Dilema - Portable DVD or Archos WIFI?

willcooper

Standard Member
Hi All

Firstly sorry if this has been posted before but haven't seen thread on this.

I'm trying to decide between a Portable DVD player (LG DP391B) or Archos 704. Essentially it's for my kids to watch in car, plane etc. However I'd also like to view downloaded content off my WD USB drive with the missus. I guess answer is it's down to personal preference - but I'm torn over issues such as screen size, sound quality (kids won't want earphones on!), functionality etc.

Both products are around same price and whilst LG is bigger screen and plays DVDs etc it doesn't offer bonus of WIFI, open browser, ability to use Archos as a SATNAV!

Would welcome advice from anyone else who's suffered similiar dilema!

Thanks

MarkTaylor

Both products are around same price and whilst LG is bigger screen and plays DVDs etc it doesn't offer bonus of WIFI, open browser, ability to use Archos as a SATNAV!

I don't think the 704 offers all of those either :)

SatNav was never released for the 7" versions AFAIK and then only for the 605 and 5, not the older Gen4 devices.

Sound quality without headphones is poor on all of these devices and the kids will have to get used to using them if they want to use the device in-flight so may as well get them used to them in the car.

You can get DVD players that will read from a USB drive and unless you want to get into the black-arts of DVD ripping I'd suggest that is probably the best route for the kind of use you describe.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom