Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Dign Cases

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jonesthegas, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    These are now being sold at www.quietpc.com (no affiliation).

I was wondering : -

1) There seem to be 2 case fans. Are they quiet? If not, can they be replaced for quiet ones?

2) It has an IR receiver module. Does this do the same job as the IRman I've read about?

3) Is there enough room for a Zalman flower cooler?

4) Are they worth the money?

Martin

2. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I bought one of the original dign cases as part of the AVS powerbuy, similar to the one shown at quiet PC but a single drive version.

Mine came with a single 60mm fan set as exhaust on the back near the processor, not too noisy as it happens but yes they can be replaced, I've experimented with loads but now have none!

The ir receiver does the same job as IRman and is neatly integrated into the display window.

Yes a flower cooler fits easily as that is what I had although depending on the processor it may or not be enough. What have you got in mind?

Worth the money? Million dollar question really, is it worth the money to you, how important is a nice looking case to integrate with the rest of your system or could you hide a beige one away and use an rf keyboard and mouse?

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Course its worth the money, by the time you sue them for your injuries you'll be well in profit! :D

what i actually mean is that the original batch from the avs power buy were a bit rough around the edges at time, well sharp around the edges.... certainly i'll be going for the lmp case next time around

ad

4. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    1) There seem to be 2 case fans. Are they quiet? If not, can they be replaced for quiet ones?
    >My dign has just one fan which is not used, even with a P4 2.4GHz cpu, just an enermax psu.

2) It has an IR receiver module. Does this do the same job as the IRman I've read about?
    >Not used mine yet, nor the LCD, as the connections were wrong on the early ones and I can't be bothered yet! I like the thought of having the LCD showing artist and title for music playback, but don't think I want the extra light leakage for when watching movies on a projector.

4) Are they worth the money?
    No, but it makes me feel good whenever I look at it in the rack between my matching gold Denon THX AV amp and THX power amp!

The drop down drawer works well with a slot loading Pioneer DVD-ROM drive (106s in my case) as it quietens the DVD drive noise.

When I bought the DIGN, I forgot that I'd need to sound deaden such a case as my previous HTPC was a midi-tower with lots of sound deadening within it using slabs of Supermat pink in black bin liner wrapping(!) from B&Q left over from insulating my loft. I also had the old midi tower at the bottom of my rack next to carpet.

This simply doesn't fit in the crampt DIGN desktop chassis, and one that you'll want proudly up in the equipment rack! I was shocked how loud a standard pc it in a metal case, so you might think to also budget for...

1. Sound insulation mats and slabs (quietpc.com??? or Halfords bitumen panel pads + loft unsilation in tight bags if you are a cheapskate like me!)
    2. Low-noise psu power supply (see http://anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1774&p=8 for a psu noise and reliability group test).
    3. a) <6.8W idle hard disk (roughly < 60GB or 5400) and £29 SilentDrive enclosure
    OR
    3. b) Seagate Barracuda IV or V hard disk £82 http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=46

4. Low noise cpu cooler/fan.
    5. a) Low noise Radeon card (Saphire 9000 pro fanless?)
    OR
    5. b) Fanless Video card cooler (quietpc.com?)

Me;
    - I have a slab of supermat behind the thick alu facia, rectangular cutouts where the DVD and LCD areas are. Other bits in gaps to the left and right of the hard drive and DVD-ROM drives.
    - The P4 motherboard and fan have an automatic variable speed, plus Enermax Whisper psu is quiet but apparently not the quietest by a good many dB.
    - The older Radeon 7200 DDR fan seems quiet compared to the cpu/psu fans.
    - I use a pair of Maxtor 5400 drives. Ideally I'd have a single 80GB or 120GB Barracuda.

Summary:
    - DVD-ROM drive is probably still noisiest during movie playback, but then the Barco 808s projector is a bit louder.
    - Listening to music with no projector, the htpc is audiable but not tood distracting.
    - With hindsight, I'd have a quieter psu and a Barracuda hard disk.

regards,
    Rob.

5. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've just gone that way, I've changed an Enermax which really arn't all thattt quiet when the thermo controlled fan speeds up to a Seisonic SS300, recommended on quiet pc reveiw and much quieter

The other change I've recently done is gone for a much better HSF, the thermaltake slk800 and a panaflow 92mm which can be squeezed on the top and because it overhangs the HS allows air to cool the motherboard as well. With this combination with an XP2100+ I have full load temps of 45C with no case fans. I really struggle to know if I've turned it on and once I start my PJ (HS10) you cant hear it at all.:)

What I'm trying to say is less is more.;)

6. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hey John,

Great PSU.... no problem with noise here, it's in my 19" rack in another room ;)

Steve

7. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Steve,

Glad you've got it at last ;)

yeah, I've still got another in my desktop PC and no complaints but in my HTPC in the sitting room noise was still a bit of an issue and I started reading stuff on modifying them to make them quieter and decided it was too good to mess around with.

8. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Interesting link JTG.

Loved the case

Attached Files:

9. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for the replies. This case does look an attractive option.

John Spicer wrote:

As I mentioned in another thread, I had thought about the C3 processor from VIA but am now veering towards something more conventional such as a XP 2200+.

One further question. These silentdrive HD enclosures - do they not cause HD temperature problems? And I presume the ones with fans avoid this at the expense of noise?

Martin

10. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Then the flower just wont cut it without loads of case fans, the way to go is the thermaltake slk800 with a 80 or 92mm panaflow slow (>2000 rpm) fan. No case fans needed then.;)

11. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    John, I cannot find these. Where do I get them from?

Martin

12. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  13. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Cheers John.

Martin

14. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,433
    Couple of questions re the fans to use with the SLK800, which "tail" do you need, 3 pin or 4 pin and how exactly do you fit the fan with the SLK800? Also will the SLK800 and one of the low volume fans be sufficient for an XP2700+ Athlon CPU?

Cheers,
    Andy.

15. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The 3 pin connects to a MB header where the 4 pin comes straight off of a power supply hardrive connecter. It fits by cliping over the top of the HS using some springy metal clips. I have the low volume 92mm fan on my xp2100 and it runs with 100% processor usage at 47C, I have overclocked this processor to 2700 speeds and at full processor it ran at around 55C. I only tried it like that for a while thoughg as I thought it was both extreme and unnecessary for the use of the HTPC.

16. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,832
    I'm running an XP2400+ with just the flower, it's fan and nothing else, all sitting inside a DIGN case with sound absorbing material. It's probably quite warm inside but it all works fine :)

17. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    JohnS,

What temp monitoring software do you use for the CPU temps?

I have just ordered a flower cooler, but am having second thoughts now, I plan to run an Athlon at 2700 speeds.

Cheers

Rob