1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dilema

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NorthST, Aug 2, 2005.

1. NorthST

NorthST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi People

Ok, I'm in a dilema! I have the option of these two plasmas, and deals.

1) Pioneer 435XDE £2400, 2 years warranty, inc speakers & stand.
    2) Panny PV500, £2249, free DVD rec, 5 year warranty

I like the look and feel of the Pioneer better (seems better quality to me) BUT I think the Panny could offer me more for my money.

What do you guys think??

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    They are both good screens, the Pioneer when fed a decent feed is excellent, with a decent quality dvd it is right up there with the best screens available, give it Hi-Def and it truly sings.

The panasonic is stunning as well, and as an all round package that can be put into a system and used a TV straight out the box is probably the set I would go for, looks amazing with Hi-Def, as it does with DVD, the excellent black levels really give it that 3D look that only proper black levels can give, and it does an excellent job with current standard definition TV too.

Now this is where you have to weigh up what you are going to use it for, if it is just for DVD and upcoming Hi-Def TV then the Pioneer is well worth £2400, however if you are buying it and plan to use it with current standard definition TV with no real plans to move over to HD soon, the Pioneer may not be the best option. It struggles more than the Panny with weaker feeds, in fact it struggled so much with TV I got rid of mine and went back to Panasonic, I watch a lot of sport and the Pionner just wasn't as good with it.

There are positives and negatives for both screens, you can read about them all over the net, and I don't think you would be disapointed with either, is it your first digital display?

3. NorthST

NorthST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it's my first digital display and it will be mainly used with Sky +.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    Then I would say you need to have a look at both of them running Sky, I found the Pionner very disapointing with it, luckily I had bought mine from a mate who took it back after a couple of weeks.

The reason I asked if it was your first digital display is if you had already been using a plasma from someone else you may have found the Pioneer very good with Sky, compared with a lot of plasmas it is not bad, but if you want better than not bad, have a look at both running the source you are going to be using.
    Every city must have a store with the Pionner and the Panny running, go and see them.

5. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +143
    With a stretch of your budget you could add a video processor and get the lot ISF calibrated with stunning results. This is what I did and I haven't looked back. Even Sky looks amazing. I watch hundreds (yes, thats right, hundreds!) of football matches a year and the set-up is mindblowing. It wasn't before the processor and calibration but now I love my set-up.

You can check things out here for example.
    And no, I'm nothing to do with the company just a very satisfied customer.
    http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/home.html

6. NorthST

NorthST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will go and have a look at a bit later. Do you think if go with the Pioneer, later on when HD is available it could be the better set?

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    Eitzel, what vertical refresh are you running on your Plasma/Lumagen for watching football?

8. NorthST

NorthST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting.....

What sort of money are they? and how hard are they to install?

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    No. It will be better, but not the better set.

Look at the screens all the installers, calibrators etc. use, that should tell you something.

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    If you are going to consider a scaler and an ISF calibration I would look at getting a commercial panel rather than a TV, you can sqeeze a lot more out of them than the equivilent TV.

11. NorthST

NorthST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which one are they mainly using???

12. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think that 435XDE is much of a deal. The new 436 will come in cheaper when its price settles in stock and take the Panasonic & Hitachi head-on.

So I'd choose between the Panasonic, Hitachi 42PD7500 and Pioneer 436.

I disagree with gizlaroc - I find the 42PV500 to have poor contrast (by this I mean the difference brightness in the same frame, not dynamic contrast which the specs reflect), and therefore to have a very flat picture. The Pioneer and Hitachi are much more three dimensional. The 42PV500 also has very poor scaling/processing - Sky is an artefact nightmare...

If anything I guess this shows you should take gizlaroc's advice and check out the sets to decide for yourself, as we all see things differently.

13. NorthST

NorthST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, I'm gonna check this out at lunch time. I will post back how I find both running Sky.

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    Why don't you ask Gordon what he would reccommend (he is the guy in that link), tell him you are after a display and scaler and his services for the day and see what he says, he knows what displays he can get the most out of, and what will look better with Sky etc.

15. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    And ask for the remotes, play with the settings, turn off all the processing crap, adjust the contrast, brightness and colour to how you like it and then decide which one you prefer.

Don't judge a plasma based on the settings they have it on in a store.

16. NorthST

NorthST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I checked them both out and the picture on the panasonic I thought was better. They were both playing DVD's. Why would the Pioneer look so bad (very grainy)? Surely there must be a reason for this?

17. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    Were they both running the same feed?
    ie the same player, same connection and same disc?

Did you adjust the settings?

and have a look at Sky?

If no to any of the above then you didn't really demo the screens.

18. NorthST

NorthST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I didn't really demo the screens properly, the trouble was they were very busy, so I could only look and not play :thumbsdow

I can only assume that it should look superb playing a DVD to the Pioneer as well? Surely something was not set up correctly, as I say it was very blurred.

19. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    You need to go down there in the evening and have a good play, you will have to live with it everyday so you need to get it right.

As I have said, I am not a fan of the Pioneer screens, no, let me rephrase that, I am not a fan of the Pioneer FDE and XDE screens, but a dvd should not have looked blurry, unless it was hooked up with composite.
    Just goes to show, you can not tell what they look like in a store.
    You need to go and see them set up properly, or spend an hour having a play with them yourself.

20. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +143
    V. Refresh Rate is 50Hz - H. Res. 1226 - V. Res. 720P. I input via a SCART to RGBSync cable and output from DVI via an adaptor to HDMI in the media box. Do you have a Lumagen? If so, make sure you have the latest update (072605) with the "Genlock" feature. This again makes a big difference. Oh, and set the deinterlace setting for "Video" not "Auto" when watching SKY. :smashin:

21. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    I don't have a Lumagen any more, I swapped over to the darkside :)

The reason I asked about the refresh was because the Pioneer has such a strange native refresh, and can only be 1:1 mapped using it, that I thought no one could be.

This is the timings for the 505 given by Pioneer, and only for VGA.....

Horizontal scan rate 45.113Khz
    Horizontal total active 1280
    Horizontal front porch 048
    Horizontal sync width 112
    Horizontal back porch 248
    Vertical refresh rate 56.25Hz
    Vertical lines 768
    Vertical front porch 001
    Vertical sync width 003
    Vertical back porch 030

pixel clock = 76.15 MHz

22. e_python

e_python

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest where are you getting Panny PV500, £2249, free DVD rec, 5 year warranty from please

(If JL which branch, please and who did they price match).

Thank you.

23. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very difficult to see a 435 XDE showing sky in a demo,i tried all over and drew a blank.

All you can demo is DVD, i did see freeview in JL so i bought a 505 on that basis, now i realise why they never demo an XDE using sky :)

24. NorthST

NorthST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I popped into another shop on the way home, they had the XDE running on freeview and that picture varied depending on what we watched. News channel was superb, adverts were crap. IMO PQ depends on what channel you are watching etc. I get an excellent sky signal where I am so I'm hoping all will be well.

I think the XDE is a sure fire hit for me, like the guy said "it's the Rolls Royce of Plasmas, I think he could be right..

PS Python, yes JL Chedle.

25. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    Difference is the panny panels and the Pioneer MXE1 looks good with adverts and near dvd quality with other off air stuff.
    It is very rarely I ever sit and think about the quality with Sky, and for me, that is a good plasma.

The Rolls Royce may be comfortable, easy to drive and top dollar, but do you really think it is the best performer? ;)