1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Video Essentials?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by happyh, Oct 6, 2004.

1. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can any of you experts fill me in on the benefits of a DVE disc?
    What does it do or assist you to do?
    I have a new viera imminent. Will a DVE help?
    Thanks.

2. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    On the video side, DVE will help you set brightness, colour, tint and sharpness.
    It is geared towards CRTs though so a lot of the information is largely useless (and very cheesy).
    I found it no good for setting contrast (or is that brightness, I can't remember?) as it referred to blooming which obviously a plasma doesn't suffer from.
    Anyway, I had to use the THX optimiser to do one of the settings as it was better than the DVE disc.

On the audio side, it has test tones and frequency sweeps but I use the internal test tones in my amp so I have never used them and can't vouch for how good/bad they are.
    These tones can also be downloaded from the net anyway.

All in all, it's not ideal for setting up a plasma and AV amp and considering I only used 3 of the test screens (brightness, colour, sharpness) it's not very good value at all.

However, you do need something to set up your screen properly so I guess you don't really have much choice...

3. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Brightness and contrast are easy to setup if you use the 'inverse grey ramps'?

The levels at the left / right that are marked with dots represent white and black (AFAIK)... ideally you want anything outside of those markers to not be distinctly clear, and within those markers there should be a 'clean' greyscale - ie. the shade inside the white should be 'just' visible, and the shade directly inside black just visible.

You should check brightness with the other ramps as well - ie. in the SMPTE bars - the largely colour with greyscale at the bottom - nothing should be visible as a distinct shade in the right hand side of the greyscale.

Depending on your panel, you may have to back the contrast down a bit. For the LG 42px11 (my display), it's quite possible to run at 100 contrast, and switch the display into the low power mode.

4. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Thanks for that Graham.
    I'll look into those test screens.
    The DVE disc itself doesn't explain how to use any of the additional reference material.

5. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is something I just can't get clear. I have read and heard many people talk about how easy it is to set up the cintrast on a plasma using these ramp patterns etc... but it still doesn't make sense to me. Is it possible for someone to post the test patterns and using arrows indicate exactly where one should be looking when making the adjustments.

I went through these patterns last night on my Philips 42PF9946/79 and ended up with my brightness at 50/100 and contrast at 27/100. Color is at 64/100 with the "warm" setting and the sharpness is at 2/10.

I am wondering if these values are .....well I guess....normal? I know thats a difficult question, but what I'm getting at is the very low contrast setting (27/100). Has anyone else had a similar range?

HOw do you detect "clipping" in the video signal?

I agree that the DVE is really not geared towards plasma screens, but perhaps a clearer explanation of how to use the patterns for plasma's would be really nice.....after all....we did pay the some money as everyone else, and yet those with CRT sets seem to be getting more value out of their DVE disk!

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    steffche seems about right to me mate but would need to see your display

7. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you mean?

8. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    You could always downgrade... :D ;)

9. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have already hassled the retailer enough when I swapped my 42PF9945 for the newer and improved 42PF9946 screen. I don't think they'd be real happy about me swapping it again!

Besides I like the fact that I have a flat panel hanging on my wall.

Just a question......and please be honest anyone...... Even with the top notch High Def plasmas....if you stand 2 feet from the screen, do dark areas in the picture look spotty? or grainy...excuse me for not knowing the terminology.

Cheers!

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    depends if it is a pio or a panny pio yes ish panny not really poor plasmas have a lot of green in the black areas 35" JVC is perfect example black is actually green flicker!!!!

11. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can this be corrected?

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not really.............. can be tweaked/minimised but thats about it...... Big advantage of panny is the blacks......... big advantage of pio is higher res.....

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    steffeche if you are in OZ and can get HD Veira that would be the worlds best sensible plasma TV............. Europe only 50" is HD....

14. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are your views on the Philips? I had the opportunity to see them (Viera and Philips) side-by-side and thought there wasn't much between them??? Then again, I never really like the way they are hooked up in the retail stores here...all chained to the same Set top box, and when you ask them to play a DVD through it they hook up a cheap dvd player with composite and ofcourse the quality is going to ordinary....but I figured at least they were both connected the same way with the same equipment, so no real disadvantage to either models.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    personally i hate phillips plasmas......... Sorry mate.....they do have some serious fans tho i think

16. Steffche

Steffche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what reasons? Hate is a very powerful word....

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    poor PQ and build horrid remoe.... but most are stupid on screen menu Early models a pixel nonesense........ UK market quite diferent from the rest of the world but just my opinion