Digitalbits are reporting bad framing on R1 BTTF Widescreen

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by castle, Dec 19, 2002.

1. castle

castle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just read on Digitalbits.com that Universal have admitted there is a framing problem on Widescreen BTTF Part 2 and 3.

They don't actually specify if it's just R1, but as it's an American site, I guess that's what they're talking about.

They will be offering replacements in February for those that want them.

Anyone have the R1 boxset? Mine's in the christmas post and I was wondering how bad it really was.

For those with R2/R4 Boxsets, how's the framing on your discs?

Regards

Mark

2. castle

castle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to follow up, according to the Home Theatre Forum (HTF), this does affect all Regions (2 & 4 also).

They have a massive thread running over their including comparison screenshots:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112569

The main issue seems to be with framing the image too high so there is extra headroom, but the lower half of the shot has been eroniously cropped off.

Anyone noticed this?

Regards

MarK

3. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I didn't notice it, until now!

So how do we get the new disc's for the Aussie version. Can we send them to Universal UK? Or do we go through CD-WOW!? Or do we send it to Universal, Australia?

JD

4. CW1000

CW1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think that Universal UK or Aus have admitted the discs are faulty yet. Only Universal US has admitted that the discs are faulty and provided a method to replace them (but it won't
    be until feb 2003).

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much of the bottom has been cut off? Are we talking just a couple of scan lines here?

6. castle

castle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you follow the link in my second post you will see the extent of the damage.

It aint good.

:(

The single worst example seems to be when in Part 2 Doc presses the button on Marty's Jacket. This now takes place off-screen.

Check out this link for evidence:

http://www.bttf.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=001052

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll check my R4 copy. Can't say I noticed anything that bad, but the mind can play tricks.....

EDIT - I love the typos on that thread, especially the guy that typed "foolscreen" instead of "full screen" :D :D

8. castle

castle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Wife just rang to say my R1 boxset has arrived.

I'll be skipping straight to disc 2 for the 'button-pressing' sequence tonight.

Will post again with results.

Regards

Mark

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, attached is the R4 scene of when Doc presses the button on Marty's jacket. Looks to show a little more lower down than the R1 shot that was given in the web link but does seem to show that the framing error does indeed affect all regions.

I guess that means people who want to exchange their R4 copies, will have to send them off to some address in Australia. Wonder how Universal will feel sending replacement R4 disks to the UK.... However, the fact that the box set is dual region coded, should be in our favour and I would hope there would be a UK address we could send these to instead :)

I have to be honest - I'm not sure if I'm bothered or not right now. It's about the bottom 1/3rd of the frame that's missing, so I guess that's a big deal; but we have to remember as well that the laserdisk release had framing errors too and BTTF was filmed in 4:3 and then matted, so of course there will always be more that we could see but what should it really look like and just how much is really missing compared to the cinema release? It's hard to tell....

I hope Universal do issue new transfers and let us swap them though for the simple fact that it would be grossly unfair if they only end up doing this for R1! However, if they do turn out being stubborn about it, then maybe I'll feel compelled to buy the R1 box set, despite already having bought the R4 :rolleyes: - depends how I feel at the time I guess and how cheaply I can pick up the R1 box set for (once we know for sure it's been fixed on all new releases of course). And maybe the badly framed R2/R4 box sets will be worth something to collectors 10 years from now - who knows? :D

Hhhhmmmmm..... we'll just have to wait and see how it all pans out ......

Attached Files:

10. castle

castle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Checked out my R1 last night and the image was identical to your screen cap from R2/4.

Seems they used exactly the same master for all regions.

As for exchanging, I think I'll wait until I watch the full movies before deciding if I need to put myself through the hassle of trying to a convince them to send replacements across the Atlantic.

Regards

11. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ok, Im just looking at the screen capture that they used being the most obvious (as there are several framing errors).

What exactly is everyone getting so annoyed about?

After studying the evidence, I have come to the conclusion that everybody (with the exception of me and a few others) wants to see Marty's groin!!! :p

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah and we also wanna see what Doc's holding in his left hand ;) :p

13. castle

castle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having watched all three R1 flicks this week, the only scene that is adversly affected (IMHO) is the jacket drying sequence that I quoted when I started this thread.

I for one won't be exchanging disks 2 and 3 in February (or perhaps that should be trying to exchange.)

14. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I can't say it bothers me too much, but it's something to moan about and keep the board buisy non the less!

15. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Can someone please post the pricise position (time) of that scene. and which disk no. it was and I'll check my copy.

I have been making many adjustments to the layout (internal menu's) of my widescreen TV and think it's fairly spot on now.

16. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    "Q. But it's the widescreen version! Shouldn't I be seeing MORE??

A. Normally, yes. However BTTF was filmed in a more rare format where the full frame is "matted" (covered, 'black bars' on the top and bottom) to achieve a widescreen ratio. When the film is released on Pan & Scan, the film is unmatted. Thus you see more of the picture vertically, but this is usually not the way the director intended. Most of the time the director prefers the widescreen framing of his film."

Is there a 4:3 DVD version available? not saying i'd buy it, but sounds interesting. If i remember correctly some of James cameron's movies were made in 4:3 and croppped for widescreen...

17. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  18. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I believe that the special effects were shoot widescreen whereas live action was 4:3.
    So yes, you're right about the fullfarme edition, the special effects would be panned & scanned but you would get the whole 4:3 live action image & with the widescreen version you'd get all the special effects but loose some of the live action top & bottom due to matting.
    The latter is the way you'd have seen it in the cinema (assuming it was framed the same then :D )

Cheers, Paul