1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digitheatre LC upgrade

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ric_hall, Nov 20, 2003.

1. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically I am looking for information regarding my options for setting up a decent speaker system for gaming through the 6 - channel input(from an audigy 2) .

I purchased a Digitheatre LC(http://www.pure-digital.com/Products/Product.asp?Product=VL-60507&PageType=Specs) from Scan.co.uk a few days ago to replace an - ahem - Creative 2200 set-up . After setting it up I noticed a few problems with the system:

1. The volume of the centre channel is lower than the other channels and cannot be equalised using the calibration utility - already at max .

2. The overall bass of the system is - how shall I put it - sh**e . The bass lacks punch and the lower frequencies sound as though they have come from somewhere else - far away, which mucks up the overall sound . Then there is the fact that the subwoofer is effectively a large speaker(check the specs) and only rated to go as low as 50Hz .

Before I start you should know that my listening environment/area is only about 2.2 - 2.5 metres squared . The walls are wallpapered, the floor is carpeted . I cannot change the listening environment, so I therefore can't shift kit to elsewhere . I am more than happy to mount speakers on the walls for the extra distance if required . The centre speaker location is currently on top of my monitor and is therefore fairly close - less than a half metre to the listening position, which can be shifted if you can figure out a way of doing so .

Now to my request .

I therefore have one of the following options:

1. Return the speakers to Scan.co.uk - Can anyone figure out a good excuse I can use to allow me to return a set of speakers than have already been taken out of the box and set-up? - contents undamaged and accounted for .

2. Replace the speakers for another computer oriented sound solution - more cubes anyone? Any recommendations?

3. Replace the current 'sub' and amp for an amplifier/receiver and subwoofer, but maintain the current 5.0 speakers from the LC . Pay particular attention to the ohm and wattage ratings of the 5.0 speakers if you intend to make a comment on this(check link above) . Obviously I would be looking for any recommendations for kit assuming an overall budget of £200-£250 for both sub and amp .

4. Much as above, but with an aim to replacing the 5.0 speakers with seperates . Take well into account listening distances, size of the speaker(s) and the definite requirement that all the 5.0 speakers must be magnetically shielded . Any recommendations - the cheaper the better as long as they are 'good enough' for this particular application .

2. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump

I am bumping this post up a little bit - not to be offensive, but I will ultimately have to make a decision by Monday as which way to go .

Anyway, with regards to going for a full separates system (option 4) I have had a quick look at richersounds(yes I know a lot of you don't like them very much) and have seen the likes of building a separates system using magnetically shielded speakers such as the Mission M71i or going for a full package such as the Mordaunt Short Premier System(this seems to fit the bill quite well - not sure about wall mounting - can anyone who has this system enlighten me?) .

There are two questions(make that paragraphs ;-) that I would really appreciate a response on:

What are my options for returning the Digitheatre LC as described in option 1? - assume the seven day mark to be Wednesday the 26th of November .

Will speakers systems such as the Mordaunt Short be able to operate well, taking into account the listening distances? - I know computer audio systems seems to use some sort of system/technique for reproducing the audio fairly well with a listening distance of only one metre/three feet . Is this done in the sound card, amp or the speakers themselves? Will the Shorts(Premier not THX) fare any worse than either the 2200 or the LC in this respect? Also, I've heard something(not sure if true) about the Creative speakers with regards to re-directing aspects of the bass to all the satellites as well as the sub . Will either the listening distance technique or the bass re-direct have an effect on the receiver/amp I may potentially choose?

Thankyou in advance for any replies,

Richard Hall

3. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to inform you that I have decided to return the Digitheatre LC to Scan.co.uk for a refund, and that you can now disregard option 1 .

With regards to the rest of the questions, I am only looking for short answers to most of them, incase they looked a bit intimidating .

Basically the point of the thread is to find the most appropriate speaker solution to use with my PC, without having to return equipment after I have bought them .

4. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seem to be getting good at this...

Right, the two questions I am really asking are:

Can I use speaker systems such as the Mordaunt Short Premiers for 'PC sound' in such an enclosed space?

Is there anything I should know that stops me from choosing a 'normal' speaker package and having to choose a package designed for 'PC sound'?

5. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The speakers should be magnetically shielded, at least the front 3.

6. ric_hall

ric_hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I intend to buy(order anyway) a new speaker package on Tuesday the 2nd of December . I have chosen to pick up either the Acoustic Energy AegoP5 speaker package or the Mordaunt Shorts Premier coupled to a Denon 1603 .

Does anyone have any suggestions or preferences as to which one to pick up?