1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

digital viseo essentials pal and ntsc ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jonnyv, Jun 16, 2005.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Ive got the new dve pal version and the old ntsc version, am i right in thinking the difference between the two versions would be the colour setup of the picture and not the geometry ?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,083
    There are differences in the colours, but it's marginal so I doubt you'de notice the difference. The nost noticable difference is the black level - your DVD player will output PAL black as 0millivolts, and NTSC will output black as 53millivolts, so your display should be set-up correctly for both formats.

One way round that is if your DVD player has a 0ire or similar setting for NTSC black. Then both PAL and NTSC will display black correctly.

If they can't be displayed seperately, then one will compromise the other, such as grey blacks or too much black and loss of shadow detail.

Gary.

3. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    thanks for the reply, my dvd player (toshiba sd900e) has an option to set the black level. I will have to check if its ok for pal and ntsc