1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Vcr Anyone ?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by tiberious, Mar 30, 2001.

Tags:
  1. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got one of these puppies?

I am toying with the idea of getting the JVC 10000 - But at £750 it`s quite a premium to SVHS.

I have got a JVC 7700 at the mo - great svhs picture (et too) , but as I am viewing on a 7ft screen ,would the quality jump be worth it ?

2. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic

I`ll certainly let you know - I think the second generation Digital recorders are due out shortly - so maybe I`ll wait a short while and see what new goodies are included.

Incidentally, svhs on my 7ft screen is very nice - depending on the quality of the signal being fed !.I have mine hooked up to ondigital box ,to tape in widescreen, and some channels are crap - on the whole, movies are pretty good though.

3. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

tiberious,

Do you pass the ondigital signal through an RGB->S-Video converter? I'm contemplating one of those myself & am interested in the quality.

Cheers,

Richard

[ 04-04-2001: Message edited by: Richard Harnwell ]

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have been tempted for some time but with good S-VHS decks at £200, I went that route, for now. When my new big screen is up and running that I will reasses the situation again. If you do anything please let the forum know how you get on.

5. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard

To be honest,my setup is a little convoluted, as I wanted to feed all the tv points in the house with the digital signal.

I currently run aerial to OD box,then loop back to a 5 way signal splitter/booster.

Connection of OD box to projector is scart to scart into my JVC 7700 vcr, s-video to s-video from VCR to Receiver (pioneer908), and s-video to s-video from receiver to projector (sim ht200)

6. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay - phoned JVC and they said no new DVHS model this year, so I took the plunge and bought the HMDR10000 !!

At a penny under £700 it is almost half the original price of £1300 - lets hope it`s worth it !!

Should arrive tomorrow - in time to play over the weekend !!

7. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tiberius

where did you get it from for that price? I'm interested in buying a second DVHS and at that price may well take the plunge

8. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan,

Ordered it from EDC in Bexleyheath -there is an ad in this months(May) What Video - £699.99 plus free delivery. Got a couple of Digital tapes to play with as well (JVC 300 - HAGGLED FOR £8 a chuck !).

Tel 01474 353 000.

What do you own currently , and what tapes do you find work best ?I read that you can use svhs tapes for DVHS recording ?

I will play myself over the weekend, but it`s always a help if someones "been there , seen it, done it" , if you know what I mean !!

9. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've been using Fuji E240 Pro grade SVHS tapes. Have bought about 100 of these so far - very pleased with the quality. Havent used any DVHS tapes as am unwilling to pay the high cost.

Have mainly used the DVHS for archiving my huge VHS collection - eg 70 off air Lovejoy's transferred to 4 tapes when copied to DVHS with a pretty transparent quality of copy.

I havent done much off air recording as I've had my DVHS with me in Holland (where I'm living until today - moving back to the UK tomorrow!) and the signal is very noisy. Usually I get my Dad to record off ondigital onto my SVHS deck and then I transfer the SVHS to DVHS. Using the LS3 mode you can fit 17.25 hrs onto an E240.

What I'm hoping to do in the future is to record off digital TV at the high 14.1 Mbps bit rate and then copy onto LS3 mode for archiving (cutting the ads off during the copying). Sadly you cant do digital to digital dubbing, but I suspect the results should be even better than copying SVHS to DVHS.

Only bitch with DVHS is that picture search is a bit hit and miss and that when you press play it can take a few seconds for the pic to appear.

Overall though, one of my best purchases.

Hope this helps a bit!

10. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent - cheers mate !

I`ll have a play with svhs / dvhs and see if I can see the difference.

- how much are you paying for your fuji tapes ?

11. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the tapes come in at around a fiver each - from pricebusters (www.pricebusters.co.uk IIRC)

as for DVHS and SVHS - I did some tests and a VHS or SVHS copied to SVHS (on the DVHS) looked awful compared to the DVHS copy - really noisy and horrid in comparison.

Only problem is that the DVHS will not record (in DVHS mode) anything that has macrovision. Even when using a macrovision stripper (eg a bugblaster) it still gives the "102 error" and wont record. I tried as a test copying a sequence from the BBC Absolutely Fabulous DVD - wouldnt record. Something to do with the need to restore the "vertical blanking interval".

I then copied a macro'd tape onto SVHS via a macro stripper (which successfully copied) and then ran it through to the DVHS - again nothing doing. Unless you have a special piece of kit, or are handy with a soldering iron the DVHS simply wont record macro'd signals.

Not an enormous loss, but an irritant when copying VHS tapes as some would have to be copied in SVHS rather than straight to digital.

No problem when copying LDs however!

12. ALanJ

ALanJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Back to the beginning of this thread...

I played with a JVC D-VHS for a few weeks feeding in SKY (composite) or OnDigital (Composite) and what impressed was that unlike S-VHS where the output after recording has a slight bluring of the edges the DVHS was exactly as it was input.

I recorded all of the Star Wars movies before returing the recorder to the people I borrowed it from and we set it up with their projector set up (D-VHS -> S-video -> Scaler F5000 -> projector -> 10ft 16x9 screen).

Overall we were impressed (I suppose we should have been considering the setup cost over 100k) by the output quality not quite up to a good DVD but certainly as good as some not so good DVD transfers.

The one thing I would proably done is get an RGB to S-Video convertor to get an even better quality picture to the D-VHS recorder in the first place.

So much for the quality using the sucker is a pain. Used to the last generation of JVC S-VHS recorders which have TBC for rock steady pictures (even in fast forward) the DVHS player is clunky in operation very imprecise control over FF>>/<<FRW like going back to videos of 10/20 years ago.
    Have fun.

13. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, that was fun !!

Had a few set up problems, (not due to VCR), but finally got it ready.Only done a few tests, but I can say the following

1. the picture is stunning in ALL modes on DVHS tape (dvhs std/lp and svhs sp/lp even vhs sp/lp).I was surprised - I thought I would see a much clearer difference.

2 On svhs TAPE the picture is the same for the DVHS modes, and SVHS , ALTHOUGH VHS starts to show the difference.

Result - Looks like I`ll use SVHS tape and LP DVHS Mode.

The above were seen by feeding the vcr Ondigital signals via SCART, displayed on a 7FT wide screen via an HT200 projector.

The controls do appear "sluggish", although I haven`t tested in depth - may have some issues with "pausing-out" commercials while taping.

More when available.....