Digital vertical shift and masking - why isn't it more common?

Doug Pyper

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
I've been wondering lately why digital vertical shift isn't more widely available. Partly because its lack of availability means, as far as I can see, I'm somewhat locked into using Kodi.

By digital vertical shift I mean the ability to shift the active video content up or down. Kodi allows one to adjust the position of scope content within the projected image. One can then use this feature to shift scope video to the bottom of a 16:9 drop down projector screen, such that both black bars are at the top, instead of at the top and bottom.

The main benefits of this:
  • The bottom of the scope image is closer to the centre speaker (assuming it's not an AT screen) and typically better aligned with eye level. This means audio from the centre is better locked on to the action and the image is more visually immersive.
  • Being as both black bars are at the top of the projected image, light overspill can easily be masked. This massively improves perceived contrast, especially if you're using a white screen.
On the latter point, I made some magnetically-attached masking for my screen that takes about 5 seconds to attach or remove. It profoundly improves scope content and means the image has a crisp black border. Now that I've tried this, there is no way I'd be without it when using a drop down screen.

1616755334436.png

I'm using a grey screen, so the black bars weren't too bad, but still this is a huge improvement. For a white drop down screen the improvement would be so significant that everyone should do it if they can. Making the masking is relatively easy. The only problem is hardly any media players support the feature and I don't know of a single Blu-ray player that does.

As far as I'm aware, digital vertical shift can be achieved via Kodi and Lumagen (one's free, the other's many thousands of pounds). I think I recall that Dune players have it too, but I'm not sure. That's it, as far as I know.

Am I missing something? Is there some reason why this functionality isn't more popular? It's made such a massive improvement to my image I'm just really surprised more projector users aren't doing it.

I personally ended up going with a scope screen 15+ years ago. I used to do what you are describing with an HTPC back then. I suppose people are used to having black borders and learned to live with them...

Yea, I was on the fence about a scope screen and ended up going 16:9 mainly as I watch a lot of Netflix etc. on the projector. The masking approach means I can switch back and forth between aspect ratios, but if I had a dedicated cinema room I'd probably go with scope too.

I suspect one of the reasons more people don't do this is it's a fairly niche feature, so I doubt many people are aware of it and the masking options it affords. It's a shame though because it's a bit of a revelation once you get it set up properly.

That should be a single button on all projectors really. Like airbags... :D

I've been wondering lately why digital vertical shift isn't more widely available. Partly because its lack of availability means, as far as I can see, I'm somewhat locked into using Kodi.

By digital vertical shift I mean the ability to shift the active video content up or down. Kodi allows one to adjust the position of scope content within the projected image.

That's interesting. Does Kodi allow for 'masking' like used on JVC PJ's. I think Sony calls this 'Blanking'.

That's interesting. Does Kodi allow for 'masking' like used on JVC PJ's. I think Sony calls this 'Blanking'.
Blanking is a bit different. Blanking is a feature on projectors that essentially blanks off video content, rather than moving it. The blank area still projects light, in the same way that the black bars on scope movies project some light.

I've never had much use for blanking with a 16:9 screen, but I think it can be useful for people with scope screens, for watching slightly different ratios.

By digital vertical shift I mean the ability to shift the active video content up or down. Kodi allows one to adjust the position of scope content within the projected image. One can then use this feature to shift scope video to the bottom of a 16:9 drop down projector screen, such that both black bars are at the top, instead of at the top and bottom.

The main benefits of this:
  • The bottom of the scope image is closer to the centre speaker (assuming it's not an AT screen) and typically better aligned with eye level. This means audio from the centre is better locked on to the action and the image is more visually immersive.
  • Being as both black bars are at the top of the projected image, light overspill can easily be masked. This massively improves perceived contrast, especially if you're using a white screen.
On the latter point, I made some magnetically-attached masking for my screen that takes about 5 seconds to attach or remove. It profoundly improves scope content and means the image has a crisp black border. Now that I've tried this, there is no way I'd be without it when using a drop down screen.

View attachment 1482753

I'm using a grey screen, so the black bars weren't too bad, but still this is a huge improvement. For a white drop down screen the improvement would be so significant that everyone should do it if they can. Making the masking is relatively easy. The only problem is hardly any media players support the feature and I don't know of a single Blu-ray player that does.

As far as I'm aware, digital vertical shift can be achieved via Kodi and Lumagen (one's free, the other's many thousands of pounds). I think I recall that Dune players have it too, but I'm not sure. That's it, as far as I know.

Am I missing something? Is there some reason why this functionality isn't more popular? It's made such a massive improvement to my image I'm just really surprised more projector users aren't doing it.
That's similar to what I do.
My screen consists of ProGrey Screen material from Home page - PSM Screens - Projector Screen Material UK stapled to the wall surrounded by DeepBlack Border tape from the same place. I glued a couple of metallic rulers to the wall to the left and right of the screen before covering them with the border tape.
For the masking panels I use Black speaker cloth wound round a wooden batten with small magnets at either end.
When watching 21:9 content, I just unfurl the masking panels and clip the magnets on to the covered metal border.
Takes less than two minutes to switch between 16:9 and 21:9. The rulers are large enough for me to accommodate other aspect ratios too.

Its not the most elegant solution, but the total cost was less than £60

Perhaps projector manufacturers tend to think in terms of fixed frame screens?
i.e. my projector is setup so the middle of the screen is at eye height irrespective of aspect ratio. I certainly wouldn’t want my scope image higher or lower in any event.

A lot of projectors have motorised lens shift which allows the image to be shifted down so it ends up positioned where Kodi positions the scope image. The main difference is, as you say, there is still light projected from the projector off the screen, even if you use the digital masking/blanking feature.

Its probably the closest you get to what Kodi can do, and if you can add black out masking top and bottom of the screen then it would be a reasonable compromise.

A lot of projectors have motorised lens shift which allows the image to be shifted down so it ends up positioned where Kodi positions the scope image. The main difference is, as you say, there is still light projected from the projector off the screen, even if you use the digital masking/blanking feature.

Its probably the closest you get to what Kodi can do, and if you can add black out masking top and bottom of the screen then it would be a reasonable compromise.
This is exactly what I do, I use the lens shift to move scope films to the bottom of my screen. I really can’t see the light projected below the screen.

I made an account just to tell you thanks for posting this. What a game changer, I quickly put together some masking for the top of my image and now use image shift to shift the image to the bottom. Content looks so much better without the grey bars that were annoying me. Just waiting now for Kodi on XBOX to support HDR and Audio Passthrough unless I purchase a shield.

I made an account just to tell you thanks for posting this. What a game changer, I quickly put together some masking for the top of my image and now use image shift to shift the image to the bottom. Content looks so much better without the grey bars that were annoying me. Just waiting now for Kodi on XBOX to support HDR and Audio Passthrough unless I purchase a shield.
That's awesome to hear! Glad it's been of use. I totally agree too, it really is a game changer and makes a big difference to perceived contrast. The only downside is it means one's more or less limited to Kodi, or spending lots of money on other solutions like MadVR or a Lumagen. Not a big problem though, as Kodi is superb.

Another plus of using Kodi is that one can install the Netflix and Prime add ons. That means vertical shift becomes available for those apps. I haven't tried it with Prime, but I have with Netflix and it works a treat. Not sure if it's possible to install those add ons on the Xbox but you can on a Shield/PC.

Just seen this thread; I did something similar years back with my fixed screen and couldn't live without it now. I use vertical shift on PJ to move picture to bottom of screen and mask the larger black bar at top - the mask uses two 90⁰ brackets which slip between screen frame and the frame with blackout material above (more photos in link in sig). Slots in and out in seconds, and lives behind sofa.

16:9 screen
image-20171130_193306.jpg

Older setup/pic but with mask in place for scope
2015-05-14.jpg

Panasonic PT-AE3000,AE4000,AT5000,AT6000 used to use this option as they had a manual lens shift, but as many of the projectors which work with scope via a zoom system usually have electronic lens shift meaning that pixel shifting isn't required. This is because it uses a pre-programmed settings that will just electronically shift the lens as well as the focus and zoom

I agree, it was a neat feature in the Panasonic's, but as mentioned, its just something that no other manufacturers ever thought of using

Thought I’d chip in my use of Kodi’s vertical shift to creat a quasi constant image height (CIH). I projected on to the living room wall for both TV and films. Projector is mounted on a sloping ceiling. The mount lets me move the projector back and forth over 20cm, but with the slope that also means it’s height changes.
Set forward at half zoom I get a 102” 16:9 image for general TV. The image sitting just on top of the front speakers.
For scope I move the projector back (and down) and zoom out to 115” 16:9. With Kodi’s vertical shift I can move the scope image up so the bottom of the image is also just over the front speakers.
Not perfect CIH but gives scope material a grandeur and impact that separates it from TV viewing.
Also a good excuse to handle your equipment.

I would like this feature to move scope material closer to lens centre.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom