• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Digitizing 35mm slides - what resolution?

arachnoid

I'm lining up a winter project - digitizing my 35mm slide collection. I have an Epson Perfection slide scanner (flatbed) with a slide attachment, which is supposed to be OK. Though I wonder about the illumination... What resolution do I need to scan these slides to get something decent to work with in PS?

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
You should be looking at something around 2700ppi this should give you a file around the 20-25MB range in RGB colour, depending on your crop.

This will be large enough to do some reasonably detailed editing in Photoshop, and give you enough resolution to print at A4 at around 300dpi.

Scanning at a higher resolution won't gain you much, as you'll just start resolving more film grain, rather than actual detail.

weetsie

intrested, i always scan at max resolution on my flatbed scanner.

at 2700ppi you should get like 3720px along the longest side which is like 8MP or something? or are my maths way off?

ryart

As per Liquid's good advice, but also try to choose a resolution that is a multiple of the scanners native resolution (e.g 1/2, twice), or better still scan at the native resolution. This will save the scanner having to interpolate from its native resolution to your choice of resolution.

The scanners native resolution should be published in the specs, and may be less impressive as the figures quoted on the side of the box.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom