1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dila Projector Cable advice (RGBS vs RGBHV)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Hawklan, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi

I've recently purchased a cheap Quadscan Pro scaler to hook up to my JVC DLA G15 Projector. Included with the scaler was a 30ft VGA to RGBS lead

The Quadscan outputs via a VGA socket
    For the inputs into the G15 from the Quad Scan - I guess I should use one of the following on the G15:
    PC (mini D-sub 15 pin)
    RGBHV (BNC)

One of the things I am hoping to improve is the detail of the images which seem a bit soft. I have also noticed some horizontal line structure when outputting a progressive signal from my Arcam DV27

I have connected the 'S' (sync) to the H/Cs BNC connector on the projector
    Everything seems to work - But I'm wondering if I will see an improvement in the picture if I use a straight VGA to RGBHV cable

Many thanks

RON

2. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Ron,

My DILA gives the best picture with the VGA port with my HTPC, 'computer 1' in the menu. Might be different with a scaler.

Make sure the scaler is set to the panel resolution, so probably 1360x1024, but not sure on the quadscan.

Should not look soft at all, should be very sharp with a rock solid picture.

Also adjust the phase and tracking if the picture is a bit unstable.

pixel perfect these look great :)

I would suggest to have a look at HTPC and getting the G15 Calibrated.

A link here at AVS http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=370685 gives you an idea of a calibrated G11 picture , William does a better job than that :)

William Phelps visited to calibrate my ancient old G10 clone last summer, it looks amazing after calibaration. The next time William is in the UK it is certainly worth spending the money. Contrast could at least double with perfect colours. William does a perfect job.

I want a HD2K next :)

good luck !

Mark.

3. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi Mark

I might well try the VGA to VGA out of the scaler to see if it improves things
    I bought the scaler just out of curiosity - Eventually I'll would like to experiment with the HTPC route

The picture is very solid - It just seems a bit soft, almost like it's slightly out of focus. It's the line structure from the progressive out from my DV27 thats really bothering me - It actual fact an interlaced signal slightly improved things (which really does not seem right)

I'm trying to go the Dilard route at the moment regarding calibration - But will try to arrange something with William if that does not work

HD2K sounds like a great idea

I glad there's at least a couple of us with these wonderful beasts

Many thanks

RON

4. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "I want a HD2K next" ME TOO.

I have G10. From my experience the best results come from HTPC connected to the VGA port. The picture is cristal clear and the detail is totally sharp.

Mark, how much did Phleps charges for callibration?

5. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark,

I just looked on the AVSForum link and the photos of the DILA images are awesome.

There is only one player that can produce a picture quality of this kind: HTPC.

I found another thread with some more stunning DILA photos.

6. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi

I now have the Dilard software - But still find that things are still a bit soft - To be honest I may just be expecting too much as I have not seen another Dila in the flesh so have nothing to compare. Saying that after the calibration I found the images to sometimes have a 3D type impact (a quote often made on AVS).

The good news is that I have a HCPC coming at the weekend replacing a Arcam DV27 and probably my Tag AV32R for Audio

So with that and finishing the Dilard Calibration (I should probably get some filters to improve the contrast) - I should be good to go

Many thanks

RON

7. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Branxx,

Sent you a PM about the calibration ;)

I would certainly agree about the HTPC connected to the VGA port, certainly looks better to me than the BNC port on my DILA.

Amazingly sharp and stable picture once phase and tracking tweaked a little bit.

Mark.

8. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark,

Thanks for the PM.

My projector was calibrated in 1999 by Richard B. Martin who was the first guy on AVSForum to start the calibration workshop as a hobby activity. Subsequently, as the number of projectors posted to him started to exceed his free time he passed the knowledge to MVH business in Los Angeles as pure commercial activity. If I am not mistaken, William Phleps was had some consultations with Richard as well.

I took my projector to his house in Southern California and at the time he was charging $600. However, considering the long journey and recent arrival of his first born son the bill was settled over a particularly elaborate 7 course dinner in the local gastronomic den.

My projector had contrast ration of about 250:1 and a visible blue overtone before the calibration. subsequently, contrast was 490:1 with corrected colour space. G15 models suppose to go up to 800:1.

DILA technology was cutting edge 7-8 years ago and even now those early models are still holding very well against the newcomers.

Hopefully, HD2K should come in price ( I am hearing that the real price they being sold in the US is much lower than what is officially asked for them). My only concern is the low light output (600 lumens), which with my 2.75m wide microperforated screen may be too dim.