing , and if i had the dough i would be heading to the power buys section right now...........

7. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sly,

Thank you very much for your 2 cents. Sounds like I better save that £100 pounds.

Problem now is choosing between the CHT-10, CHT-15 or Servo 15. They all fit!!!
    The Servo 15 seems to be a bargain at £499 and getting some good reviews here on the forum. Or is the Velodyne a better buy, or does it comes down to which black box is the 'best' looking ;-)

Cheers,

JP

8. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    JP

If it helps at all, I am a regular visitor to my local 7Oakes in Hull and having listened to many of the usual suspects (Rel, B&W, M&K, Kef) I purchased the new MJ Acoustics Ref 150.

With it's new D.A.M.P technology it made integration a breeze and I am delighted with my purchase. It is available for £550 in black or £629 in wood vener. I have pretty beefy Kef Q7's as fronts and was amazed at the extra depth brought on by this modestly sized sub!

Check out http://www.mjacoustics.co.uk for extra info.

The guys at MJ have been very helpful and informative.

Regards

Darren

9. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Darren,

Thanks for the advice. I actually crossed the MJ's from my list because they are down firing. I am in the believe that downfiring subs with a pergo floor (laminate) are not really desirable. Also I am in the believe that a forward facing sub is easier to integrate inbetween the front speakers underneath my projection screen.
    These believes could be total nonsense ofcourse and I am willing to be educated.
    It is an easier option to demo as my local sevenoaks branch is normally willing for me to try out the equipment at my home. However being a good customer I also think I should reward them with some business for that kindness and unfortunately they don't stock the velodynes or paradigmes....

Cheers,

JP

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    If you are after the best that subwoofery can offer in the price range that you indicated, you need to be looking at the Velodyne CHT-15, Paradigm Servo 15, or my own favourite SVS 20-39 PC Plus.

If you need to fit the unit under a projection screen, that will effectively rule out the Tower of Power as it is probably going to be too tall for you but both the Servo 15 and CHT-15 are probably almost as good :D

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,737
  13. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,

Now that is one mean monster! Like it a lot, fulfills all my needs and fits underneath my screen as well.

Actually besides a subwoofer I think it has multiple uses:
    1. Podium for my little girl and big girl (wife) to do their singing or cheer when I got beaten at Tiger Woods...
    2. Or when pumping out the bass use it as a trampoline...
    3. Or with the air being shifted put it on its side and I can practise my freefall skydive in my living room...

Fantastic suggestion!!! And the best part is that my contracted has been extended for another year so I can afford it ;-)

Cheers,

JP

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The B4 is a passive subwoofer- so you need a amp.. however if you prefer active subwoofers you could buy two of these..

http://svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb2_plus.htm

And they'll be cheaper than the B4 with a amp..

I have not heard SVS B4 or B2 subwoofers. It's a bit risky ordering the top-end SVS subwoofers without demoing them I guess (I'll be looking at getting a passive or active CS-Ultra)

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +889
    Of possible interest on the Velodyne/Paradigm issue is the question of what these subs cost in America (bearing in mind that Velodyne is an american company and Paradigm is a Canadian one).

Note that US list prices as such can be deceptive as they are always quoted without tax or delivery, so don't expect to be able to convert $ to £ directly - you have to allow for VAT, import duty, shipping costs across the Atlantic and so on. But what is interesting is the relative price points of Velodyne and Paradigm subs in the US and in the UK.

US List Prices:

Velodyne CHT-10 $500
    Velodyne CHT-15 $800
    Paradigm Servo 15 $1500 (including X.30 controller)

UK List Prices:

Velodyne CHT-10 £385 (powerbuy price £325 including delivery)
    Velodyne CHT-15 £885 (powerbuy price £684 including delivery)
    Paradigm Servo 15 £600 (including X.30 controller, but NOT delivery)

You don't, of course, have to buy an X.30 controller if you have something else that can do bass management (e.g. a home cinema processor), which knocks £100 off the Servo 15 price.

16. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi All
    MY svs 20-39pc+ cost £640 with shipping then ive got the extras to pay at this end prob £140 so £780 all in but for the money ive been informed i wont be dissapointed.Another thing i took in to consideration was the subs may increase in price which has been mentioned so all points being if i didnt get one now might result in me not being able to purchase one later .
    My shipping costs were 220 dollars which seems to be more than anyone else has paid off these forums already and it all adds up.
    Plus knowing this goverment they will probably come out with new import taxes so best to get in now.
    Gonzo.

17. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,

I was actually kidding! I am more thinking of the CHT-15 or Servo 15. I must admit that the Servo 15 looks pretty good on paper (and I do not need the X.30).
    Anything bigger and the RSPCA or BornFree foundation will file complaints as I will scare the animals at Whipsnade zoo!!! (My neighbours....)

Thanks for all the advice chaps...

JP

18. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    has anyone done comparison of svs and velo? The velo's are obviously very popular around here and have many advocates who are seen as experts. The svs dont seem to have quite the same backing, is this for a reason or have i just missed something?

ad

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Not sure that it's relevant to this thread as the SVS is too tall to fit in under the projection screen but so far as I am aware only Nic Rhodes has heard SVS subwoofers and the Velodyne HGS18 but there are currently at least two CHT-15 owners strongly thinking of buying SVS.

The SVS is only available directly from the manufacturer in USA and to many people that is offputting but to me it means cutting out both a UK importer and retailer which probably account for a goodly slice of the purchase price and therefore buying a sub at half what it would cost if bought through the "usual channels"

There is a standing invitation for any Servo 15 or Velodyne owner who wants to come round and listen to mine for a comparison and that includes Orbital who lives a mile down the road.

Until recently there has only been three SVS owners on the forum but four more bought in June and there are three or four more who are about to press the "buy" button.

The small but select band is growing :D

20. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oooooh Ian don't say that..... :) I am about to change my mind...

Well not really, I am slightly scared about having a little girl around who is trying to stand up and walk around at the moment. And although I could put the SVS somewhere else I think she may try to tip it over...
    Also I was thinking, do any of the SVS owners have cats? Don't they confuse it for a scratch pole? :)

21. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi dejongj
    Ive read on the us forums that cats seem to stay away from the sub, saying that its probably not very nice getting blown off your scratch post when watching saving private ryan.I think the subs are quite heavy with a low sense of gravity but as i havent received mine yet IanJ would be the one to ask about the subs balance.
    Gonzo.

22. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    She would have to be built like the proverbial brick outhouse to tip it over. I have a three year old and the "Tower of Power" is the least of my worries as the standmounts are far less secure.

For something so tall, it actually has the seal of approval from the boss as she prefers it's shape to the huge boxes that would be the alternatives.

23. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gonzo you are very funny, I post a silly reply and you even provide a serious answer!! I bet those US forum members don't let their cats watch Cats & Dogs from the Dogs perspective! Great movie for surround effects.

Ian, I have made a serious mistake. I showed my wife last night in a netmeeting the column of power (and yes I am still talking about subwoofers :D ). She absolutely loves the look of it and prefers it now much more to having a big black square box sitting underneath the projection screen.
    I guess I gave my wife the right advice when saying that putting a throw-over over it and a plant on top is not really the thing to do....

Anyway I might have to join the SVS columns of power club. Am I correct in assuming that although it is a downfiring model, it works well with laminate flooring because of the integrated base plate?

My little girl is only 10month and 9.7Kg, so following on from what you say she will be all right hanging on the SVS.

Ah well in a way this makes it easy choose at the looks will make the decision. I am happy as well considering the good feedback these subs have had on this forum. And I know where to find you Ian if it is a bad purchase :) The M42 corridor is not too far away from where we are! No seriously I am certain it will be easy to sell if it is not stable enough for my little monkey....

Thank you all so much for the advice, it is really appreciated. Now I have the hard task of trailing through the forum and find the most suited SVS for us...

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

24. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  25. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    My wife was pleasantly surprised when she first saw the Tower of Power. She was aware that you needed a large internal volume to generate the sort of bass that you feel rather than hear but wasn't overkeen on the large boxes that I had been trying to sell her.

The bottom of the sub is a thick integral base plate so it doesn't matter what type of surface it sits on. A friend in a caravan has been advised that it would work there too, so the type of floor doesn't matter too much due to the design of the sub.

I can't advise you which of the various models to go for as I have only ever heard my 20-39 PC Plus but that performs well above my original expectations so I can heartily recommend it and if you fancy a run up to the Midlands to see/hear it, just let me know.

26. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Glad to hear you're enjoying the new sub Ian ;)

I'm glad to hear that it met with your wifes approval (you didn't seem too sure she'd like it last time I spoke to you!)

27. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That sounds like cruelty to children to me :rotfl:

Matt.

28. DSM

DSM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have two servo 15's, 1 was probably good enough but I like things symetrical!
    I would recommend one although the build quility isn't excellent inside ( I had to have a look ) still sounds very good though and can be over powering at times with everything shaking outside the room! I would have prefered a W bin but is a bit big!
    If you can get one its worth a try because the next step up is a lot more money to get that little extra % quality;)

Good luck with what ever you finally choose its worth the effort.

Dave :devil:

29. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +889
    And yet you think you need two of them? :rolleyes:

30. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,353
    Ian I'll take you up on that invite, if Orbital doesn't. Love to hear a comparison.

cheers
    Matt