1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digitising Hi-8 tapes

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by DuncMc, Jan 12, 2005.

1. DuncMc

DuncMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks - my first posting! :hiya:

I want to digitise my Hi-8 tapes of my kids growing up. I have just bought an end of line Samsung Hi-8 for £119 to replace my old Sony which had expired!
    However, before I buy a capture card, I have just read that it is better to get a camcorder to digitise the analogue tapes and output the "footage" in digital format. (Apparently giving better results than a capture card.) The only Sony that can read Hi8 tapes, that I know of, is the Digital 8 TVR 460. However, Sony tell me that it only outputs the Hi-8 tapes as analogue. Is there such a beast as a camcorder that can read Hi-8 and output digitally?

Thanks
    Dunc

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Probably the cheapest route to getting your Hi8 tapes onto a PC in the best possible quality is with a converter such as the Canopus ADVC55 at around £155. These converters plug into the PC via firewire and are about the best consumer analogue to digital converters around. There are several different versions, some with analogue outputs as well and even one with a TBC to improve poor analogue video, but obviously the price rises with the features.

Mark.

3. silverrope

silverrope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read on other forums that the TVR460 can output Hi8 as digital. But then perhaps analogue-to-digital output of Hi8 works in only US versions of the TVR460. I am interested in knowing as I plan on buying the TVR480 for exactly the same purpose (see my post in the Enabling DV-in thread).

Best regards,
    Mak

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an older TRV120 digital camera which I use for playback of some Hi8 archive, it outputs through the firewire and cam be operated from the software control panel.

I can't comment on the newer digital8 cameras, but as this is now about their only selling point, it would seem absolutely insane if they didn't support AV-DV out and OHCI firewire control.

5. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont know if this is of any use to you but I tranfered all of my old 8mm tapes onto mini DV tapes by simply plugging on old 8mm camera into a DV camera using an AV connecter and copiing camera to camera. I was the able to video edit them and burn to DVD.