DIGN HV5 has at last been found wanting...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by John_N, Jan 21, 2004.

1. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may recall that some months ago I because the proud owner of a DIGN HV5 case that I went to some trouble to source. I put a review thread in this forum when it arrived and all seemed well.
    The one niggle I had was the 200W micro-atx PSU that it came with....

Well. It's upgrade time and I've just rebuilt my HTPC to be able to handle HDTV time material.

The spec is an Athlon 64 3200 , 1GB RAM, 200 GB HDD, Radeon 9800 pro gfx, DVD writer and nebula digi-TV card.

Well you've guessed it. The computer works reliably most of the time but is now prone to sudden resets... PSU = number one culprit.

Tonight I had to fit an enermax 430W psu. Of course it won't actually fit in the case will it - so at present I have the enermax PSU outside the PC case plugged into some "cable extenders" that are plugged into the motherboard and the various 4 pin connectors inside - the theory being that I would bring out the connectors onto a plate on the back panel, and then simply plug the PSU connectors into the plate. Even better, I could put the PSU into a little custom box of it's own.

It's either that, or buy another case. For the first time I'm wondering whether the LMP-PC case might not have been a better bet even with the slot load drive...
    Ho hum.
    J

2. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry to hear that mate!:( ...i was gonna get the DIGN for my bro...but in the end waited for the new STRATA case....which IMHO is great...and plus i can have a atx PSU too.

3. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The older Dign 4 would be fine, the LNP seems to run hotter and you are stuck with only a little choice for the dvd drive.

Loafer316 - do you have a link for the strata?

4. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  5. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Shame about the screws.
    Trouble is your restricrted to a slot loader with the LMP that said I've had no probs with mine.
    Tim.

6. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    John,

I was interested in the HV5 case until I read your review thread. I was surprised that the depth of it is so much, 452 mm according to the IUNEED website. It won't fit on my TV stand. Is all the space inside all used up? Reason why I'm asking that is I'm wondering if the depth could be reduced by 40mm.

Cheers.

7. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello.
    Most of the space inside the case is used up. It would not be easy to change the depth.

I changed my case to an LMP case which would take the full-size PSU. In a footnote though, it wasn't the Psu which caused the instability. It carried on just as before with the new PSU!

In the end it turned out to be the memory timings which when reduced to CAS 3 from CAS 2.5 helped a lot! However, there are still the occasional crashes leading me to blame a device driver as well. Overall this Athlon 64 thing has proved to be a real pain in the neck.....

8. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've just found out about the new Accent HT-400 . Looks very similar to the HV5, but a bit shorter - 402mm in depth. It's goning to be available from Quietpc in 4-6 weeks.