• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dilema, honest help and advice required

@it

Standard Member
Hi,

My first post so please don't scorn if posted in the wrong place, (sorry mods) came here after reading a few pages (well probably several hundred pages) got some good advice and some funnies...

Ok here is my dilemma I have a Home Cinema setup going on a few years but still in mint condition, here is my setup:

SONY STR-DB1070 - 6.1 Digital Amp
SONY DVP-NS700V - SACD/DVD Player
Paradigm PDR10 - Subwoofer
Eltax HT-2 - Rear Dipolar Speakers
MR Centre - Centre Speaker
Mordaunt Short 302 - Front (Replaced from Mordaunt Short 10i Pearl)
QED Quodos - Cables

Ok I am either looking at replacing the whole lot with a SONY DAV-IS10 or do I keep the Amp and SACD/DVD Player get a set of BOSE Acoustimass 10, (I know I've heard it BOSE are good Bose are you know what, “my dad is bigger than your dad”) been offered them for a really good price so that is why I came here.

I hope the above makes sense, do I keep the above setup, down size or do I replace the whole lot...

I mainly listen to music and watch movies via a projector...

Room size 13ft x 9ft...

Or if you have any recommendations or systems I could look at…

Budget in mind £350 -£400

Cheers for reading your time and advice..
Michael

D

Deleted member 161415

Are you happy with the sound, practicality of your current set up?

Would you be thinking about an upgrade if you had not been offered the Bose?

When you listen to you system do you ever think it should sound better?

If the answer to the above is Yes, No & No then keep what you have, after all, the biggest Dads do not necesarily make the best. It all in the eye of the be-holder.

Hope this does help, however, if you are hell bent on changing some of your system it is likely that you may need more than £350 to achieve a hearable difference.

Mark

bxd

Established Member
Hi,

Have you heard the one ...

Bose stands for "Better Off with Something Else" ....

Frankly, with all the changes to system connectors (HDMI and the like, for blu-ray) that'll happen over the next couple of years, I'd stick with your current system. If you're interested in the Bose from the perspective of the 'size' of the speakers, I'd probably look at replacing the current speakers with something from Kef or Tannoy sub-sat ranges. There are plenty of options available from the likes of Richer Sounds and you could always sell your old speakers on the classified ads here on the forums.

Brian

avandmore

Established Member
If you're interested in the Bose from the perspective of the 'size' of the speakers, I'd probably look at replacing the current speakers with something from Kef or Tannoy sub-sat ranges. There are plenty of options available from the likes of Richer Sounds and you could always sell your old speakers on the classified ads here on the forums.

Brian

For sheer performance and value for money I'd be more inclined to look at Canton, www.canton.de

bxd

Established Member
Hi,

OK, fair comment on the Cantons_ personally I'm not familiar with them, so it wasn't something that came to mind. Given budget involved, my suggest of the Kef or Tannoy ranges was for something that's reasonably price and relatively easy to demo.

Obviously, if you choose to go along the sub-sat route, you should go and have a proper listen to any speakers that you're considering.

Also_ if you choose this option you should 'ask' on the speaker forum to get some more ideas_ and consider what Mark said

.... and welcome to the forums.

Brian

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom