Dilemma - 49 inch ... or 43 inch?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by rashomon, Aug 22, 2018.

1. rashomon

rashomon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all - hope you can help me out.

I'm at a crossroads - I'm looking to upgrade my current trusty Sony 40EX713 for a shiny new toy. My TV is wall mounted on an articulating arm within an alcove and I have a soundbar sitting below the TV on a plinth. Not really planning any major reconfiguration of the room and as a result restricted for space somewhat.

For general viewing the TV is pulled out slightly and angled into the room ... but for 'movie night' I usually pull the TV out fully and angle accordingly. The room is approx 4m x 3m and the image below gives an idea of the room layout.

[​IMG]

My big dilemma is what size TV I should go for.

The 'like for like' choice is to replace the 40" with a 43" - with the thinner bezels available nowadays, the amount of space it will take up will be no different but I'll get a slightly larger screen.

The alternative is that I go for a 'proper' upgrade and get a 49" TV instead. I've done some measurements and I will have about 1 cm to spare either side and top/bottom - so a tight fit but it does fit! Going for a 49" will give me an opportunity to look at more options with the tech available - HDR, 4K, FALD etc and I'm currently liking the look of the Sony 49XF90 at this size. Or perhaps a Samsung though I've not shortlisted any.

I'm worried that a 49" might look a bit overbearing ... but at the same time ... I wonder if it's just a case of getting used to it.

What do you think?

2. GreywolfinCZ

GreywolfinCZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Choice is actually yours to made, but in my opinion, the bigger usually the better. If you manage to fit in somehow, of course.

I had 43", then I bought 55" few years ago. I've always wanted 65" but those years ago, it was not so easily affordable as now. 2017 I've bought 65" and in movie night or PS4 PRO, I park right before it, having my personal cinema and - man, I do love it.

As my old TV was refunded after a failure, I'm currently waiting until my new 65" is delivered. I'm stuck with PS4 PRO and 24" monitor. I do not enjoy any play at it. Huge difference - I seriously need my large screen and my external sound system back to have fun.

I hope my story helped.

3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Depends how much you care about respecting manufacturer guidelines which usually state you need a ventilation gap each side/top depending where vents are.

With the XF9005 this is in the manual:
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately if you do obey them, which I am sure most people would, you are stuck with not so nice options at 43"/40" and I would be tempted in that situation not to buy a new TV at all.

4. rashomon

rashomon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the replies!

Ventilation? ... wow! I never even considered this. Hmm ... well given that I would be pulling the TV out when viewing I am comfortable in that I'd meet the guidelines - apart from the bottom I think.

I am leaning towards 49" now more than ever and there is a chance I can grab the Sony 49XF90 for a good discounted price. I'll continue to research further but are there any other standout TVs at this size I should be short-listing - looking at a max spend of £1000.

5. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Nope - XF90 is only game in town at the size. XF85 is a decent alternative but it would need to be significantly cheaper to even things out.

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Hard at 49" because there is next to no competition. XF90 @ £900 is an okay deal but I'd prefer to spend £800 on it.

7. rashomon

rashomon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    so another dilemma! ... I have an opportunity to purchase new at a very good price in the 800 region ... though with only 1yr warranty.

Just a dice roll ...

normally I'd go for a JL or RS purchase with the free 5 years warranty ... or do I grab the opportunity and hope nothing goes wrong after 12 months. I imagine most sets would reveal any serious deficiencies within the first few months right?

8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    You mean this?

Sony KD-49XE9005 KD49XE9005BU.A

Its only really £150 less than you can get it new.

I would just wait for its new price to be reduced to that level or wait for a retailer discount code, possibly at black friday and buy then.

If you absolutely need to buy now £150 is not a bad price to pay for an extra 4-5 year warranty if you want to get it from a reputable source.

9. rashomon

rashomon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks mate for the reply and link.

Nope - that's the XE ... nice find though! It's the XF I can get hold of for decent price.

I guess it won't get to £800 for Black Friday ? I wish I could have checked the movements in price of the XE last year to gauge the trend ... I need that time machine built pronto!

Never considered the warranty as a separate thing before. Might give this some thought.

10. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Dyslexia strikes again! :facepalm:

Well still not sure its worth £150 more. The XE9005 was at its cheapest new at around £800 but there is a lack of competition this year so I really can't say for sure if it will drop as much or not, its worth waiting to see though..at least until black friday.

11. rashomon

rashomon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Cheers Dodgexander

Ya will sleep on it before making any silly decisions. Black Friday not that far off I guess and it's not like I desperately need an upgrade.