Digital Video Essentials question

GAmbrose

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've got a Panny PWD6 and I am happy with the picture, but other than some minor tweeks I am pretty much using it how it came out of the box.

Now, I know that DVE is highly recommended for calibration, and that you need both NTSC and PAL discs if you are a multiregion user.

My question though is this, Does the Panasonic have seperate settings depending on which type of video source you are watching? I was under the impression that it had universal settings which altered everything. For instance if I calibrate it using the NTSC disc, won't these changes also affect PAL broadcasts?

I'd say 70% of my DVD collection is NTSC Region 1 anyway, and I have an NTSC Gamecube and Xbox but I also have Sky+ and a PS2 which are both PAL, so I really would need to calibrate for both.

Regards
Gary Ambrose

No, your panel will recognise and store separate PAL and NTSC settings on each input.

Hope that helps.

JP.

Ah right, Thanks.

Now, who are selling it the cheapest for both Discs? :)

Gary A

I have both discs and a Panny PW5. I can tell you that you will probably be fine with just the NTSC version, the settings are the same for both (on my panel).

are you sure it will remember different picture settings for ntsc and pal? i`m sure mine dont?

mine is a 4 series though. way around this was to use normal for pal and dynamic for ntsc

wooops sorry should have read the replys properly

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Well a 5 series remembers.

Originally posted by gmt steve
Well a 5 series remembers.
Yes, series 5 remembers different PAL, NTSC and other input's individual settings.

Futhermore, if your screen's greyscale is ISF Calibrated -- which in itself will give a much greater enhancement -- the PAL and NTSC will give more divergent settings.

StooMonster

As Sto says. The user settings are offsets from hidden service menu settings. Full calibration allows the Service menu's to be set in tandem with the user menu's to get the most accurate image.

Using NTSC DVE will get you most of the way there with your user settings as long as you have a DVD player that allows you to set it's black level to match that of PAL. If you don't then it is very probable your brightness settings are going to be wrong on one or compromised on both.

Gordon

as long as you have a DVD player that allows you to set it's black level to match that of PAL. If you don't then it is very probable your brightness settings are going to be wrong on one or compromised on both.

Sorry, I should have said that when I recommended you just try NTSC DVE.:blush:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom