D'ila, A small G10 review

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gwbailey, Mar 11, 2001.

1. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon, as you seem to know a lot about different projectors, I would be interested to know which projector you think is the best? (eg:Sony,Sanyo,Sim2,Tosh?)and why?

Cheers,
    gwbailey

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    Mr Bailey, thanks for your kind comments. Not sure if I know lots though. I think I'll never know enough!

The thing about these projectors is that they are all application specific devices. You may not choose to use a HT200 where you would a VPL10. I could state my favourite in absolute picture performance but that wouldn't be fair on the others.

I use a CRT at home. I always advocate that you make the choice yourself. I have my favourites and I have my ideas as to what I want to do in my own home. Monetary constraints of course prohibit most of my fantasies.....

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Gordon, I wonder if the yellow cast across the screen could be caused by nicotine. Ie being a demo unit with xxxxxhrs use. A good indication would be if the staining was on the same side as the airvent. Also are they as loud as they say they are!.

------------------
    Reality is just an illusion caused by the lack of alcohol....

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    This post is just my personal observations based on spending a couple of hours with one of these units on Friday.

Just like many of you I have been intruiged by all the talk about the JVC D'ila projectors over at AVS forums. From my knowledge of the technology I had presumed that they would be noisy and would suffer from the "halo" effect you see with DLP's. As they were designed for corporate presentation I was also pretty sure the internal de-interlacing/scaling would not be up to much with film and video. The only person I've ever spoken to who is using one at home called us to see if we had any box's of tricks they could plug in to sort out all the colour problems. However, so many positive things have been said about them that I felt we should investigate.

It's taken a while but I managed to get a dem unit in from a supplier and the following are my findings.

I had two hours with a JVC G10. This unit was fitted with a fixed focal length lens. The throw distance was around 1:1.5 I guess. It had done several hundred hours. It was set up in our large dem room firing at a 7ft wide 16:9 Stewart Screen using Studiotek130 material. I set up brightness, colour, contrast etc as best I could with AVIA test disc prior to any serious viewing.

Immediate first impressions are "It's BIG", followed quickly by "It's LOUD". If you've ever seen a Sony VPL10 then imagine a projector half as wide again and twice the height! After we had it on and focused I stuck on a few discs to see what was happening.

With the Pluge pattern being displayed it was obvious that the colours were going to be way out. The thing has three temperature settings they were, Blue, Green or Red. JVC name them High, Medium and Low. I kid you not the blue, green or red cast's were at times painfully obvious. We chose Medium as that seemed to give the most watchable image.... and no, I never played the Matrix.....

The D'ila panel has a resolution of 1360 x 1024 pixels. Not only that each pixel appears to be spaced very close beside the next.

The thing that struck everyone not just me was how CRT like the image is. Not in black level though. With a good CRT the image has a fluid quality, you can't see the structure of how the image is constructed (ie no scan lines). This is the first fixed panel projector I've seen that does a similar trick. You can't see the pixels unless you are right in front of the screen and there are so many of them that when you're sitting down it looks very CRT ish.

We put on Pleasantville, one of my favourites. This was interesting as it's in black and white in large sections so greyscale inaccuracies are shown easily. It's also got some great shots where you can get a true sense of perspective and that you are looking in to the image rather than at a piece of material stuck on a frame. The sense of perspective thing was happening but the colours were a bit strange. Most noticeable was the fact the right hand side of the screen gave a yellowy cast to everything. This was to show up again on another clip.

We tried another favourite scene in "For the Love of The Game". Kevin Costner is in a bar talking to his girlfiend, then he leaves and watches her form outside the window in th epuring rain at night. This is a good test for how much detail there is in dark scenes. Immediately after this you get a scrolling right to left image of the scoreboard at the Baseball game he's playing in. You see 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 moving across. The zero's are white and the background is black. If there is any motion judder it usually is seen pretty easily here. With the D'ila the scenes in the restaurant and outside were reminiscent of the Sanyo PLV30 and certainly better then our dem SonyVPL10. Not quite HT200 level of black though. The scrolling zero's showed up the yellowy cast on the right of the screen as the white zero's started Yellow and then became white on the left..... The juddery motion was not too obvious. I stuck our Vigatec in to the mix and played the scene again with it doing the de-interlacing and scaling. Motion judder was reduced further and there also appeared to be greater resolution of detail in the darker scenes. I'd have liked to play longer with these together.

Quick ending with a bit of Start Trek. Just played the Enterprise moving through space to see how well it could make something black actually look. It wasn't anywhere like CRT performance but it was much better than I had expected. Certainly watchable for me. Final clip was Leelo on a a ledge from Fifth Element. When she looks up and down the street and jumps off the building, on a good projection device you can actually elieve the cars are flying and that it's real, es[ecially when she jumps, you almost want to swerve out the way yourslef because you think that you are falling. Movement was pretty good on the Dila it looked impressive but not of the "suspend dis-belief" impressiveness I was hoping for and when she jumped I did feel that "falling" sensation.

The Halo effect where light spillage around the chip lights up the surrounding area of the image was much less noticeable on this than on DLP devices I've seen. I guess this is because the pixels are much closer together meaning that less light spills through to the back. This I suppose must aid the ability to get black level down.

From my time with the G10 I'd say that it has potential. Straight out the box it's obviously not up to much for the money. I'd guess the calibrations that folk get done over in the US wil make a big difference, as will a quality off board scaler or HTPC. I now want to get my hands on a JVC calibrated one, a coloromiter and some D'ilard software. I suspect that given enough time I could get a pretty mega picture from one of these.

I took a few digital pics with my 3 yr old VGA digital camera. If someone could show me the code for posting pictures I'd upload them for folk. Some are of the same scene on a VPL10. The G10 was about £8000 I think. I have pricing for the latest models on its way to me. JVC in the UK are, I believe, sending a tech guy over to the US to learn how to do their own factory tweaks. I don't know how much of an effect this is going to have.

Hope this is of some use to folk,

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    Fulabeer:

I'm pretty sure that the staining had nothing to do with nicotine.

I'd say that it was twice the sound level of the SanyoPLV30 but at the same pitch, so it was a loud, low whooshing sound. There is no doub that it would have to be addressed if you were going to have it in the same room as your system.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo