Dilema Sony BDPS 5000 or Pioneer Pioneer BDP LX91

FordyUK

Standard Member
Reaction score
Thanks for any advice here. Found out that my girlfriend has a connection at work on the AV wholesale space..... after a new amp, speakers and TV were purchased some months ago :mad:. So determined to take advantage of this and make a saving for a Blu-Ray player. I've been looking around for a while and fallen foul of the 'wait to see what's released next' bug which is doing my head in.

My current kit is:
37" Panasonic LZD85 - 1080p
Arcam A90 Stereo amp - running 2 speakers to the front

I will use this player to play BD and DVD. I was originally considering the BD35/55, but from what now believe I can save on a top end BD player, I'm considering the Pioneer LX-91 (priced @ £1250). The contact has also thrown the Sony BDPS 5000 into the equation, which I hadn't considered before. Given the set up I currently have, and I have no intention of getting an AV Receiver in the near future, is it worth spending the extra to go for either of these.

I know ultimately that the decision is mine and I intend to test these out on my current set up, but I really rate the advise given on this site and would welcome any if people here think I'm wasting money for the end result.

Also - from the prices I've seen the LX91 is saving about £200 (the siny is quoted @ £970 which is about market price from what I've seen)

Thanks

Also - from the prices I've seen the LX91 is saving about £200 (the siny is quoted @ £970 which is about market price from what I've seen)

Thanks

You should be able to get the 5000 for about £880 from Hificonfidential. :smashin:
As for whether a high end player is worth it on a 37" screen so what feedback you get.
Cheers.

Personally,I would consider either machine overkill if used with a 37" TV.
However,a question to ask yourself is,despite it being a recent purchase,would you be likely to upgrade to a significantly larger size screen in the near future.
If so,then a high end player might be a worthwhile investment,especially bearing in mind imminent price rises due to the devaluation of sterling
I personally run a Sony BDP-S5000ES into a 60" TV,and consider it to be a superb machine.
Compared to it's USA price,it appears to be underpriced in the UK.

Thanks guys. I'm unlikely to upgrade the TV for a few years at least. I hadn't really considered it from that angle, so maybe I should again be looking at the Panasonic BD35/60 which will save me a bit of £.

Thanks guys. I'm unlikely to upgrade the TV for a few years at least. I hadn't really considered it from that angle, so maybe I should again be looking at the Panasonic BD35/60 which will save me a bit of £.

Good move i reckon. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom