Digital Video Essentials (DVE) US HD DVD - distributed on 24th of April

AES256

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks like we finally have a date for DVE now.
Robert from Value Electronics says that the US nationwide distribution date has now been set for the 24th of April:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showpost.php?p=103336&postcount=21

None of the online retailers that I just checked e.g. Amazon US etc. are listing a date yet but Robert Zohn has been a reliable source of information in the past.

I wonder if HMV will have it in for £7ish again.... :rolleyes:

I wonder if HMV will have it in for £7ish again.... :rolleyes:

Haven't seen any mention of a UK release so far but yes, 'twould be nice to get this for less than £10.
Robert also mentions that there's no announcement of a BD version of DVE.

I got an email from Amazon yesterday saying there was a delay on this and the Antarctica one but no date given. Anyone know if Planet Earth is still on schedule for 24 April?

I got an email from Amazon yesterday saying there was a delay on this

The info provided in this thread is from a guy who works for Value Electronics (a US AV retailer) and who is pretty much giving us insider information (on AVS) about the availability of DVE; even sharing that the first first batch of DVE discs is underway to VE from the supplier. And sharing his findings of the DVE evaluation disc he was sent some days ago.
As we don't have such an "insider view" of other retailers e.g. Amazon etc. and they will only update their official info when they have solid dates, this VE insider view from Robert on AVS is exactly that: advanced info on the DVE product.
I, and I'm sure others on AVF, will be perusing our usual online retailers for when they start taking orders for this US release.

Where else can I buy this from? I get all my HD-DVD's from DVDworldusa but they dont have it listed on their site.

movietyme have it for pre-order. :smashin:

Is suspect that this is still the legacy listing of DVE, not an updated or new listing based on the now recently confirmed 4/24 US dist date.
DVD Pacific and Amazon US also list DVE but none of them provide a release date. It may be best at this point to mail your retailer of choice and ask them to confirm when they can ship the disc to you.
Or just wait for them to update their web sites when they have confirmed stock being shipped to them from their suppliers :)

PS The only retailer, that I've seen so far, who has confirmed to having stock and the 4/24 shipping date to customers is Robert from VE (shipping to the US and Canada only I suspect), but that was "insider info" from Robert posting on the AVS Forum.

Reviews are starting to come in as well now (since preliminary check discs were sent out to reviewers and selected retailers a week or so ago):
DVD Talk review

I'm not sure when Movietyme expect to get DVE in stock, but from past experience I would expect them to get it fairly early on and have it on my door mat within hours.. :D :smashin:

Cheers for the review, looks good :cool: The SD side will be handy as I can do all of my kit now. :smashin:

Well, well. My Amazon US order for DVE has just changed status to Shipping Soon. :cool:

It is available to order @ play.com, where they are quoting a release date of 30th April.

Looks like the UK version has just been released.
I'd forgotten that I'd pre-ordered this months ago,had an email today from play saying that its been shipped at the pre-ordered price of £7.99 :thumbsup:

Yup mine has shipped as well although mine was a pre-order of £9.99

Then again, I need Microsoft to release the HD-DVD updates so I can play the darn thing on it

Looks like the UK version has just been released.
I'd forgotten that I'd pre-ordered this months ago,had an email today from play saying that its been shipped at the pre-ordered price of £7.99 :thumbsup:

I recieved my US version a day or so back, unfortunately the menus don't work properly, seems to be a common problem when used on an Xbox drive through a PC. It will be interesting to see if your UK version is alright?

Cheers

Has any one found using this after already using SD versions to have a huge difference in their settings?

Am I being stupid? Frustratingly, there's no indication of how any of the video test patterns should be used. Am I supposed to go to their website too? :confused:

Also, is anyone else finding this incredibly slow to use on a HD-E1? Audio test tones take ages to go though, if I press forward to move on a channel there's a long delay, and it pauses automatically :rolleyes:

I've still not got around to running mine, It's so late by the time it goes dark now, that I'm usually settling down to watch a movie at that time not set up the PJ...

Anyhow. :D

I'm sure I read on the info, either on the back cover or the booklet, that the SD version has a full explaination of what,how and where etc. but the HD-DVD version does not... :rolleyes: seemed a little odd and I wondered if I had misread it, I guess not. :(

So great for those who know what they are doing, they can stick in the HD version and get straight to it.... yet those of us who don't! have to go through the SD version before the HD one!! seems like an issue they should change IMO.

I've still not got around to running mine, It's so late by the time it goes dark now, that I'm usually settling down to watch a movie at that time not set up the PJ...

Anyhow. :D

I'm sure I read on the info, either on the back cover or the booklet, that the SD version has a full explaination of what,how and where etc. but the HD-DVD version does not... :rolleyes: seemed a little odd and I wondered if I had misread it, I guess not. :(

So great for those who know what they are doing, they can stick in the HD version and get straight to it.... yet those of us who don't! have to go through the SD version before the HD one!! seems like an issue they should change IMO.

I could understand on the HD-DVD version if the HD side has the instructions but not the SD side but that's just stupid.

Just got the UK version, and I found the HD side easy to use. It helps that I regularly use the standard DVD of DVE, so I know what the tests do and how to use them.

It's odd that the full program isn't on the HD side, and there really should be a wider array of audio tests on the HD side too. But for £7.99 I shouldn't really complain.

Just got the UK version, and I found the HD side easy to use. It helps that I regularly use the standard DVD of DVE, so I know what the tests do and how to use them.

It's odd that the full program isn't on the HD side, and there really should be a wider array of audio tests on the HD side too. But for £7.99 I shouldn't really complain.

Does the UK version work OK then? No problems with menus on the HD-DVD side??

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom