Dilema.....please help

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by MarkTy, Jun 7, 2005.

1. MarkTy

MarkTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help me with some advice

I want to take up sky's offer of a second sky plus box and multiroom (£99 and £10 per month I believe)

That's fine.....

But what's likely to happen at the end of the year when I want to get a Sky HD box (Which will have all the attributes of sky plus too). Because I'll only be half way through my contract period does that mean i won't be able to get a discounted HD box etc etc.

What's likely to happen....and if I get the second sky plus box now....am I backing myself into a corner for later in the year.

Hope someone can make this clearer for me

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think you're being a bit premature. Nobody really knows how many HD channels there will be, or how much the HD box will cost. One thing is for sure, when the Sky HD service starts, 98% of the channels currently in the Sky line-up will still be SD.

3. MarkTy

MarkTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but clearly you will need a new box when the HD service is launched....and if you're in the middle of a subsidised contract that may cut your options down
    (Either paying for a full price HD box...or waiting until your cotract runs out before getting the HD box)

I suppose what I'm getting at really....is it madness for me to get a second sky plus box now....knowing I'll wnat ther Sky HD box in December/January

(Background....I'm converting garage into Plasma room and it'll be finished next month....hence the need for sky multiroom and Sky plus facilities ASAP)

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Are you sure the Sky HD box will have all the facilities of Sky+ ? I've seen nothing official to that effect. I'm not disputing what you say, but there's stacks of rumours circulating on what Sky are going to do.

5. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,521
    The Sky HD box is rumoured to be in the region of £500-£600 so even if you lost the £99 you just paid it'll seem like peanuts. Sky won't have their HD boxes out for at least 12 months I reckon & it'll be 2 years before anything worthwhile is broadcast in that format & at a pay-per-view cost no doubt, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

There is a press release here which indicates a SKY+ HD will be the STB of choice.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I'll wager a few pennies that there is a HD service out for the start of this years Premiership, maybe not a true domestic service but certainly a service for pubs/clubs who currently show footy.

SKY could launch a full fledge sports and movie channel quite easily and since SKY1 is heavily US orientated getting HD content for that is not a problem.
    Discovery has a mature HD package in the US so again could do a deal with SKY just like they did on the analogue service, putting together a worthwhile package is easy.

Having said all that even if they do launch a partial service this summer there is no rush for the casual viewer to sign up due to the costs involved and as time passes more content appears especially if the BBC gets a bit nervous:)

Personally I hope SKY do launch this year, with Premiere and TPS leading the way do they really want to look like followers:)

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

There are no firm figures for the costs of the SKY+ HD hardware, installation and eventual subscription and certainly no indication if the STB will be subsidised. In fact considering the costs involved and the market SKY will be targetting I doubt very much there will a subsidy not until SKY have hoovered up those (like me) who have waiting so long a genuine HD service.

So if you are part way through an existing contract and take out SKY+ HD you will begin a new 12 month contract for the SKY+ HD and channel subscription and those and the existing contract will run side by side.

9. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    I think what will probably happen is they will let you upgrade, but you must take out a new 12month contract, so you cant just get the equipment and bugger off when your original one runs out

10. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,521

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Which is why SKY may consider that using a marketing budget to offer/loan suitable large screen HD panels and STB's to the pub/club with them only paying for content may be a good idea.
    That could showcase the technology and still allow SKY to hit their 2006 target for a domestic launch in time for the world cup.

The problem with the WC is that the BBC and ITV have the UK rights and they have made no commitment to HD broadcasting and while SKY and EURO1080 will have the infrastructure in place they may not be able to get the rights for live screenings.

HD is a high end niche product but like televison itself, VHS/DVD/Widescreen etc over time it will get cheaper and more plentiful bringing it into the reach of the average punter. You've got to start somewhere though:)